Stuck on which cam to get

Up here in the UK, I can only remember snow on the ground for a total of 10 minutes so far this year, and it is now December 28th!

Don't fit ferrite cores unless you have a problem that needs sorting. It should work without, and it is very difficult to predict what effect they might have, positive or negative.

Hope it proves the right choice, let us know how you get on with it...
Do you guys typically get much snow? I know the UK is more known for that crazy looking Hoar frost, I think it's called.

Huh, I didn't think the cores could have a negative effect. Figured I'd do it right from the start so I don't have to pull it all apart again. We've got tire pressure monitors and Bluetooth and everything else so I thought I'd just be proactive and throw them on.

Do you guys typically get much snow? I know the UK is more known for that crazy looking Hoar frost, I think it's called.

Huh, I didn't think the cores could have a negative effect. Figured I'd do it right from the start so I don't have to pull it all apart again. We've got tire pressure monitors and Bluetooth and everything else so I thought I'd just be proactive and throw them on.
UK does get snow in the North, quite rare in the South, and getting more rare with climate change. But it very rarely gets much below 0 degrees during daytime, so snow doesn't normally last more than a few days other than on the mountain tops and is normally more slush than proper snow. Also the ground normally stays above zero, so we normally have a layer of water under the snow making it extremely slippery.

The cores could potentially have a negative effect so leave them off unless there is a problem to solve. They can effectively retune the cables, so any radio waves being given off may change frequencies and potentially create problems with tire sensors when those problems had been tuned out during development. The aim of the cores is to block the EMI, which should be safe, but it is not as simple as that.

UK does get snow in the North, quite rare in the South, and getting more rare with climate change. But it very rarely gets much below 0 degrees during daytime, so snow doesn't normally last more than a few days other than on the mountain tops and is normally more slush than proper snow. Also the ground normally stays above zero, so we normally have a layer of water under the snow making it extremely slippery.

The cores could potentially have a negative effect so leave them off unless there is a problem to solve. They can effectively retune the cables, so any radio waves being given off may change frequencies and potentially create problems with tire sensors when those problems had been tuned out during development. The aim of the cores is to block the EMI, which should be safe, but it is not as simple as that.
Hmm interesting, based on what I've read they just add a little impedance to the line and filter out some noise and prevent the wire from acting like an antenna. Have there actually been cases where adding the cores has caused issues?

Have there actually been cases where adding the cores has caused issues?
Normally it makes absolutely no difference, especially on the power supply. On the video data cables it can block the data.

Obviously a correctly tuned (sized and located) core can remove problems, otherwise the factory wouldn't fit them.

Normally it makes absolutely no difference, especially on the power supply. On the video data cables it can block the data.

Obviously a correctly tuned (sized and located) core can remove problems, otherwise the factory wouldn't fit them.

Right so in this case, you'd be putting it on the power line not the coax lines for the rear/interior cameras. Those don't carry enough voltage to interfere with anything. The issue that I've seen is where the hardwired power line acts as an antenna and interferes with the other radio signals in your vehicle. I don't see any downside to putting them on the power line(electrical engineers please chime in), the only signal it likely carries is pulling high or low depending on if your vehicle is on or off to signal parking mode and I don't think the core would affect that signal. This issue would be better resolved with some cable shielding as you find on a lot of the wires in your vehicle. Perhaps these wiring kits are well shielded but for $15 I'm not expecting much.

The issue that I've seen is where the hardwired power line acts as an antenna and interferes with the other radio signals in your vehicle.
The issue there is that by modifying the cable, you are affecting the tuning of that antenna, and possibly causing to radiate at a bad frequency instead of the frequency that was carefully tuned at the factory to either radiate frequencies not generated by the power supply or camera, or maybe to only radiate at frequencies known to cause no problems to any equipment normally found in cars.

You do not know enough to be sure that you are not creating a problem with your modifications, so it is better to use it as supplied, unless that creates a problem that needs to be sorted. If used as supplied then it probably won't have any problems, since all the issues were identified some time ago and "tuned out" of the system. Cameras coming off the production lines now are not identical to those that were tested during prototype or pre-production stages, or even the first production batches, you should not expect to have any of the issues that were identified back then, that testing was done to remove all the problems.

If you do modify it, then you must accept that the warranty is void, at least until you return it to standard.

Just a little update. Got my cam and wiring kit and the wiring kit does has a fer rite core installed on it. I didn't see it in the photos but it's there, so that's great.

I gotta say I'm very impressed by the quality of everything. Everything from the cam to the wiring is really nice, very good quality. Thumbs up, Viofo, there's not a signle bit of e-waste here, every bit looks top notch. Unfortunately, though, the box I received was dropped very hard somewhere along the line as one of the corners i caved in. Hopefully it still works.

We got a cracked windshield for Christmas so going to be a couple weeks before this gets installed as I'm going to wait till it's replaced to install it.

one of the corners i caved in.
They are designed to do that, to cushion the shock and protect the camera, probably nothing to worry about.

Unfortunate about the window though :(

They are designed to do that, to cushion the shock and protect the camera, probably nothing to worry about.

Unfortunate about the window though :(
I'm sure it's probably fine but the box is quite stiff cardboard so for the corner to crush in this much it would have been a substantial fall and with there being nothing between the camera and the top of the box, who knows.

The windshield definitely put a bit of a damper on things. The crapy part is they are on back order so it might be a bit before we can get a new one.

I just got a Viofo A139. The only thing it does is turn on the red light. Won't enable WiFi. So I opened a ticket. Literally 2 sentences, one of which is "never turns on the WiFi LED". First question they ask me is if the WiFi LED is on. Second was to suggest I use a different phone....if it won't enable WiFi then it won't matter what phone I use!

I read a number of 1-star reviews on this camera and on the app. It was enough for me at that point. I gave Viofo a shot. They utterly failed. I didn't spend good money to troubleshoot their junk with tech support, who can't be bothered to read the customer's question.

Packed it back in the box and returned it to Amazon for a refund.
  • Doc is weak, at best.
  • Disproportionate number of 1-star reviews on Amazon
  • Weak tech support (but to be fair, they did respond within 24 hours, though their response was useless)
  • FAT32 formatting on the card
  • Horrible app (according to reviews, since I never got to use it)
Now I'm ready to spend twice as much to get a decent camera with a good app and customer support. I'm convinced there is nothing under $300 that's worth the aggravation.

The only thing it does is turn on the red light.
FAT32 formatting on the card
How did you manage to format the card if it doesn't do anything but light the red light?
Horrible app (according to reviews, since I never got to use it)
Mainly reviews from people who, like you, for some reason never managed to connect the camera to their phone!
But where was the problem? In the phone, in the camera, in the documentation, in the user, ...
Unfortunately, as you gave up at the first hurdle, we will never know... but presumably you have now added to the "Horrible" reviews?

Fortunately this is not a typical experience, even if it is common among the people who write the Amazon/App Store reviews.

For sure, you do not want to get any smart camera then, and though wifi are more or less the norm nowadays, you probably want to stick to a camera where you can do on small screen changes VS in a APP.
CUZ they are all equally bad.
The people on iphones, well a new IOS update often throw them back to the stone ages until a fix is found, though the google phones are not much better, but i have managed to get several versions old androids to work on newer cameras.
I have another brand camera, where getting wifi to work have stopped but it do broadcast wifi though just no matter what i do or devise i use it will not connect, fortunatly it have a screen.
The Viofo cameras have so far worked good for me, though some times i do get thrown off 2 seconds after connect, i then just have to do that again and 3 seconds later i am on for good ( 2 year old xiaomi MI9 phone )

I just got a Viofo A139. The only thing it does is turn on the red light. Won't enable WiFi. So I opened a ticket. Literally 2 sentences, one of which is "never turns on the WiFi LED". First question they ask me is if the WiFi LED is on. Second was to suggest I use a different phone....if it won't enable WiFi then it won't matter what phone I use!

I read a number of 1-star reviews on this camera and on the app. It was enough for me at that point. I gave Viofo a shot. They utterly failed. I didn't spend good money to troubleshoot their junk with tech support, who can't be bothered to read the customer's question.

• Doc is weak, at best.
  • Weak tech support (but to be fair, they did respond within 24 hours, though their response was useless)
Now I'm ready to spend twice as much to get a decent camera with a good app and customer support. I'm convinced there is nothing under $300 that's worth the aggravation.
I feel like maybe you're being a little rash and unfair. TThese cameras are well reviewed and well received and VIofo does a good job supporting them. It sounds like maybe you got a defective one, which can happen with anything, or it's a compatibility issue.

Don't take the support response personally, I think almost every customer service I've ever dealt with has given me some canned response for their first reply. It sucks and they should take more time but they have to meet performance numbers so they try to get through emails as fast as possible. I don't like it either but I'm sure they will help you if you give them a chance.

As for spending twice as much, you're really at a point of diminishing returns. I spent I don't even know how many hours looking at different cameras and comparing footage. You're really not going to get a whole lot better, even the really expensive 4k cameras are not much better, and in some cases worse, than what this camera can do.

Give it another chance, VIofo cameras are quite good. Don't filter for 1 star reviews, most of those people had issues due to user error and blame it on the product.

• Doc is weak, at best.
I've been using dashcams for 7 years and testing/reviewing them for 5 years. That includes the A139. I'll give good or bad review as the camera and company earns :cautious: Of the many I've had my hands on none have impressed me as much as my A139; it is by far the best dashcam I've had and it's going to stay put even as the rest of my cams get pulled out or moved around to make space for new ones to test. I've also purchased a few cams from Viofo, one of which I broke (my fault), and they sent me a replacement part for a very reasonable cost. Great cams, very good customer service, and the app works perfectly on my old low-spec Andriod7 phone whereas many other dashcam apps don't.

Sorry you had a bad experience, had you been a bit more patient I think you'd have loved the A139, it really is a great dashcam and app too.

Phil

You're right to call me out on a lack of patience.

I was very disappointed by the tech support response. I was super excited to get a new camera, and super disappointed that it didn't work. The support experience pushed me over the edge, and I returned it. I went back to reading reviews. In the end it came down to 2 options: order another Viofo (was leaning toward A129 Pro), or give JVC/Kenwood another shot. I loved my DRV-A601W that stopped working. In the end, since I already have a rear camera and permanent power installed for the Kenwood, I ordered a new DRV-A601W.

In retrospect, Viofo responded quickly (though not a helpful response) to the original complaint and to my follow-up. The second response did earn back some trust. After re-reading reviews, if I didn't already have the Kenwood installation ready I'd be trying another Viofo. It seems to be the best value out there. The next vehicle gets a Viofo.

You're right to call me out on a lack of patience.

I was very disappointed by the tech support response. I was super excited to get a new camera, and super disappointed that it didn't work. The support experience pushed me over the edge, and I returned it. I went back to reading reviews. In the end it came down to 2 options: order another Viofo (was leaning toward A129 Pro), or give JVC/Kenwood another shot. I loved my DRV-A601W that stopped working. In the end, since I already have a rear camera and permanent power installed for the Kenwood, I ordered a new DRV-A601W.

In retrospect, Viofo responded quickly (though not a helpful response) to the original complaint and to my follow-up. The second response did earn back some trust. After re-reading reviews, if I didn't already have the Kenwood installation ready I'd be trying another Viofo. It seems to be the best value out there. The next vehicle gets a Viofo.
The main thing is that you have a good cam which you like. And here's to hoping you'll never need the footage for evidence! (y)

Phil

I visited the UK about 8 years ago and bought a shirt while there. Had a Sheep holding an umbrella for the 4 seasons Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. The UK is gloomy and rainy. Lots and lots of rain. They do get snow in higher elevations but generally snow is rare and doesn't stick around it seems.

• Doc is weak, at best.

In the world of mass production, there will be duds. One thing to have tried was a reset and firmware update. If that failed, then you got one of those statistical duds. After swapping out my A139 that had supercap die, the replacement is fine. Although I'd strongly recommend parking in direct sunlight for parking mode on hot summer days. As the unit does very very hot.

Bit baffled why manufacturers in general haven't put the main unit away from windshield and sun. Would solve a ton of issues.

Unfortunately, the 3 channel market is a bit sparse. You could buy a Front + Rear Setup and then a 3rd independent camera for interior if that is an option or a need.

New here, thought I'd another experience into the mix. Only started using a dashcam back in July last year after I realised I'd got a car that would likely be a keeper, plus I could envisage post covid opening up and getting back to 40k business miles a year again. I ended up buying a Mini and a Mini2 for a dual setup and was largely OK, though the shock sensitivity on them is ridiculously over -sensitive, and the SD card would fill up with saved files within a week on both units. The car wasn't particularly harsh (Octavia vRS) and most of my driving is on DC and M-Ways, cats eyes would set it off every time. I had a smash over xmas, car sadly written off, and of course fitting a dashcam to the replacement, only after days of research and agonising over the options, I ended up buying a Garmin 57 for the front, added the USB always on OBD2 power cable (I was using a rearmaster OBD2 cable to power my rear mini before). I'll keep the mini2 for the rear cam, and fir the mini into my wife's car as she only does a short daily commute along rural roads.
I do find the Garmin Drive app clunky (I'm a long time user of Connect as I'm into cycling, so have a lot of experience of using Garmin's other hardware and software); which is disappointing if it's generally viewed as one of the better apps out there, then some of them must be shocking. I'm hoping that the 57 isn't quite so sensitive to road vibration, as I missed a lot of footage after my smash that got over-written and could have been useful as potential evidence. I was so shook up, I didn't have the presence of mind to remove the cameras at the scene, and when the car had been moved and stored, they had switched o the ignition, and the unsaved footage over written. That's another good reason to get a bigger SD card, but deleting unwanted files with the SD card in the camera is a right pita, as the connection is flaky. I've learnt that a weekly clean up offline using a PC is essential here.

Back