Can I downgrade firmware

Terminal Frost

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all. I updated the firmware on my 322GW last week (R23.7) and my dashcam no longer works properly. It will record fine for a few minutes, then freeze up. I've done all the things suggested to fix the problem (reset dashcam, checked the card, checked the cable, tried the firmware update again via the computer, put in a new card yadda yadda yadda) and none of these work. So my question is, can I downgrade the firmware on the camera to the previous version?

Yes.

Download the required firmware to a formatted SDCard put it in then fire up the dash cam.

Always worked for me.

That's good to know. Now, can you tell me where I can download an older firmware file? The only version on Nextbase's website is the current one. Is there an archive? Or is my only hope that somebody from Nextbase will reply to the email I sent? It's pretty frustrating as you can imagine and the dashcam is next to useless.

Hello,
Thanks for your comments, I'm very sorry to hear that you've experienced an issue.

Have you tried formatting the SD card within the camera? As we haven't had any other reports of problems with R23.7, we would like to get some more information from you about the issue you've experienced so we can pass on a bug report to our Development Team. Please can you DM me your email address so I can find your email ticket?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi Millie.
I hope I've managed to DM you properly. I couldn't find a DM button as such and I hope the message I sent is an actual DM.

In answer to your question, yes I have formatted the card in the camera. I've tried everything at this point. I formatted the card in the camera - didn't work. Formatted the card in a computer, ensuring it was in the correct format. Nope either. I've even tried out the original, smaller card I had in the dashcam for several months before upgrade. I've tried resetting the camera to factory settings, re-installing the firmware. Absolutely nothing is working and my camera is next to useless. Please can you just send me a copy of the older firmware and give me the chance to have a working dashcam again.

Very glad to hear it! If you need any further assistance, just let me know.

Kind regards,
Millie

I just wanted to thank Millie from Nextbase for the help I received. The dashcam is working properly again :cool:
I have the exact same issue since the upgrade! the dash cam just freezes randomly.. tried formatting the SD card with no change.. Can you share the older software version.. the website only has the latest code

Hello,

You shouldn't be experiencing any freezing on R23.7 so we'd like to look into this further please. Please can you give us a call on 02920 866 429 (UK) and we can go through the troubleshooting with you.
Thank you.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hello,

I have the same problem with my NextBase 322gw since the last update.
After a few minutes of use, the camera crashes: the red light stays on, and pressing the touch screen, the power button or the "nextbase" button has no effect.
The camera freezes until it runs out of battery when the car is turned off, or I have to press the "reset" button
This bug occurs daily (2×30 minutes of travel each day).
Another bug, on the recordings, the time / speed / gps coordinates indications, superimposed, remain frozen after a few minutes of recording.

I contacted the support by mail (ticket 199538), but I did not get a troubleshooting solution.

Someone can help me for to resolve this issues or downgrade firware ?

Thanks.

Hello,

After a few minutes of use, the camera crashes: the red light stays on, and pressing the touch screen, the power button or the "nextbase" button has no effect.
The camera freezes until it runs out of battery when the car is turned off, or I have to press the "reset" button
Another bug, on the recordings, the time / speed / gps coordinates indications, superimposed, remain frozen after a few minutes of recording.

I contacted the support by mail (ticket 199538), but I did not get a troubleshooting solution.

Thanks.
Downgrade has fixed my issue for sure

Hello,

Thanks.
Hi,
I can see from your ticket that our engineers recommend changing your SD card as you've been using a SanDisk Extreme SD card. Freezing usually happens due to an SD card failure, so we would recommend trying a compatible SD card.

If you have now tried a compatible SD card and the issue is still occurring, I've emailed you some details for a bug report and details on how to roll-back the firmware. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hi,
I can see from your ticket that our engineers recommend changing your SD card as you've been using a SanDisk Extreme SD card. Freezing usually happens due to an SD card failure, so we would recommend trying a compatible SD card.

If you have now tried a compatible SD card and the issue is still occurring, I've emailed you some details for a bug report and details on how to roll-back the firmware. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem after updating the firmware to 23.7.
I have tried three different SD cards now the last being a Nextbase card.
The camera has even froze while not in recording mode.
How do you roll back the firmware?

Thanks

I likewise had exactly the same issue. Started 2 weeks ago after updating my 322GW Firmware to 23.7.

It immediately started locking up after 10-20 mins of run time. I tried a brand new Card, full factory reset, same problem. I Logged a call with Support and provided all the information, all I was getting back was the same 'Your Card will be old and needs replacing , you need to buy a new Nextbase Card, any other brand won't work' etc, I explained all I needed was a link to the old Firmware file and I will backflash and prove that it is a firmware issue,. but they would not supply me with this. In the end I managed to get this from a fellow Forum Member.

Surprise Surprise, this has fixed the issue and I have a fully functional 322GW again. hope this helps...

I’ve signed up specifically to provide my personal feedback regarding the above as nextbase support seems to have a default response to any issues claiming they are due to using incompatible cards with the intent of forcing owners to buy the overpriced rebranded nextbase cards.

My dashcam has worked flawlessly for the last 18 months until the recent update. Within a week of updating my dashcam my memory card got fried. I went and bought a brand new sandisk enterprise U3 ‘cctv-dashcam’ specific card and found I was having the same issues as others here. The cam would freeze after five minutes and required powering off and on but this issue just kept repeating. The unit was next to useless.

After I downgraded the firmware it resolved all my problems and I have had no issues since.

There is clearly an issue with the current firmware that nextbase won’t acknowledge

I’ve signed up specifically to provide my personal feedback regarding the above as nextbase support seems to have a default response to any issues claiming they are due to using incompatible cards with the intent of forcing owners to buy the overpriced rebranded nextbase cards.

My dashcam has worked flawlessly for the last 18 months until the recent update. Within a week of updating my dashcam my memory card got fried. I went and bought a brand new sandisk enterprise U3 ‘cctv-dashcam’ specific card and found I was having the same issues as others here. The cam would freeze after five minutes and required powering off and on but this issue just kept repeating. The unit was next to useless.

After I downgraded the firmware it resolved all my problems and I have had no issues since.

There is clearly an issue with the current firmware that nextbase won’t acknowledge
Nextbase fast falling out of favour on these forums and I wonder why. Such dodgy behaviour!

Nextbase have been regular contributers here but haven't been seen since late June

Nextbase have been regular contributers here but haven't been seen since late June
Maybe they've moved onto the next base? Haha

I had the exact same issue after updating the firmware to R23.7 last week on the 322GW dashcam and then spent £35 to buy a new 64GB Nextbase U3 SD card (for nothing) based on the advice on some forums. Now I'm trying to downgrade the firmware. Nextbase should seriously consider removing this buggy version. Otherwise, its reputation will be damaged because of this low-quality software. I didn't think that a famous company like Nextbase would allow such horrible software to be published for their device - very frustrating and disappointing until I found this useful article.

Back