Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
U3000
U3000 rear camera RADAR does not work

same confirmed on a review here - starting from 15:23

My rear glass is tinted and RADAR does not work whatever setting I tried to apply
Please check yours?

Here is a video
same confirmed on a review here - starting from 15:23

Same here. I tried a few things to improve it. First of all i set it to the highest sensitivity, then i removed the whole camera from my rear window. I propped it so it will have the best scenario, which is not having anything blocking in front of it. Tried walking in front of the rear radar with the rear door open(i have a hatchback), it does trigger the camera once i walk back and forth many times. (close to it and further away)

With that said the rear camera is still considered not working properly in my book. It should trigger as fast as the front camera.

Im only sharing this so future buyers and possibly thinkware to be aware of this problem. Im hoping this is going to be a 'firmware update' kind of fix.

Thank you for the information.
My Thinkware U3000 Rear Dashcam Radar is not working, tried to increase the sensitivity settings but it is still not working.

Is the rear radar in the rear camera, or in the front camera looking rearwards?

If it is in the front camera then it could be getting blocked in some vehicles...

Is the rear radar in the rear camera, or in the front camera looking rearwards?
It's built into the front and rear camera units

1691078062257.png

It's built into the front and rear camera units

View attachment 66720
I did notice that it has "RADAR" printed on the rear camera, doesn't mean that is where the sensor is though, microwave sensors are not easy to see...

Should be easy to test if it is actually in the rear camera, but it seems that people are doing tests on the rear camera and finding that it isn't there, so maybe it isn't!

Not sure if you are saying that you know it is in the rear camera, or if you are just looking at the label?

I did notice that it has "RADAR" printed on the rear camera, doesn't mean that is where the sensor is though, microwave sensors are not easy to see...

Should be easy to test if it is actually in the rear camera, but it seems that people are doing tests on the rear camera and finding that it isn't there, so maybe it isn't!

Not sure if you are saying that you know it is in the rear camera, or if you are just looking at the label?
The Thinkware Marketing info mentions front and rear radar. The testing I did in my filming studio seemed to suggest that the rear unit has radar capabilities.

1691080552640.png

1691081092889.png

Last edited:
is this a general problem, or just "some" units ?
My Rear dash cam RADAR is not detecting any impact, I have changed the sensitivity to High but still not working.

When I simulate an impact test by performing some movements in front of the U3000 FRONT Dashcam and then forcefully bang the table (Low-High), the U3000 automatically detects the impact and sends me an impact notification, On the Thinkware Connected App, I can see images from both the Front and Rear Dashcams, and when I open the video, I can view footage from both cameras(Front & Rear). However, when I attempt to replicate the impact test simulation in front of the REAR Dashcam, no impact is reported. It appears that the Rear Dashcam lacks impact detection or RADAR functionality

Many customers have the same issue..

Bad news here!
I visited my dashcam installing company today. They performed all the testing and tested many REAR U3000 cameras in my car. ALL REAR CAMERAS FAILED WITH DETECTING MOVEMENTS WHEN RADAR FUNCTION IS ACTIVATED
Congratulations! Thinkware sold us a lemon, not fully working product right from the start!!!!! Great job!
Then now they are keeping silence about the well-known issue.
The installers contacted THINKWARE support today and THINKWARE confirmed that they know about the issue, they confirmed that - ALL REAR RADAR CAMERAS DO NOT WORK AT ALL IN RADAR MODE!
Thinkware support promised to issue a software update but they do not know when it happens. They did not confirm that they would be able to fix the problem or not.
It is so frustrating that such a reputable brand as THINKWARE is so bad in communication and is hiding such a big issue.
Any ideas what should we do?
I personally switched PARKING MODE from RADAR to MOTION DETECTION now since I have an external battery. I assume in motion detection all my cameras will be always in recording mode and I hope for the quick update. I truly believe thinkware management should say a word about the REAR CAMERA issue

Bad news here!
I visited my dashcam installing company today. They performed all the testing and tested many REAR U3000 cameras in my car. ALL REAR CAMERAS FAILED WITH DETECTING MOVEMENTS WHEN RADAR FUNCTION IS ACTIVATED
Congratulations! Thinkware sold us a lemon, not fully working product right from the start!!!!! Great job!
Then now they are keeping silence about the well-known issue.
The installers contacted THINKWARE support today and THINKWARE confirmed that they know about the issue, they confirmed that - ALL REAR RADAR CAMERAS DO NOT WORK AT ALL IN RADAR MODE!
Thinkware support promised to issue a software update but they do not know when it happens. They did not confirm that they would be able to fix the problem or not.
It is so frustrating that such a reputable brand as THINKWARE is so bad in communication and is hiding such a big issue.
I personally switched PARKING MODE from RADAR to MOTION DETECTION now since I have an external battery. I assume in motion detection all my cameras will be always in recording mode and I hope for the quick update. I truly believe thinkware management should say a word about the REAR CAMERA issue
Thank you for the information.

I'm puzzled by the abundance of YouTube videos that review the Thinkware U3000. Surprisingly, these videos often omit any mention of their tests and real-world experiences with the Rear Dash Cam RADAR.

After watching numerous YouTube reviews of the Thinkware U3000, I'm left wondering why the reviewers don't delve into their own assessments of the Rear Dash Cam RADAR. Instead, they appear to parrot the manufacturer's claims – stating that the Rear Dash Cam features a built-in RADAR to detect motion and impacts, among other things. This raises the question of whether they are simply endorsing the product on behalf of the manufacturer, rather than providing authentic evaluations.

Just be careful to always park with your rear against a wall ;)

While we can hope for a firmware update, I guess this is quite likely to be a hardware issue, and there may not be a firmware work around...

After watching numerous YouTube reviews of the Thinkware U3000, I'm left wondering why the reviewers don't delve into their own assessments of the Rear Dash Cam RADAR.
We know that many reviewers just assume that things work, and never look at things in any detail!

I noticed that @Vortex Radar in one of his videos shows the rear working in what appears to be a decent test, however he clearly says that he has a pre-production unit, and I don't think he has published a full review yet, so maybe because he is waiting for a working version before completing his review?

We know that many reviewers just assume that things work, and never look at things in any detail!

I noticed that @Vortex Radar in one of his videos shows the rear working in what appears to be a decent test, however he clearly says that he has a pre-production unit, and I don't think he has published a full review yet, so maybe because he is waiting for a working version before completing his review?
That was from an earlier firmware version. I don’t know if it changed with the latest firmware. I’m not waiting for a fix for the full review. That review is in the queue, but so are many other things. :)

It's the one thing that would eventually make me upgrade from the U1000
I suggest waiting until Thinkware addresses the issue with the U3000 Rear Dash Cam RADAR, along with other problems related to the App. I will keep you informed as soon as I receive an update regarding my U3000 Rear Dash Cam RADAR.

I bought this dash-cam specifically for the parking mode only to learn that rear radar does not work. :(

Has anybody found a workaround yet?

I bought this dash-cam specifically for the parking mode only to learn that rear radar does not work. :(

Has anybody found a workaround yet?
I have the Same issue with my U3000 Rear Dash Cam RADAR, still waiting for Thinkware to provide a solution.

What's going on with the U3000 no firmware updates since it was released?

Maybe they think it's all systems are a go and everything is fine with the rear camera?

Or maybe they are trying to figure out how to recall or refund all the dashcams they have released so far?

Back