Disappointed with Viofo for Abandoning A129 Duo Owners

So when did a sample size of 1 become statistically valid? I clearly remember being taught otherwise in every class I ever took on statistics.

Because not a single video posted from a 129 Duo is free of duplicates. So chances are that video source is from a time when this issue hadn't occured. But if @TonyM wants to locate other samples, it'd help conclusively prove this theory.

It was the the original A129 Duo (I no longer have it).

Try this link to YT - I downloaded back from there but if you check stats for nerds on it, it shows 1080p.

Bill from Viofo was contacted about the double frame issue and said techs were going to work on a solution. Seems that promise hasn't come to fruition. While I realize the new 4K A129 is Viofo's latest and greatest product, the A129 4K is pre-order only. Meaning those with the A129 Duo still have Viofo's latest technology. And I believe we're owed a resolution to the problem.

I can't be the only one that feels this way?

HonestReview-

I agree with you that Viofo is not giving A129 Duo users the courtesy of "timely customer service". - - Viofo/Bill Zhou said they would correct the sensitivity problem with the g-sensor in parking mode a month ago... - just another broken promise! - - Meanwhile the regular Viofo Fanboys come up with all kinds of excuses as to why Viofo cannot deliver on their promises.

Last edited:
HonestReview-

I agree with you that Viofo is not giving A129 Duo users the courtesy of "timely customer service". - - Viovo/Bill Zhou said they would correct the sensitivity problem with the g-sensor in parking mode a month ago... - just another broken promise! - - Meanwhile the regular Viofo Fanboys come up with all kinds of excuses as to why Viofo cannot deliver on their promises.

Bill Zhou asked me for a clip and explanation of the dupe frame problem. I provided him with a very detailed explanation of how to replicate the problem, along with two clips for comparison. V1.11 that doesn't suffer the issue and a clip from a later firmware that has dupe frames.

We'll see what happens....

Thanks for sharing the clip.

As I talked before, this is not an urgent issue we need to fix at this moment.

Thanks for sharing the clip.

As I talked before, this is not an urgent issue we need to fix at this moment.

@viofo

Just out of curiosity, are there any urgent issues you are dealing with at the moment?

If one frame duplicate of 90 frames in the rear camera is really important for someone, we recommend using V1.1 firmware.

Such issue normally related vendor SDK, not so fast to solve. Even I don't think Novatek have much interesting to check this. But they have solved some duplicated frame issue on other models before if they confirmed the issue.

Even I don't think Novatek have much interesting to check this.
Normally they would fix something like this in the next SDK release if they know about the issue, but SDK updates don't arrive every week, there is no choice except to wait.

If one frame duplicate of 90 frames in the rear camera is really important for someone, we recommend using V1.1 firmware.

Such issue normally related vendor SDK, not so fast to solve. Even I don't think Novatek have much interesting to check this. But they have solved some duplicated frame issue on other models before if they confirmed the issue.

I disagree. While the 4K A129 doesn't suffer from this issue, according to Beta testers, it might be that all prior generation cameras are affected. And while these cameras will be phased out as newer models released, it'd be good idea to address the issue. As there's always potential that the same dupe frame bug is introduced into a later firmware of the 4K A129 if the root cause isn't located and identified.

As there's always potential that the same dupe frame bug is introduced into a later firmware of the 4K A129 if the root cause isn't located and identified.

Nope- different processor and a different SDK which means a different set of possible 'bugs', each of vwhich will need to be handled differently to make things right.

As Nigel said, Viofo can't do any more till they update the SDK so how about harping to them on their site instead and see whether that does you any good either. Nobody like waiting but when there is nothing else you can do that's what you do. And you've been given a stop-gap fix to address this issue until that new SDK comes out which is better service than 90%+ of the cam manufacturers would do for you.

Phil

Nope- different processor and a different SDK which means a different set of possible 'bugs', each of vwhich will need to be handled differently to make things right.

As Nigel said, Viofo can't do any more till they update the SDK so how about harping to them on their site instead and see whether that does you any good either. Nobody like waiting but when there is nothing else you can do that's what you do. And you've been given a stop-gap fix to address this issue until that new SDK comes out which is better service than 90%+ of the cam manufacturers would do for you.

Phil

I'm not harping on Viofo. Matter of fact, I gave him specific details on how to replicate the problem vs. 1.11 Firmware. So that this information can be passed along. It isn't Bill Zhou's fault. He is relegated to handing this information over to those responsible for releasing an SDK with a fix.

Now that he's explained where the issue arose.

As far as the SDK goes for the 4K 129, if the bug isn't discovered in the A129 Duo, then it could be replicated by mistake in later SDK's for other products. Because the exact reason of frame duplication hasn't been identified.

It's like saying You have Windows 7 and Windows 10. Just because windows 10 is a whole new platform, doesn't mean exploits, bugs, etc aren't carried over. While the 4k A129 uses different hardware and a different SDK, we don't know what caused the issue on the A129 Duo, so how can you confidently say it won't reappear?

While the 4k A129 uses different hardware and a different SDK, we don't know what caused the issue on the A129 Duo, so how can you confidently say it won't reappear?
Because I've tested it :)

Although it could of course re-appear at any firmware or SDK update, so it is good to get the issue understood and the old SDK fixed.

The new 4K processor in the A129 Pro is an evolution of the previous ones, and the SDK is also an evolution, so bugs in the older ones can certainly be passed into newer ones, but from testing I know that this particular bug hasn't currently been passed on, unless it is currently hiding.

Because I've tested it :)

Although it could of course re-appear at any firmware or SDK update, so it is good to get the issue understood and the old SDK fixed.

Correct and that's exactly what I said. The 4K doesn't have the problem but it could reappear in an update since the cause of the duplicate frames is yet unkonwn.

The new 4K processor in the A129 Pro is an evolution of the previous ones, and the SDK is also an evolution, so bugs in the older ones can certainly be passed into newer ones, but from testing I know that this particular bug hasn't currently been passed on, unless it is currently hiding.

Correct. But again, the V1.11 of the A129 Duo didn't have the bug. Later firmware versions do. The 4K A129 doesnt have the bug. But later firmware versions might reintroduce the problem if the root cause is left unidentified.

We are one of the manufacturers that want to update to the latest SDK. We also plan to upgrade SDK for A129 PRO in the near future.
But the new SDK may delivery some unknown bugs like this we talked about.

Even some time Novatek change some rules, like they didn't allow MOD firmware to change the bitrate to very high, give most of the chipset resource for IQ.
So some MOD firmware develop will complain this why they can improve the bitrate.

We are one of the manufacturers that want to update to the latest SDK. We also plan to upgrade SDK for A129 PRO in the near future.
But the new SDK may delivery some unknown bugs like this we talked about.

Even some time Novatek change some rules, like they didn't allow MOD firmware to change the bitrate to very high, give most of the chipset resource for IQ.
So some MOD firmware develop will complain this why they can improve the bitrate.

@viofo @BillZhou-

In the whole scheme of things, "duplicate frames" on the rear camera may be important, but it pales by comparison to the problem A129 users are having with the g-sensor sensitivity not working in "parking mode". To some users such as Airborne, "the use of g-sensor in parking mode" was the main reason they bought the A129 Duo.

The answer we get from you and your Company is it "may get fixed down the road".... "in the meantime can we interest you in buying our new A129 Pro?" - - Really?!?!?!?! No thanks, we already bought a Viofo dash cam!

I was told by you that the problem would be fixed by the end of August. And then when that promise was broken, Sdeel7491 was told by you on your own user forum that the problem "may get fixed in October". - - I'm willing to bet that promise is about as valuable as the promise given to me.....

Can you tell everyone on this forum once and for all WHEN Viofo plans on fixing the g-sensor sensitivity problem so that it can be used in Parking Mode?

Can you tell everyone on this forum once and for all WHEN Viofo plans on fixing the g-sensor sensitivity problem so that it can be used in Parking Mode?
We have established that this requires an SDK update, and that Novatek are in control of when the SDK updates arrive, not Viofo, and we know from experience that these arrive when every fix/addition/improvement within the update is ready, not to meet a specific timescale. After the SDK arrives, it will then take some time for Viofo to get it working correctly with each camera.

So your question is impossible to answer accurately, it can only be estimated, and the estimate may be inaccurate. They do always arrive though, it is coming, we just don't have a fixed date.

Patience is required :coffee: :cool:

I will add to this post, as mentioned, parking mode was the only reason I purchased the A129, I am most happy about the clarity of my clips. So we all as a group have different concerns. I hope soon VIOFO will get it right and it is great we have a forum like this that Dash Cam retailers can view our issues and concerns.

Back