"What the hell did you think you were doing?"

sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.

"you cut me up" she said.

I asked her what the hell she thought she was doing since she was in the right hand lane.
According to her, she was in the rh lane because she was turning right (at the second roundabout (where we ended up)).
According to her, there is no right turn at that first roundabout!
So, at 42s, where is that white (?) car going as it turns left?

But if she was driving an Audi, isn't everyone else morally obliged to give way to her?

Frank

Did she hit you as it looks like there was an impact there and something flies up?

Yes, My OSF bumper was pulled away. there is scuff marks/white paint on her NSR 1/4 panel & a little on the rear door.

Noticed, from close up pics I took that her wheel arch is a tad mutilated :-D

Last edited:
Hope you're alright mate - will be interesting to see how things go - did she know you have it on camera as I wouldn't be surprised if she's told the insurance some porkies and you're the first UK person I know to have actually got it on video!

Hope you're alright mate - will be interesting to see how things go - did she know you have it on camera as I wouldn't be surprised if she's told the insurance some porkies and you're the first UK person I know to have actually got it on video!
I forgot to tell her about the dashcam - oh dear, I do sincerely hope she doesn't drop herself deep into the poop:rolleyes:

Guess she thought that there were two lanes off the roundabout as there are at the next. She certainly made use of two lanes even though they were not marked! Being an Audi, maybe she always makes use of the two lanes.

So Audi got on the inner lane that's suppose to only go around to the right, not straight.
We have few rounabouts here like that (two lanes to one on exit) but most of them have both lanes in all sides so less chance of things like that.

So Audi got on the inner lane that's suppose to only go around to the right, not straight.
We have few rounabouts here like that (two lanes to one on exit) but most of them have both lanes in all sides so less chance of things like that.
Outer lane. We drive on the left :)

Frank

We have roundabouts with two lanes on one exit. There is generally signage on the roads to let drivers know that left and right lanes can both be used - two lanes on entry - two on exit.
For example,
At the 13s mark, you can see how each lane is marked - ahead, ahead/right, right.
Mind you, if you watch, you can see that each lane has corresponding lane markings to guide you around the roundabout - and the morons still struggle to keep within the lines! (the red car at 22s, looks to come across from the third lane into the first).

That's confusing because of the zig zag markings. :)
You have to left then right and so on so quickly so that kinda things happen too often there.
:D
0.jpg

We have straight/smooth lane dividers here... hahahaha

Yeah, they do white zigzags either side of a pedestrian crossing - and the morons still park on them, obstructing the crossing!

Outer lane. We drive on the left :)

Frank

When I first started reading sludgeguts' description of the video I thought he was going to tell us the the accident was caused by a driver from a country where people drive on the right. :)

In the least few years they've installed several roundabouts where I live and most people don't know how to use them which causes all kinds of hair-raising driving experiences when you go through them. They've also squeezed them into places too small for roundabouts so they often don't work well to begin with. In neighboring states they are very large and are designed better and are therefore easier and safer to navigate. The other thing we experience here in the US is that some people come blasting into roundabouts like kamikaze pilots expecting everyone else to get out of the way. :mad: I'm sure drivers like that will eventually end up as road kill. ;)

In the least few years they've installed several roundabouts where I live and most people don't know how to use them which causes all kinds of hair-raising driving experiences when you go through them....
The rules for roundabouts are very simple, but people always find ways to complicate them, for example the Germans have created instructions for using the Magic Roundabout in Swindon UK:
Swindon_Magic_Roundabout_db.png

Why make it so complicated when it is simply explained by the roadsign?:

290px-Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg

And driving around it is even simpler - you can even choose to go clockwise or anti-clockwise so whatever exit you want, you never need to go more than half way around it :)

magic_roundabout_1_470x180.jpg

There's a similar one in Hemel Hempstead (Plough Roundabout).
I used to work in the large building top right. You'd be amazed some of the motoring antics we saw from the roof! :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1406389285.105263.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1406389285.105263.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 17
One of my mates is a long distance wagon driver. He has often spoken to me about the magic roundabout - never lovingly though! :(

Frank

Yes, roundabouts bring never ending excitement into our, otherwise boring, existence ;)
Wouldn't be a problem if people didn't undertake (pass on the inside of a vehicle) while on roundabouts and none of the incidents in the videos posted so far on this thread would have been an issue. Undertaking is normally illegal on UK roads, I don't understand why some people consider roundabouts to be an exception...

The above post is precisely the reason, why I think there should be compulsory re-testing, including theory, every ten years or so.

One ought to be able to make a distinction between undertaking, that is changing lane to the left to overtake a vehicle, which is indeed illegal, and moving in your lane faster, than a lane to the right, which is not.

Furthermore, since using roundabout inevitably (with just a handful of exceptions) involved changing lane to the left to exit (or indeed staying in the left lane), and it is quite likely to be a faster moving lane [at the point of exit] on a busy roundabout, the provision of rule 163(p8) applies fully, and rule 184 tells you to adjust your speed according to traffic conditions.

If everyone starts to slow down, just because the lane to the right of them is slowing down, we'll have even more of a gridlock ...

man....remind me not to rent a car when I visit the UK.....I looked at the vid a few times & yes, she sure should have pulled in behind u

I would have panicked when all of a sudden, 2 lines merged into one w/o any notice. I guess u folks know (or r supposed to) about things like that...here in calif. there would have been signs warning of the lanes merging. We have very few roundabouts...probably beyond the ability of r drivers to know what to do when faced w/ one/

Whilst it always looks worse at the time, this chap, took a bit of a risk, doing the straight on in lane 2.
Black Corsa had a driver clearly either lost or inexperienced. Their braking at roundabouts and traffic lights when clear showed this. When driver of passat committed to overtake on roundabout, Corsa wasnt "settled" and there was a good chance of a late change of direction, quite risky.
I caught up with Passat on next stretch of road despite not getting close to speed limit, just shows what overtake move actually achieved.

Last edited:
Back