Truck Fishtailing on Wet Roads

thomas-dash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo 4k, Viofo MT1
It looks like the truck gave it too much gas while turning left onto the road:

The roads do seem more slippery here when they're wet than other places I've driven.

That happens a lot down here in Aus as well, with those people that don't know how to handle a 4 x 4 or ute....even in the dry.
They think they just drive & handle like any sedan & never slow down.

Dumbos.
:)

Driving my ext cab pickup around the turn of the century, using just the RWD mode it was great fun, though people do turn pale in the face when a that sized vehicle come sideways towards them.
But yeah a bit tricky as even though i was a truck, not much weight over the rear wheels, so the 2.5 L turbo diesel was still fine drifting it in a roundabout with slippery surface of some kind.

Nice and easy of course, i dont think i have ever drifted anything faster than at least some people can run.
Even today i made a few turns using the hand brake instead of the steering wheel. just for slow 90 deg turns into and on parking lot.

I already seen that clip in some dashcam compilation videos.

I’m not quite sure why they didn’t let off the gas when they saw they were fishtailing.
Maybe because you're overestimating the intelligence of the average driver. ;)

We see this kind of thing often here in Vermont. We get a lot of tourists and skiers visiting the state from urban areas who don't know how to drive in snowy or icy conditions. To make matters worse, many have 4x4 SUVs that they never really need to use in four wheel drive back home. Then, when they come up here and actually need to use four wheel drive in challenging conditions they think it has some sort of magical abilities that allow them to drive as fast as they please. There is a major road that leads to some of our ski resorts where you can drive along after a snow storm, especially on weekends, and you'll see multiple out-of-state vehicles, especially SUVs and a few pick-up trucks stranded in the ditches on the sides of the road. :smuggrin:

Back