post deleted by user

Last edited:
i appreciate the sample videos, but can you please turn off youtube's HORRIBLE shake/vibration reduction feature? it makes it really hard to tell the quality of the video since it's moving all over the place. even the interior view looks weird sometimes such as when you move in your seat or just little bumps in the road. the forward view almost gives me motion sickness the way it warps and jumps around. it also crops the video so you can't see the date/timestamp to see how legible it is (or isn't - remember the white outline text some early f20/i1000 firmwares had which was nearly invisible?)

the rear camera definitely looks better than the f20/i1000 i have now, but i'd like to see how it performs pointing outside, such as on the back window, to get an idea of how wide the angle is, and whether it can read number plates. is there a way you can point your camera through the front windscreen and record some sample video for us?

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive in the US, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed at the daytime image quality, though not surprised for this price. There seems to be too much compression and most signs and license plates appear over exposed and blurry. Still, it seems good enough for the price being a dual channel unit. I'm guessing the Pano X2 will be at least twice the cost of this, if not more.

KuoH

Last edited:
I understand, still there are numerous other 1080p dashcam videos on Youtube that do look much better. So far, I've only seen 720p samples from the seller, which were about he same quality as this. I was just hoping for a more noticeable improvement at 1080p, but there was no real basis for that expectation. It's ok though, since I'm not going to be the one using this on a permanent basis and it's significantly better than the unit it is replacing.

KuoH

Better to see raw samples before passing judgment, YouTube makes a mess of even the best videos

I just watched the Vimeo HD version, but it didn't look much different to me. I was specifically trying to read the street sign at the intersection where the bicycler ran the red light and plates on the parked cars and bus, none were what I'd call easily readable.

Don't be disappointed! I switched the uploaded files to Vimeo, there it appears much better.

When I see solutions like this one with two cables which are connected to a camera in two stupid positions I am asking myself if the designer of the dashcam ever used a dash cam in a car. Why not used the dashcam top position for the connectors? Right now I can say almost half of the windshield is covered by a dashcam and its accessories.

About video quality I am reserved. The Allwinner A10 specs say: H.264 HP video encoding up to 1080p@30 fps or dual-channel 720p@30 fps
The fps on vimeo are looking to me like 15fps. The vimeo video is 28fps and 1272x720. Also every 3 or 4 or 5 or 7 frame is a duplicate frame and maybe this is the reason why my perception of 15fps.
And details are almost missing. Maybe low quality lens, not only a poor codec, or encoder or chipset.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
well my i1000/f70 (with another allwinner processor) has some pathetically inaccurate descriptions for some of its different resolution settings. "1080p" actually produces files that are 1280x720 resolution and have a smaller timestamp to make it LOOK like it's really higher resolution. 720p does indeed produce 1280x720 files at a higher bitrate than "1080p" and with a larger timestamp. VGA creates 640x480 files which are 4:3 instead of 16:9 - basically 720 and "1080" just crop the top and bottom of the 4:3 image and then upscale it to fake even 720p. i say this because when i take a screencap from vga and compare it to 720 and 1080, i can't tell the difference except that 720 and 1080 are letterboxed. the amount of detail is the same. numberplates are equally blurry and illegible at all 3 settings. and before anyone says conditions were different, etc... i tested it in my driveway, parked behind another car, so conditions were basically identical - just how much the sun moved in the sky over teh course of a few minutes.

honestly the quality of this video doesn't look that great either, though the rear is definitely better. the fact that tehy think it needs LEDs for night vision on teh front-facing camera... it makes sense for one pointing to the interior, but not for one that should point outside.

personally i'll pass on this one. if my f70 dies anytime soon (it's starting to show some issues including a "puffy" battery... wonder if i can swap in some capacitors...), i'll probably replace it with the capacitor version of the A118 due out pretty soon, or maybe a g1wc if i can get a less bulky mount. i like how the f70 and a118 have mounts that put them flat on the windshield and let you aim the lens to compensate for the angle of the windshield. and the novatek processor and sensor combo used in the a118 and g1w* seem to do much better than the allwinner ones for only a little more $. short of that new vicovation dual hd unit that just came out (which is NOT cheap), i still think the best solution for us is two separate cameras. sure that means 2x sd cards and 2x power leads, but to me, running a power lead is easier than trying to run the usb/video lead for a rear camera, since i can cut/splice it to be exactly the length i need without a ton of extra wadded up somewhere in my car.

That's the impression I'm getting as well. The left and right sides of the image are noticeably less sharp than the center, but even the center area seems to lack detail, which point to the lens. Also, it almost seems like 720p upscaled to 1080p, which speaks to the quality of the sensor and/or codec. However at this price, I'm not aware of any other dual channel solutions with noticeably better performance.

KuoH

And details are almost missing. Maybe low quality lens, not only a poor codec, or encoder or chipset.

To be fair it's selling on eBay for $99, work backwards from that and it's no surprise that this is a cheap entry level product

If it's stable and reliable then it's still a better option than an F20, not suggesting it's going to be a high quality result but for the budget it's probably what's expected

You know what they say about if something is too good to be true. I agree, going backwards from $99 tells all.
Any DashCam that has LED's on the front for "night vision" = No Thanks
All that does is reflect off your window. It's just a marketing gimmick as usual with the other low priced cams out there. I can't even read license plate numbers in the videos.

to the original poster - thanks for reposting the videos, they are much better. and at the price point, you can't find a better dual channel setup. but for almost the same price i can buy 2x g1w with sd cards and have true 1080p front and rear. but if you need to see interior at night, a g1w won't work so this is probably better for your use case.

Last edited:
I find the suggestion to install 2 units of g1w or similar not applicable since it will completely block the driver's view. I addition, the g1w, as most car dvrs, due to their big size, need to be installed in the upper place of the windshield, which disables from capturing the front sitters in the car (too close to the dvr).
as i said, the g1w is not suitable for interior use, at least not at night, because it doesn't have IR LEDs. i think g1w has more than wide enough view to capture the front passengers. your rear cam only has a 90 degree fov while the g1w is at least 120 degrees.

most non-taxi drivers probably don't need to get video of the interior, and the second channel is used to record out the back window. thus, 2x g1w will work fine.

most non-taxi drivers probably don't need to get video of the interior, and the second channel is used to record out the back window. thus, 2x g1w will work fine.
Editing my answer after reading your reply again: G1W in the back can be a challenge to many vehicles, since the suction cup won't attached to the anti fog horizontal strips in the rear window.

Last edited:
Back