XM Warrior G1 & G1S

Paul White

Reaction score
Country
Australia
f-xm-warrior-g1s-1080p-waterproof-wifi-action-camera.jpg

Hangzhou XiongMai Technology Co., Ltd (aka Yuncooltech) acts primarily as an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) and sells few products under its own name. The XM Warrior G1 and G1S are an exception - although there are a few OEM suppliers too. They company also makes a wide range of video security cameras.
51JehlofwYL.jpg

Review Summary: Excellent battery life at at very reasonable price but some quality issues. Night vision of the G1S is very good.
Daytime video Quality is good although best to use H264 compression. H265 compression increases the data storage at the expense of image quality with darker video.
Night video is excellent on the G1S with the Sony IMX291 2.13MP Starlight Sensor - the G1 has a 1/3" 4 Megapixel OV4689 BSI Sensor and is for daylight use only.
There is anti shake option in the settings.
As a dashcam, There is a looping option in the settings and also g-sensor which will record a segment of video for a set number of minutes if the camera is moved.
The App allows you to change the setting to overwrite the existing data if the memory is full.
Audio is OK if you're stationary but the microphone is on top of the camera in a circular recess and, as anyone who has blow over a bottle will know, this causes whistling in strong winds. I found the best solution was to put tape over it.
Wrist Watch waterproof remote works well and can be paired with multiple cameras to allow them to be triggered from the same remote.
Waterproof ability while it works most of the time, it does require you to ensure you screw up the rear cap tightly to create a waterproof seal if you are going to fully immerse the camera. In addition, the screws around the front lens cover are not 316 stainless steel and so may corrode if used in seawater.

Positive
Image quality
Battery life
Price (US$ 80 G1 or US$ 89 G1S on Amazon)
Remote included
Low-light ability (GS1)
Fast startup

Negative
No ability to remove the XM watermark
Screws securing camera body are not stainless steel
Rear cap must be very tight in order to create a watertight seal
LED lights are difficult to see in bright sunlight
Quick Links:
G1S Daytime video 1 Daytime video 2

G1 Daytime Action video on boat
G1S Night Video vs GoPro
Wi-Fi App

Specifications:

Model : Warrior G1 / Warrior G1S
Sensor:
Warrior G1: 1/3" 4 Megapixel OV4689 BSI Sensor
Warrior G1S: 1/2.8" Sony IMX291 2.13MP Starlight Sensor
Video Compression: H.265/H.264
Image Resolution: 2MP
Photo Options: Single, Burst ,Time lapse and Countdown mode.
Burst Mode: 5fps
FOV: 165°
G-Sensor: Triggers recording if camera moves (Dashcam mode)
Video Resolution:
1080p@30fps 720p@60fps
720p@30fps 1024*576@120fps
Playback by frame: Supported
WIFI: Supported
Storage: Built-in MicroSD card 16GB (G1) / 32GB (G1S) (Cannot be removed/changed without disassembly)
G1SA (Available in some markets) has a SD card slot and ships without any SD card. It supports SD cards up to 32Mb although I have seen a video on YouTube which suggests you can use a larger SD card if it is formatted to FAT 32
APP: Free Android and iOS APP
Weight: 149g (5.25oz)
Dimension: Φ44*115(mm)
Mount: 1/4 inch tripod screw mount on underside of camera. No mounts included in box. (Sony mounts recommended as they use 316 marine grade stainless steel)
Image rotation: Image can be rotated 180° in App
Shell: Yellow G1 / Blue G1S
*= Recording time depends on recording mode
Capacity: 32GB MicroSD, 1080p@30fps for about 6~12 Hours depending on image quality and bit rate.
Battery Life: The embedded 3400mAh Lithium-ion Battery can last for 6 Hours, standby for 12 months. (No ability to swap battery without disassembly).
Package Contents:
  1. Warrior Sports Action Camera.
  2. Watch-style remote control
  3. Micro USB Cable.
  4. Battery for remote
57_b442fc39-9bef-415b-bd41-da75161120a9_large.jpg

Package contents
IMG_4255.JPG
Note that the soft case for the camera is no longer included

G1 and G1S Specifications
194870a3-b180-4123-82b4-cf4ac66fe9cb.jpg

Video Encoding and Storage
The camera supports H264 (Default) and H265 video compression. H265 reduced video file size by 40% but there is a distinct reduction in image brightness when H265 is used as the images below show - the H265 image is darker.
H264 vs H265.jpg
The SD card cannot be changed without disassembly in the G1 and G1S but I have seen a post from someone who has used a larger capacity SD Card which works if formatted as FAT 32.
Watermark
While the App allows you to add a custom text watermark to the camera at the bottom of the image, you cannot remove the XM watermark shown in the top left of the video image.
Controls
1543005298895.png
XM Warrior Instruction Video
Note: While in theory you could connect a Waterproof WiFi cable to the back of the camera you can only do so if the cap is removed and thus the camera will no longer be water-tight.
No external microphone support

Folders and Files:
SD card has JPG, VIDEO and XM Video folders
The XM Video files are low res H264 images which are used for playing video in the mobile phone App over WiFi.
Files have date/time so easy to find a particular file. Files can also be date/time stamped.

At the Best video quality settings, overall VBR for 1080p 30fps is 4.9 mbps.
Video 4.9 mbps and audio 61.4 kbps.
1543034814535.png

Last edited:
I've had mine for quite a while now.

I don't have a watermark on any of my videos. ( G1S ) - I did update my firmware though ( http://www.xiongmaitech.com/en/index.php ) but I'm fairly convinced there was no watermark initially either.
It also has a BIG fov so you lose a lot of detail - I'd much rather it was 110-130.

Also I think I killed mine last week by riding in the rain with it and forgetting to tightly screw the rear cap.

It's easy to brick them if you don't screw up that cap tight - but try drying it out by removing the front lens cover and then pressing the reset.

Which file did you download as most on the xiongmaitech.com site seem to be for their surveillance camera modules.

I need the wide FOV because of the width of my boat.

A8316844.1XMJP_General_LITEOS_HI3516D_S83H20_AP6452_V1.02.LITEOS.zip

you need to switch the site to the chinese version, and it's under the XMJP table - you need to check the version info from your cam and look for the same info.
I tried attaching it but it won't let me

Thanks for the tip.

I think the camera could do with a mark on the cap so it shows when its done up tight.

Also the screws around the front lens cover should all be stainless - they have started to corrode on one of my earlier cameras.

Does anyone know what main processor in these cams are?
HiSilicon/Novatek/Ambarella?
A picture of the main processor from above would tell us.

EDIT: Never mind from the firmware name above it probably is HiSilicon (HI3516D). However I could not find the 1.02 firmware in the chinese site only the 1.01 fimware.

Last edited:
It looks as if the 1.02 firmware has been removed - has anyone got a copy they could upload to a fileshare site like dropbox?

Here are photos of the motherboard and sensor of the Warrior G1SA (I believe) as the SD slot is accessible from the rear whereas the standard G1 and G1S require disassembly to reach the SD holder.
s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

Thanks for the pics, cannot tell from the pics what the main processor is, but from the firmware name it does seem to be Hisilicon HI3516D which is a popular one.
Has anyone been able to mod the firmware for HI3516D based cams to allow for more customizations? Like non auto mode (exposure, ISO control) for images, RAW videos,images etc?

Thanks for the pics, cannot tell from the pics what the main processor is, but from the firmware name it does seem to be Hisilicon

not the best photo but it does look like the HiSilicon logo on the processor, it's upside down in the pic

Hello,

I do not find in android store the "Home7 APP" camera app, and the QR code are also navigate an unavailable app.
What app you use, to navigate in camera?

My frend find the information on a russian forum, the mobile app was removed from android store, because it contains viruses.

Hello,I have this camera and I am rider.I have been using this camera for a long time and I am very pleased.Because battery life time is so good for me.I used it with my helmet.
But I need help one thing.I also use intercom.I want to record my voice via intercom on my video.How can I do?.This camera and my intercom have wi-fi.Can I connected via wi-fi directly between this 2 devices.
Also,I tried change sd card 64 GB but it was not working.Just work 32 Gb.Is there any way to change it?
I would appreciate it if you could help.
Thanks,
Muammer iyice

Cards 32GB and smaller use "FAT32" data format, while larger cards use "EXFAT". Most cams will accept 64GB and 128GB cards if you first reformat them in your PC to "FAT32". You may need a freeware program for this as the formatting program which comes with Windows will not allow you to do this. There's probably and Android app which does this too.

Phil

I’ve had the warrior XM G1S for a while, all was good till I updated my iOS. Seems like the Home7 app hasn’t been updated for 2 years, It stopped working. Anyone know otherwise?

I have the G1 which I purchased the begining of this year. All was good untill I became uncomfortable with a helmet mount so packed away untill I found a way to mount to the Pretty Lady. So much to say, I had to factory reset and now the G1 shows me that there is no storage.
Is there a solution or advise as sadly there is no dackup by XM Yuncooltech

I think those cameras they do deploy a regular memory card just not one you can change without taking it apart.
194870a3-b180-4123-82b4-cf4ac66fe9cb.jpg

They are probably not using high end memory cards in those cameras.

Thanks for the comments. I dismantled and tied to format SD using FAT 32, replaced, assembled and my G1 is back in action.
Very happy. My next question. Is battery replacement available.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Paul White Action Camera Discussion 10
Back