Using the A139 two small cameras as side cameras for a 4ch system.

DashCamo

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
In order to get a 4chanel dashcam system I'm thinking of placing the A139 in the rear window of my car and the two smaller cameras (back and interior) as side cameras.
I will have another 1 channel camera in the front.
Since 1 meter is to short I'm thinking of getting that 6 meter rear cable they are selling.

Will it work?
What do you think?

There is no reason not to work. I have basically the same setup for about 7 months or so (with custom cables actually :p ).

The only issue I noticed is that two Bluetooth buttons in one vehicle keep losing connection to each set.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great answers.

Can the A139 connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot?
I'm thinkin of adding that to the car also.

Yes, it can. But if remote access via internet is what you are up to, then that doesn't work as is (it requires a bit more work).

In order to get a 4chanel dashcam system I'm thinking of placing the A139 in the rear window of my car and the two smaller cameras (back and interior) as side cameras.
I will have another 1 channel camera in the front.
Since 1 meter is to short I'm thinking of getting that 6 meter rear cable they are selling.

Will it work?
What do you think?
Hi,

Did you do the 4ch installation ?
If yes, can you share some pictures ? :)

Heyyyyyyy.
Blast from the past.
I gave Broseph that idea.
He even gave me a shoutout. lol
-Chuck

I'm curious as well, particularly to see how much of the rear view gets blocked by the A139.

I do a similar setup with a pair of DR900X Plus' and it works fine, but the larger rear cam can be a bit annoying if cars are just in the right spot, heh.

This is also why I'm a fan of the "narrowish" 140° FOV vs. the 160° FOV or higher.
Because you can just add two more 140° side cameras. Lol
Of course it add more expense, and hassle having to deal with two power supplies, and two SD Cards.

But for my application I’ve found it to be worth the extra money, and hassle because often times when my front & rear cams fail to capture a license plate, my side cams pick up the slack, and get it.

It’s also fun to capture side view action like this. Lol

Since you can buy the rear camera separately, would it make sense to buy the A139-2CH and a separate rear camera so instead of a rear camera pointing out one side of the car and an interior camera pointing out the other side, it would have rear cameras pointing out both sides of the car?

Reactions: Mtz
As an "old timer" here on the forum and a dash cam owner since 2010 I believe I may have been the first member on DCT to begin experimenting with side facing and rear facing cameras. Back then (around 2012) with dash cam technology being what it was whenever I updated to a newer and better performing camera I would repurpose the older camera for use as a side facing one mounted on the fixed glass rear side window of my Toyota pick-up truck. I was amazed by the results! Eventually, after experimenting with different cameras, I added a cam to both side windows and then the rear window and have been enjoying full 360º coverage ever since, refining my set-up as time went on. Now, I feel "naked" without all 5 of my cameras not up and running which happened just last week when I had to do a modification/repair/adjustment on my rear camera mount and so had no rear cam for 24 hours waiting for some epoxy to set up and cure.

For some, a lot of the interest in multiple camera views began with this interesting old thread- "Is there such thing as a side view dashcam?" Of course, this was back before multi-channel dash cams existed.

I bring all this up because I find the discussion of FOV - AOV very interesting. A small group of us on the forum have regularly spent a lot of time and effort modifying certain cameras (especially the Mobius platform but not exclusively) with aftermarket lenses that allow one to optimize the desired angle of view and other lens parameters for a dedicated purpose. It's one of the advantages of using separate cameras for 360º coverage.

One of the issues that became apparent was achieving full coverage around one's vehicle. (@Vortex Radar speaks to this in his video). For me, I discovered that it was important to achieve more than full 360 degree coverage around my vehicle and I managed to create a set-up where I had significant overlap between each camera in the system (490º total lens coverage) . Over time I have concluded that this is the optimal way to have a four camera system if you can. Having each lens capture an overlapped transition between the next adjacent lens eliminates blind spots and this really helps to tell the story!

So, some of you guys may find this old post of mine interesting. It shows views from each camera with a green line marking the exact spot where the coverage overlaps between each adjacent lens.

The choice of which side camera to use in accordance with its angle-of-view is the key to achieving proper coverage in a four camera system.

Since that 5 1/2 year old post I now have different cameras performing the same duty but the result is the same. I wouldn't be without full coverage. Even if you can't get complete 360 º coverage around your vehicle it is well worth having cameras facing in every direction if your vehicle will accommodate it.

Last edited:
:D (y) Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

I'm not sure I'll do the same but if I buy the A139 I think I'll use the internal camera to put it in the back of the car (example in yellow) but in the same time i have a doubt and maybe it will be impossible because there is no area to paste it.
In red the location of the 3rd camera, i have no other choice.:cry:

Attachments

• 20220825-231905.jpg
    20220825-231905.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220825_103900.jpg
    20220825_103900.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 10
:D (y) Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

I'm not sure I'll do the same but if I buy the A139 I think I'll use the internal camera to put it in the back of the car (example in yellow) but in the same time i have a doubt and maybe it will be impossible because there is no area to paste it.
In red the location of the 3rd camera, i have no other choice.:cry:
Do keep in mind that one cable is short and the other is long. If you mount the main camera in the front, only one cable will reach to the back.

Do keep in mind that one cable is short and the other is long. If you mount the main camera in the front, only one cable will reach to the back.
You can buy another long one.;)

Can you install a 4th camera on a 3CH, or do you have to go the distance and buy a 2nd A139?

What about the consumption while driving? Any disadvantages compared to the car battery?

Parking mode is decativated.

Can you install a 4th camera on a 3CH, or do you have to go the distance and buy a 2nd A139?
The A139 only has the connector ports for two additional cameras, so three total cameras including the one built-in to the main device body.

What about the consumption while driving? Any disadvantages compared to the car battery?

Parking mode is decativated.
While driving your car should be producing so much energy that something like a little camera has no effect on the battery. Like it consumes few watts and basically any car nowadays has at least one 12V plug with 10-20A rating.

Last edited:
I'm curious as well, particularly to see how much of the rear view gets blocked by the A139.
Probably depends on the rear window size, in what type of a car it's installed and how/where you install it.

20220827_141819.jpg

Through rear-view mirror:
20220827_141918.jpg

Back