Stuck on which cam to get

D4v3

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys,

Buying at dash cam and have been researching them all day. Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed with a lot of the options. Granted, all the footage I've seen has been on youtube and it's all compressed by youtube again so I imagine the real footage is a bit better. Even the most expensive cams have rather disappointing image quality and being able to read license plates is generally poor unless they are really close.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Viofo line, however, begrudgingly. I'm hoping someone with hands-on experience can help fill in the gaps here as it's hard to truly judge these cams based on youtube videos and review articles.

Right now I'm thinking the Viofo A139, I like that it's smaller and has no screen unlike the bulkyie 129 Plus/Pro. My second choice is the 129 Pro but the quality actually almost looks worse in every comparison I've seen. It's a little less over sharpened but seems too soft and license plates don't seem as cler. Night time seems a bit overexposed. I wish the A119 V3 came with a rear camera option because it looks like the best readability both day and night from what I've seen.

I've looked at the BlackVue cams but for the price the video quality doesn't look great to me until you hit the 900. You would have to really want cloud storage to buy one of their cams.

I considered the Thinkware U1000 but it is quite expensive and the video has terrible chromatic aberration and is oversharpened.

The Garmin cams look decent but there's no way to just add a rear cam. You have to buy a second one and then mess with wiring it, not a fan. If I wanted to go through all that I'd just get 2 A119 V3's for half the price.

Took a look at Street Guardian, solid firmware but the video leaves a lot to be desired, especially since they seem to be stuck at 1080.

So I'm sort of stuck, the A139 seems like an OK choice. I wish the main camera wasn't quite so wide, not sure what benefit the extra wide-angle provides, especially as it's at the cost of image quality and readability. There's a chance they will bring HDR to it, like the A119 V3, so that would be nice as it seems to greatly improve nighttime readability.

Would be very interested in hearing others' experiences with some of these or if there are some other options I'm not looking at.

Last edited:
I have the A129 Pro. I like it and it suits my needs. It looks bulky in pictures, but it fits nicely between my rearview mirror and the windshield. The rearview mirror behind it makes it hard to see when you're looking at my car from the front.

At the end of the day I think you should just pick one and install it. Any dash cam is better than no dash cam.

Edit: I believe on YouTube you can select what resolution of video you want to play. See if 4K resolution for a video and select it when available. This might help you see the actual 4k quality of the A129 Pro. Of course there's always a chance that the video wasn't uploaded in 4K resolution, but you should be able to see what the highest playback resolution is available.

Welcome to the forum D4v3.

I think as far as go volume the A129 and A139 are the same, i do not in no way feel the A139 are a particular small system.
Now i have never owned a A129 but i am sure it is the same size as other cameras i have owned using the same housing / form factor.

If you disregard the few cameras with large screens like some Korean brands, and of course rear view mirror cameras, then all dashcams are small, and it is more a case of which form factor is best suited to your car.
My car the windscreen layout are wide open, so i can do any shape, though wedge style are the best as with those i can have most of the footprint on the dotted area of my windscreen and then just have the lens peek out below the dotted area.
A tube style camera are often much wider than a wedge shaped one, and i would have to mount the tube lower so all of it is visible below the dotted area and so its visible footprint are much larger.

My second choice is the 129 Pro but the quality actually almost looks worse in every comparison I've seen.
Did you look at my thread with actual 4K frame grabs that show the real quality?

the bulkyie 129 Plus/Pro.
It is definitely not bulky, it is GoPro sized, you are probably misjudging the size by looking at photos that are far larger than life size!

So I'm sort of stuck, the A139 seems like an OK choice. I wish the main camera wasn't quite so wide,
It is not actually a wide camera, only the same as Thinkware and Blackvue, actually a little less I think, and the same as an A129 turned through 90 degrees. For some cars it is easier to hide behind the mirror than the A129, for other cars the A129 is easier to hide, but the A139 has the advantage that you don't need to put it where the screen can be read, it has a voice that can be heard instead.

For general use the A139 is very good, if you want to make road movies then the A129 Pro is preferable, but the A129 Pro will never do HDR.

Welcome to DCT @D4v3 :)

Viofo has a lot of value for the image and build quality you get. I've never had any of the A129 series of cams but I do have the A139 and it's the best cam I've tried in every way; very good imaging in all situations and utterly reliable. The A129 Plus and Pro have better images in some circumstances. I'd recommend either the Pro or the 139 as I don't see much difference with the Plus when compared with one or the other. Video comparisons are best done viewing raw files. You'll find some of those posted in the forums for each of these cams.

I'm still not sure that there's a great advantage with HDR as it's currently implemented in dashcams. When it's done well it does seem to enhance plate capture at night but it's not often done very well and it may be detrimental daytime. And with US or Canadian plates which don't have the contrast or lettering size of European plates any advantage you'll get will be less. HDR is a game in progress with dashcams today, in which Viofo is doing better with than most. Again, view raw files then decide for yourself.

Phil

Thanks for all the replies guys.

So from what I can gather the 139 is just a 129 Plus without the screen, which I prefer and I like that form factor better. I see no real use for the screen, it just makes the unit bigger and adds more heat. The 139 also has thinner cables and low voltage protection on the hardwire kit and it comes with the filter lens so that's nice.

@Nigel, I took a look at your post, great comparison though I wish it was with the 129 Plus or 139.

Here are some of the videos I'm using for comparison:

Here you can see that while the Pro has the most natural looking piucture it is often the worst for readability. The A119 is by far the best with it's more sensible lens angle I would say the 139/129 Plus are slightly better than the pro, producing legible license plates more frequently. This could be due to the Pro only recording at 30 FPS though I'm not really sure what all the cameras are set to record at there.

Here's a night time one, I suspect this is with HDR of on the 119. They all look pretty indistinguishable there really.

Lots of good videos on there.

Here's one of the HDR on/off on the 119 v3, you ca tell the HDR makes a reasonable difference when it comes to readability.

For those who own the Pro, have you had issues with it in warm weather? I've seen amny reports of people saying the unit malfunctions in even moderately warm temperatures. I know blackboxmycar did a hgeat test on it but I'm wondering if maybe they had some production issues or if there's a underlying problem.

So from what I can gather the 139 is just a 129 Plus without the screen,
No, it has a significantly faster version of the Novatek processor, which allows for 3 channels, much faster wifi, I think better compression and generally more responsive operation, it also has voice notification, IR for the interior camera, higher quality microphone, and overall it is a more "professional" dashcam.

They do use the same image sensors though, so the difference in image quality is smallish.

@Nigel, I took a look at your post, great comparison though I wish it was with the 129 Plus or 139.
I haven't done that one, partly because they use the same image sensor so there isn't much difference in image quality, and partly because development has continued, for example the A139 beta firmware has recently had parking mode geofencing added which for many people is a very significant advantage. At some point it may be worth a comparison, but I'll probably do it when the next new camera arrives, in the same way that I made that previous review when the A129 Pro arrived.

Here you can see that while the Pro has the most natural looking piucture it is often the worst for readability.
Definitely the Pro is better for scenic summer holiday videos, and yes sometimes it is worst for readability, but it is also sometimes best for readability. Like I said before, in general over a UK year, if reading plates is important, then the A139 will beat the A129 Pro, and the A119 V3 may be the best as long as you are lucky enough that its narrower field of view doesn't miss the important action! If you are on straight USA highways were plates need very good eyesight to be readable, partly due to character size and partly due to distance, then I think the A129 Pro can be the best choice for readability, especially in southern states where more light is available.

This could be due to the Pro only recording at 30 FPS though
The A129 Pro will do 60 FPS at QHD resolution, the A139 Dual channel will also do 60 FPS at QHD resolution. Not sure about the A129 Plus, I suspect that is only 30 fps at QHD?

However, in my view a dashcam only needs 30fps. Some people disagree, but I've not seen evidence to support 60fps being useful, it justs uses more bitrate, which normally results in more compression artifacts, so lower image quality. 60 FPS is good for those road movies from the A129 Pro, much nicer to watch with the smoother motion.

Here's a night time one, I suspect this is with HDR of on the 119.
HDR works well in some circumstances.
Overall, the jury is still debating the evidence for and against!

For those who own the Pro, have you had issues with it in warm weather?
You are unlikely to have any problems in Canada unless you use it for parking mode on hot summer days, in which case it may shutdown for a while over midday, not really a problem for most people. The A139 can do the same although normally at slightly higher temperatures, they both use the same processor. This does worry some people, but remember that you have insurance anyway, the dashcam is extra and not absolutely essential, especially for parking mode. We see very few videos posted of parking mode actually being useful, although HonestReview is likely to respond to that statement!

I know blackboxmycar did a hgeat test on it but I'm wondering if maybe they had some production issues or if there's a underlying problem.
Blackboxmycar proved that it copes with nearly all conditions, but some people do have extremely hot cars, well beyond their test temperature!

I don't think there have been production issues, but there have been a few improvements made, both to hardware and firmware. Currently parking mode drops to FHD resolution instead of 4K, which allows for operating in higher temperatures and also increases card capacity in recorded minutes. That change seems to have removed most of the temperature issues and is arguably better anyway. When parked you really don't need the 4K unless you are spying on vehicles the other side of the carpark rather than the ones that bump into you!

No, it has a significantly faster version of the Novatek processor, which allows for 3 channels, much faster wifi, I think better compression and generally more responsive operation, it also has voice notification, IR for the interior camera, higher quality microphone, and overall it is a more "professional" dashcam.

They do use the same image sensors though, so the difference in image quality is smallish.

I haven't done that one, partly because they use the same image sensor so there isn't much difference in image quality, and partly because development has continued, for example the A139 beta firmware has recently had parking mode geofencing added which for many people is a very significant advantage. At some point it may be worth a comparison, but I'll probably do it when the next new camera arrives, in the same way that I made that previous review when the A129 Pro arrived.

Definitely the Pro is better for scenic summer holiday videos, and yes sometimes it is worst for readability, but it is also sometimes best for readability. Like I said before, in general over a UK year, if reading plates is important, then the A139 will beat the A129 Pro, and the A119 V3 may be the best as long as you are lucky enough that its narrower field of view doesn't miss the important action! If you are on straight USA highways were plates need very good eyesight to be readable, partly due to character size and partly due to distance, then I think the A129 Pro can be the best choice for readability, especially in southern states where more light is available.

The A129 Pro will do 60 FPS at QHD resolution, the A139 Dual channel will also do 60 FPS at QHD resolution. Not sure about the A129 Plus, I suspect that is only 30 fps at QHD?

However, in my view a dashcam only needs 30fps. Some people disagree, but I've not seen evidence to support 60fps being useful, it justs uses more bitrate, which normally results in more compression artifacts, so lower image quality. 60 FPS is good for those road movies from the A129 Pro, much nicer to watch with the smoother motion.

HDR works well in some circumstances.
Overall, the jury is still debating the evidence for and against!

You are unlikely to have any problems in Canada unless you use it for parking mode on hot summer days, in which case it may shutdown for a while over midday, not really a problem for most people. The A139 can do the same although normally at slightly higher temperatures, they both use the same processor. This does worry some people, but remember that you have insurance anyway, the dashcam is extra and not absolutely essential, especially for parking mode. We see very few videos posted of parking mode actually being useful, although HonestReview is likely to respond to that statement!

Blackboxmycar proved that it copes with nearly all conditions, but some people do have extremely hot cars, well beyond their test temperature!

I don't think there have been production issues, but there have been a few improvements made, both to hardware and firmware. Currently parking mode drops to FHD resolution instead of 4K, which allows for operating in higher temperatures and also increases card capacity in recorded minutes. That change seems to have removed most of the temperature issues and is arguably better anyway. When parked you really don't need the 4K unless you are spying on vehicles the other side of the carpark rather than the ones that bump into you!
Thanks for the great input, Nigel, I really appreciate it.

Despite what the world thinks of Canada in my area the summers get very hot, we can easily hit 45C sustained in the summer in this region. This is what prompted my concerns over the heat issues, if there are any.

I think I will go for the A139, it's got the form factor I prefer and if Viofo keeps up their updates I think it will only get better with time. From what I've read Viofo is great for updating and adding new features, which is a huge selling feature to me.

Considering the Ventru N4 as well but even though it's 4K I don't think the video is all that great. Plus Viofo seems to be better supported with updates.

Do you happen to know, is the 2CH 139 just the 3Ch one minus 1 camera? or is it limited to just 2 cameras? I don't need the third one and this is a bit cheaper but wanted to make sure I can add the 3rd if I want.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B08QCBPJF2
Edit: Nvm, I think it's the exact same camera based on another thread here.

Last edited:
I was in Canada in 1990 with a huge tanker full of unleaded gasoline, at the time the country had the biggest wildfires ever, but that record probably been beaten several times since then.
I would like to return one day, and have more time VS my work related visit back then.

Right now where -50 deg C have been ringing over there, i think i will stay at home in my comfortable -5 deg C, even if i do hate any form of cold weather

I was in Canada in 1990 with a huge tanker full of unleaded gasoline, at the time the country had the biggest wildfires ever, but that record probably been beaten several times since then.
I would like to return one day, and have more time VS my work related visit back then.

Right now where -50 deg C have been ringing over there, i think i will stay at home in my comfortable -5 deg C, even if i do hate any form of cold weather
Heck, we'd love to have you over for a pint lol

WIth Canada the region really determines the flavor. We have everything ranging from frozen tundra to much milder temperate zones. Where I live is roughly the same latitude as northern California so we get some hot weather in the summer. Global warming is definitely helping with that too, it was 15C out the other day, we haven't really had much of a winter here in years - constant freeze and thaw cycles.

What are your guys thoughts on ferrite cores? I noticed a lot of installers use them but the wiring kit doesn't include them so are they necessary? Also, what size? 3mm, 4mm?

Last edited:
The hardwire kit have ferrite core.
This could be due to the Pro only recording at 30 FPS though I'm not really sure what all the cameras are set to record at there.
These are my videos. All cameras are set to default settings so no one was recording at 60FPS and I am not giving any advantage to any cameras I compare.
As Nigel wrote, 30FPS is enough for dashcam videos and I consider that 60FPS specification is good only for marketing (sales).
A129 is smaller than A139 even people will say that both have the same volume. It is more easy to fit an A129 in the car compared to A139.
The A139 have the best build quality of all Viofo dashcams, the difference is small but there is a difference and this is why A139 is more expensive.

What are your guys thoughts on ferrite cores? I noticed a lot of installers use them but the wiring kit doesn't include them so are they necessary?
The hardwire kit have ferrite core.

These are my videos. All cameras are set to default settings so no one was recording at 60FPS and I am not giving any advantage to any cameras I compare.
As Nigel wrote, 30FPS is enough for dashcam videos and I consider that 60FPS specification is good only for marketing (sales).
A129 is smaller than A139 even people will say that both have the same volume. It is more easy to fit an A129 in the car compared to A139.
The A139 have the best build quality of all Viofo dashcams, the difference is small but there is a difference and this is why A139 is more expensive.
Granted I haven't tested these things myself on a dash cam but being a graphic artist and having dealt with video I don't see how 60fps wouldn't be superior. You should get a crisper, less blurry image resulting from the faster shutter speed, though a bit of a trade-off as you'll get lessl ight. In general, when it comes to moving objects on video framerate is king so I'm not understand how this is not the case here.

What are your guys thoughts on ferrite cores? I noticed a lot of installers use them but the wiring kit doesn't include them so are they necessary? Also, what size? 3mm, 4mm?
Should only be necessary if you're getting radio interference - if not they serve no purpose. I wouldn't even think about them until after you install the camera(s).

Despite what the world thinks of Canada in my area the summers get very hot, we can easily hit 45C sustained in the summer in this region. This is what prompted my concerns over the heat issues, if there are any.
Yes, the south of Canada is a whole 10 degrees closer to the equator than the south of the UK, and yet you get much colder winters than us!

But I'll stick to my comment, if used for parking mode you can expect some shutdowns on sunny days around midday in summer, even up here in the UK, on both cameras. When driving, if it is feasible to drive then the cameras will probably be OK!

Do you happen to know, is the 2CH 139 just the 3Ch one minus 1 camera? or is it limited to just 2 cameras? I don't need the third one and this is a bit cheaper but wanted to make sure I can add the 3rd if I want.
Yes, with the 2ch you will be able to plug in an extra IR camera, normal rear camera, waterproof camera, etc., assuming that you can get hold of them, but normally you can purchase anything Viofo have available if you ask, even if it is not on the website.
How come you have -5 at Christmas in Denmark when just across the water here in the UK, I have +8 at midnight!

Yes, the south of Canada is a whole 10 degrees closer to the equator than the south of the UK, and yet you get much colder winters than us!

But I'll stick to my comment, if used for parking mode you can expect some shutdowns on sunny days around midday in summer, even up here in the UK, on both cameras. When driving, if it is feasible to drive then the cameras will probably be OK!

Yes, with the 2ch you will be able to plug in an extra IR camera, normal rear camera, waterproof camera, etc., assuming that you can get hold of them, but normally you can purchase anything Viofo have available if you ask, even if it is not on the website.

How come you have -5 at Christmas in Denmark when just across the water here in the UK, I have +8 at midnight!

Honestly, we don't get the winters we used to here anymore. The snow usually doesn't even stay around for more then a week or two at a time, getting a little scary what's happening with the climate. BC had a really rough go this year, went from being on fire to being flooded in the span of 6 months. But I digress.

Well, ordered the A139 with wiring kit, some fuse taps and a 128gb sd card. Figure I can probably scavenge some ferrite cores off of the heaps of old cables that live in the basement.

Honestly, we don't get the winters we used to here anymore. The snow usually doesn't even stay around for more then a week or two at a time, getting a little scary what's happening with the climate. BC had a really rough go this year, went from being on fire to being flooded in the span of 6 months. But I digress.
Up here in the UK, I can only remember snow on the ground for a total of 10 minutes so far this year, and it is now December 28th!

Figure I can probably scavenge some ferrite cores off of the heaps of old cables that live in the basement.
Don't fit ferrite cores unless you have a problem that needs sorting. It should work without, and it is very difficult to predict what effect they might have, positive or negative.

Hope it proves the right choice, let us know how you get on with it...

Back