Anybody use the A119 V3 as a rear dashcam?

I CU2

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of using this as a rear dashcam - just wondering if anyone here has one as a rear camera and thoughts on if it can be used well as a rear dashcam?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of using this as a rear dashcam - just wondering if anyone here has one as a rear camera and thoughts on if it can be used well as a rear dashcam?
Hi there.
I have been all through the A119 range and can't fault them,way better than all these £300 ones just look at reviews and I have pure footage myself.
And yes I have the new V3 in front and back and A1 as don't need a filter as going through a dark window,the picture is amazing even on night.
Can't see why people buy these dear ones and also these A119 ain't like a brick stuck to your window.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I agree

Viofo have a superb range of dashcams at a sensible price. I know the £300 range you mean and they are well overpriced. The one I looked at some years ago, the cpl filter was nearly the price of a A119 at the time.

I agree

Viofo have a superb range of dashcams at a sensible price. I know the £300 range you mean and they are well overpriced. The one I looked at some years ago, the cpl filter was nearly the price of a A119 at the time.
Its ones like Black verve I think and the Thinkware the new one,mad prices saying come and pinch me lol.
£100 was my limit and there are better ones out there but the reviews say it all and my own footage says it.
Not a fan on Dual cams just everyone has there own choice,can't see mine in the back the window is so dark.
I think its 1440 by 1960 or something don't go on the 2160 setting as it only stretches the top not the sides.
Had mine when they was on offer on Amazon as only had the A119s in the back as its lower F rating for better night as no head lights to help,had front one a few months earlier but great.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

...just wondering if anyone here has one as a rear camera and thoughts on if it can be used well as a rear dashcam?
Yes, best rear camera I've ever had, nice to be able to zoom in on the image and still have good quality unlike the 1080 cameras. Really no issues with using it on the rear, not too big (hardly ever notice it), and very reliable. Don't even need to run a cable from the front like the dual cameras, just needs power from somewhere.

Here is some zoomed in footage, looking into the sun so not good lighting conditions: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/wrong-side-of-the-island-a-lesson-learned.42096/ (Checking it, the quality seems to have been significantly reduced by Youtube low bitrate, unless it's my internet connection?)

If its your internet connection youtube will bump you down to a lower resolution, so if you are at the native resolution and it look bad VS the original footage it is safe to say youtube have raped your footage.

If its your internet connection youtube will bump you down to a lower resolution, so if you are at the native resolution and it look bad VS the original footage it is safe to say youtube have raped your footage.
I think the answer may be to only drive in places without trees, since trees use up too much bitrate for youtube!

When I got into the game there were only a few 2-channel cams, and all had something to counter-recommend them ;price, IQ, reliability- always something wrong, so many people ran 2 single cams. Even now, the best 2-channel cams don't compare to the better/best single channel cams so it's still a good choice to run 2 cams instead of a dual even if only for the better vids. Which can matter a lot.

Here in SC USA we don't have front plates, so you really need to capture enough facial detail to positively identify a driver as well as the car to get more than an insurance payout. Lacking a positive ID a driver can't be charged with anything, so you need a really good cam back there. And as always, there is no reason to not run whatever cam you prefer- as long as it's doing what you want it is a good choice for you. With the V3's excellent IQ you can't do much better.

Phil

I run a V3 in the front and a RoadHawk for the rear.

Having gone through many (I've lost count but it's around 8 HDs/HD2s) so going on past performance, I know that the RoadHawk WILL fail in the near future, so I will replace the old 1080p rear cam with a new cheaper and better A119 v3.

I've already pulled the duff RoadHawk from my wife's car and replaced it with an A119 v3. I have just a few of my RoadHawks left and they are (true to form) steadily dying and will be replaced.

Sorry RoadHawk, but I used to be a RoadHawk fanboy but your products are unreliable, overpriced, and don't have the necessary video resolution that dashcam users require today.

The only problem is that the RoadHawks use standard-sized SD cards and the v3 uses micro SD card so I will be left with 26 SD cards to use on something else! :unsure: :LOL:

Regards,

I agree.

No one seems to have reliably cracked writing 2 camera feeds into one sdcard with any quality. Has to be 2 separate cameras.

Even if only to save trying to route a 6 metre/yard cable through the car.

Mine is used for the rear cam. I'm very happy with the clarity of the pictures and it's reliable. The (old?) firmware tends to make details in shadows hard to pick up, but that's through a factory tinted rear window.

If it's anything like the A119V2 then it will last well in the harsh Aussie Summer sun. I've had a 119V2 sitting in the windscreen of the wife's car and it's always parked in the sun. The real time clock battery failed after a couple of years but I replaced it (fiddly and involves soldering) and it's working fine again.

I prefer the V3 over the V2 for it's narrower FOV. You're far more likely to be able to read number plates on close by vehicles, identify people etc.

See here for a screen print (you'll have to cut and paste as the live link won't work.) imgur.com/a/uDzAlqK

Last edited:
Good reminder about the RTC, just got my old V2 out of storage and it's now on PC USB charge, wonder how long I should leave it to charge the RTC battery.

Good reminder about the RTC, just got my old V2 out of storage and it's now on PC USB charge, wonder how long I should leave it to charge the RTC battery.
Overnight, it is a slow charge.

Ah, OK, thanks.

When I shut the PC down I'll move it to a wall socket.

will take a minimum of 48 hours to charge the RTC cell
Hmmm, guess it's time to plug in some of my 'emergency backup' cameras. ;) Generally speaking how long will it take the 'average' RTC battery to totally discharge? These days we're doing a lot less driving and it's not unusual for at least one of our vehicles to sit for a week or more between uses.

The longest I've seen the RTC battery go in one of our cameras is 9 months before going flat and needing to be charged up again

Hmmm, when did I buy the V3 and mothball the V2 ............... 28th July 2019

The longest I've seen the RTC battery go in one of our cameras is 9 months before going flat and needing to be charged up again
OK, maybe a dumb question or just a matter of my morning coffee not kicking in yet (I hope it's the latter) but will the RTC battery recharge with the camera connected to a power supply and turned off?... or does the camera need to be turned on?

One snag after another.

When plugged into a wall socket it wanted a TFCard (SDCard). Then when you turn off recording the screen saver doesn't cut in.

I'm going to run it in 4 hour stints till I hit 48 hours.

Back