DR970X Plus Series - Testing/Review - RCG

Is there any difference in power consumption, and camera / SD Card temperature between H.265 vs. H.264?
When I tested that on the A139 Pro it used slightly more power, and ran slightly hotter in H.265.

Preliminary Power Consumption Test Results

I performed power consumption test results in mid/late December 2023 using a beta firmware release of 0.913. The initial "production" firmware v1.000 was not delivered to testers until early January 2024. I have not rerun the power consumption tests with firmware v1.000 since I'm still trying to get dash camera units that are "in focus" and appropriate for North America. I was sent a replacement DR970X-2CH LTE Plus GL version instead of the NA version for North America. I cannot connect to the 4G LTE network with that unit in my location. I'm waiting for replacement units which is taking an extended period of time.

By default, the DR970X Plus series of dash cameras use the H.265/HEVC codec. You can select the H.264/AVC codec in the configuration settings. I did find that using the H.265 codec consumes slightly more power than using the H.264 codec. I did not capture any thermal pictures during these tests.

DR970X-2CH Plus
bv_dr970x_2ch_plus_power_0913_20240123.png bv_dr970x_2ch_plus_parking_times_0913_20240123.png

DR970X-2CH Plus using CM100GLTE NA Connectivity Module for 4G LTE Connection
bv_dr970x_2ch_plus_cm100glte_power_0913_20240123.png bv_dr970x_2ch_plus_cm100glte_parking_times_0913_20240123.png

DR970X-2CH LTE Plus

I was not able to get the first DR970X-2CH LTE Plus dash camera I received (running beta fw 0.913) to establish a successful "Live View" session over the 4G LTE connection using the BlackVue app (iOS or Android) or using the "Live View" feature on the BlackVue Cloud website. That's why there is a "-1" in the power consumption column for that feature. I was able to get a 4G LTE "Live View" session established using the DR970X-2CH Plus and the CM100GLTE NA connectivity module. I will retest when I get an updated North America compatible dash camera using the latest firmware (currently v1.000 as of this post's date).

bv_dr970x_2ch_lte_plus_power_0913_20240123.png bv_dr970x_2ch_lte_plus_parking_times_0913_20240123.png

I was finally able to import the raw video from four 2-channel dash cameras during three different drive sessions into Adobe Premiere Pro. Adobe Premiere Pro's "Media Encoder" program takes waaaaaay too long to queue the file import requests into the Adobe Media Encoder program.

I put together a few timelines with DR970X Plus video footage comparing it to a DR970X (older generation), a VIOFO A229 Pro and a Thinkware U3000.

There's a lot of windshield reflections in the BlackVue video. The DR970X Plus does not have a CPL filter available, so I did not install the CPL filter for the older DR970X. I do have the CPL filter installed for the A229 Pro dash camera. The U3000 does have a CPL filter available, but I have been running this U3000 without a CPL filter for the past several months.

The DR970X Plus lens is positioned in the center of the windshield just under the mount for the center rear view mirror. The VIOFO A229 Pro is mounted just to the right of the DR970X Plus. The DR970X is mounted on the left side of the center rear view mirror (up and left of a Thinkware U3000). The U3000 is mounted just to the left of the DR970X Plus.

The DR970X Plus is very out of focus (pre-production unit).

DR970X Plus (top) vs DR970X (bottom):
dr970xplus_vs_dr970x_front_daytime_dct.png

DR970X Plus (top) vs VIOFO A229 Pro (bottom):
dr970xplus_vs_a229pro_front_dct_1.png

DR970X Plus (top) vs Thinkware U3000 (bottom):
dr970xplus_vs_u3000_daytime_dct.png

Excellent work Robert.
The reason I asked if H.265 increases power consumption, and camera temperature is because I know a user in Sacramento that often reports his BlackVue shuts down from overheating in summer.
If the DR970X Plus in H.265 runs hotter than previous models I see more shut downs in summer heat.
If parking mode operates with reduced image quality maybe using H.264 will provide longer recording times before the camera shuts down.

@rcg530 Has Chris in Blackvue made any comment about yet another of their dashcams being out of focus and what if anything the company Pittasoft are going to do about it?

@rcg530 Has Chris in Blackvue made any comment about yet another of their dashcams being out of focus and what if anything the company Pittasoft are going to do about it?
The second DR970X-2CH LTE Plus Pittasoft sent me was a GL version and not a NA version which is required for my location. Mid January, Pittasoft said they would send me a NA version when stock was available. I've been trying to get the second out of focus DR970X-2CH Plus dash camera replaced, but there's been no response from Pittasoft. The second DR970X-2CH Plus dash camera has a serial number that is before the first DR970X-2CH Plus dash camera they sent to me. Both were in that early batch of pre-production units that might have a focus problem. In my case, both DR970X-2CH Plus dash cameras did have focus issues.

I decided to stop waiting on their slow response and show viewers of my channel what the video looks like from the units I have right now. I try my best to get any company that sends a dash camera to be reviewed to provide a unit that's in focus. I've traditionally waited for the dash camera company to address that issue (if they would). I no longer wait indefinitely for a solution to focus issues.

I watched @Vortex Radar's excellent review of the new DR970X Plus dash cameras. He mentioned how the front camera mounts offset from the windshield has been adjusted from the older mounts to account for the new larger front lens. I just documented that a couple of days ago in a couple of pics showing the old/new mounts side-by-side. The portion of the mount that attaches to the front camera body is the same size as before, so technically you can reuse the older mounts with the new DR970X Plus series dash cameras. @Vortex Radar pointed out, if your installation requires the camera lens to be placed very close to the front windshield glass, you'll need to use the newer mount to get your DR970X Plus front camera just a little further away from the window glass.

One thing that bothers me about the non-LTE front camera mount is the adjustment granularity for each adjustment position is too large. The non-LTE mount system has 40 teeth/notches which works out to 9 degrees per rotational position. The LTE mount system has 72 teeth/notches which works out to 5 degrees per rotational position. When I try to aim the non-LTE front camera to get the best 50/50 sky/ground split, it's either just above where I wanted it to be or just below where I want it to be based on the angle of my car's front windshield glass. The LTE mount allows me to get a far more precise placement/aim of the camera body.

dr970x_vs_dr970xplus_mounts_dct.png dr970xlte_vs_dr970xlteplus_mounts_dct.png

Speaking of lens adjustment I was comparing footage from Ariel’s review with BBMC’s, and your still screenshot.
It looks like you, and Ariel have identical lens adjustment.
BBMC’s is closer to 60% sky 40% road.
The DR970X user manual recommends 40% sky / 60% road.
Given the limited teeth on the non-LTE I guess error on the side of downward?

Attachments

• BlackVue DR970X Lens Alignment Instructions .png
    BlackVue DR970X Lens Alignment Instructions .png
    61.2 KB · Views: 16
  • BBMC .jpg
    BBMC .jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 17
  • RCG530 .jpg
    RCG530 .jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Vortex Radar  .jpg
    Vortex Radar .jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 15
I do miss an LCD for quick lens angle adjustments, especially when you’re switching units for testing or to get photos and videos of the dashcams themselves.

Slightly off topic but hopefully this is something that is improved on in the Plus version, how long does anyone’s DR970X here with the LTE version take to connect to LTE from when it leaves the wifi connection from your house?

Slightly off topic but hopefully this is something that is improved on in the Plus version, how long does anyone’s DR970X here with the LTE version take to connect to LTE from when it leaves the wifi connection from your house?
I haven't tried using the home WiFi option with my BlackVue dash cameras. I always turn them off when I park my car in the garage at home.

I have the audio turned off, but watching the LEDs it takes a few minutes. Whats odd is one of them will connect long before the other does even though they're both 970X LTEs on the same plan.

I just completed a DR970X Plus video with daytime/nighttime video samples from a BlackVue DR970X Plus, DR970X, Thinkware U3000 and VIOFO A229 Pro. Both DR970X Plus pre-production front cameras I have are out of focus. I've been asking Pittasoft to send me a pre-production or production unit that is in focus. Rather than waiting for several more weeks (or longer), I created this video showing what kind of video the initial "production" firmware v1.000 will create. Even though the new DR970X Plus front camera has a f/1.7 aperture lens which allows more light to reach the image sensor, the nighttime video is very dark. It's darker than the video created by the previous generation DR970X front camera with a f/2.8 aperture lens.

I used the default H.265/HEVC codec setting for the DR970X Plus to allow it to create 60 Mbps front camera video files. When configured to use the H.264/AVC codec, the front camera video bitrate drops to 40 Mbps. The VIOFO A229 Pro dash camera that I used for this video was run as a 2-channel configuration with a rear camera. That allowed the A229 Pro to create 58 Mbps H.264/AVC video files for the front camera.

I just completed a DR970X Plus video with daytime/nighttime video samples from a BlackVue DR970X Plus, DR970X, Thinkware U3000 and VIOFO A229 Pro. Both DR970X Plus pre-production front cameras I have are out of focus. I've been asking Pittasoft to send me a pre-production or production unit that is in focus. Rather than waiting for several more weeks (or longer), I created this video showing what kind of video the initial "production" firmware v1.000 will create. Even though the new DR970X Plus front camera has a f/1.7 aperture lens which allows more light to reach the image sensor, the nighttime video is very dark. It's darker than the video created by the previous generation DR970X front camera with a f/2.8 aperture lens.

I used the default H.265/HEVC codec setting for the DR970X Plus to allow it to create 60 Mbps front camera video files. When configured to use the H.264/AVC codec, the front camera video bitrate drops to 40 Mbps. The VIOFO A229 Pro dash camera that I used for this video was run as a 2-channel configuration with a rear camera. That allowed the A229 Pro to create 58 Mbps H.264/AVC video files for the front camera.

Wow! This is amazing work. Best editing comparison to date by anyone! May I use a screenshot of one of the night footages with source credit? The marketing term 'Super Night Vision' truely is BS. Kudos to VIOFO team (Nora and Bill)!

Wow! This is amazing work. Best editing comparison to date by anyone! May I use a screenshot of one of the night footages with source credit? The marketing term 'Super Night Vision' truely is BS. Kudos to VIOFO team (Nora and Bill)!
Thanks! I can get you a frame grab at full resolution if you want? The Thinkware "Super Night Vision 4.0" feature is turned off for continuous recording and on for parking mode only. In my early testing of the U3000, having "Super Night Vision 4.0" enabled during continuous recording mode did not make much of a difference. There's been no firmware updates for the U3000 since it was released, so I haven't revisited the use of the feature. I've been told by Thinkware support that Thinkware will be making improvements in the nighttime footage image quality, but I haven't heard of anything being completed for that goal.

Thanks! I can get you a frame grab at full resolution if you want? The Thinkware "Super Night Vision 4.0" feature is turned off for continuous recording and on for parking mode only. In my early testing of the U3000, having "Super Night Vision 4.0" enabled during continuous recording mode did not make much of a difference. There's been no firmware updates for the U3000 since it was released, so I haven't revisited the use of the feature. I've been told by Thinkware support that Thinkware will be making improvements in the nighttime footage image quality, but I haven't heard of anything being completed for that goal.
The footage as-is is enough for me. Thanks for the approval in advance. :)

I have been misled for long on this ongoing artificial brightening software effect that so many claim Super or Ultra Night Vision.

I wonder how many people paid money for this. It's like VW's clean-diesel claim. They've hyped it to version 4.0.. seriously!

Thanks mate. I do have a lot of questions so I'll get in touch with you privately!

I hope you send that to Chris in Pittasoft. Also, send it to the Founder/CEO: hhur@pittasoft.com

Wholly unacceptable and a disgrace. So, is there any improvement in the Plus models over last year’s model?

I hope you send that to Chris in Pittasoft. Also, send it to the Founder/CEO: hhur@pittasoft.com

Wholly unacceptable and a disgrace. So, is there any improvement in the Plus models over last year’s model?
I sent my video link to my Pittasoft marketing contact person, the marketing department and Chris. No response.

13-Feb-2024 Update:

Pittasoft created a new DHL shipment. I don't know for sure what's in it, but I'm guessing it may be a replacement DR970X Plus front camera for the one that's very out of focus. An email from Pittasoft would be a good thing every now and then....

Last week, I received a replacement DR970X-2CH LTE Plus dash camera for NA to replace the GL version that was sent to me in error. My preliminary focus checks suggest this unit is "in focus" or at least far better than previous units. I purchased a third party Blendmount for the non-LTE BlackVue cameras to allow me to get more BlackVue dash cameras installed into a smaller windshield space. I placed the latest DR970X LTE Plus dash camera lens in the middle of the windshield and the DR970X Plus (badly out of focus unit) just below it using the Blendmount.

The DR970X Plus series dash cameras have been updated to firmware version v1.001.

Here's how the dash cameras are arranged on my car's front windshield:
20240213_caprice_front_cameras.png

Here are frame grabs from the five dash cameras in my car during this morning's drive to the local post office.
cp_palmer_dr_bv_dr970x_20240213_093811_NF.mp4_snapshot_00.19.png cp_palmer_dr_u3000_nocpl_REC_20240213_093745_F.MP4_snapshot_00.16.png cp_palmer_dr_bv_dr970x_plus_20240213_093809_NF.mp4_snapshot_00.19.png cp_palmer_dr_bv_dr970x_lte_plus_20240213_093720_NF.mp4_snapshot_00.54.png cp_palmer_dr_a229pro_cpl_hdr_off_2024_0213_093743_F.MP4_snapshot_00.15.png

I purchased a third party Blendmount for the non-LTE BlackVue cameras to allow me to get more BlackVue dash cameras installed into a smaller windshield space.
Very nice.

Back