New Mini 0803 Mount Design

BlackBoxed.ca

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada

We've received a Mini 0803 shipment with a redesigned mount. This one is tighter fitting than the previous one and from our observations, it looks like the pins stick out slightly further. The changes fixes the wobbly mount problems from before, and now ensures connection between the mount and the Mini 0803.

Let us know what you think!

Kelvin

Would be interesting if this really helps. All my 0801/0803 mounts are "wobbly" :D

We just received these yesterday, so we haven't tested it much yet. However, from just putting the Mini 0803 onto the mount, you can feel it's much tighter. I'll have to confirm with the manufacturer to see if they really did something to make the pins really stick further. Hope they did!

Kelvin

Ive just bought one of the 0803 with gps less than a week ago......I got supplied the old style mount and it is very wobbly even after this short time..

Ive just bought one of the 0803 with gps less than a week ago......I got supplied the old style mount and it is very wobbly even after this short time..
Just do the paper shim mod to it, looks like the main difference in the new one is probably just the tolerances which the shim mod can sort anyway: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gps-dock-pin-repair.6493/#post-78548

I've not heard of them actually breaking so I'm not sure why it needed strengthening?
I wonder if they strengthened the springs in the pins?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the photos, you'll see that the shoe has been extended.

Frank

About time, I told the factory 18 months ago this needed to be done, they agreed but have been very slow to respond

They ( factories ) never listens to wise-guys when issue is pointed out on the first place. Only after 1000-ds of people report issue and many unhappy customers out there, - only then they start thinking.

What do you think about this ?
I think you fail to understand how it works, your version will show vibration on the video as the pins are only supporting one side of the camera, you need to add an extra row of pins and ensure that the two rows are equal distance from the centre line...

I think you fail to understand how it works, your version will show vibration on the video as the pins are only supporting one side of the camera, you need to add an extra row of pins and ensure that the two rows are equal distance from the centre line...
I fail nothing. Have 1 x 0801 and 2 x 0803. Know how they built and how "reliable" is mount.
Yes, I see your point on adding spring push-pins on each side which would create equal pressure of the main body mount area into the bracket, but biggest issue is still too small / short surface area of the bracket mount. You think why they added 2-3 mm extra lenght of bracket holder edge? , - to create more surface area which hold dashcam.
Because whole weight of 0803 ( 0801 ) are forced on opposite side, I do think it still would be more practical to extend slide-in surface area. With precise tooling there is no need of two row pins.
Hope you inderstand what I was trying to say by proposing more bracket / mount "connection" surface area.

If you extend the top of the clamp then you reduce the amount of force that the pins put against each mm2 so you increase the chance of it rattling on bumpy road. That is why they have only extended the sides of the clamp. If you extend the top then you either need stronger pins or more pins to keep the clamping force sufficient for the weight of the camera.

Maybe you could print one on a 3D printer to find out who is correct?

It needs stronger pins already, extending the mount might make it a bit sturdier but still won't solve connection related issues if they haven't done anything about the pins

Last edited:
If you extend the top of the clamp then you reduce the amount of force that the pins put against each mm2 so you increase the chance of it rattling on bumpy road. That is why they have only extended the sides of the clamp. If you extend the top then you either need stronger pins or more pins to keep the clamping force sufficient for the weight of the camera.

Maybe you could print one on a 3D printer to find out who is correct?
PINs connectors must not work as a solution to solve strenght of force to hold bracket. They should serve only for power / data connection ( thats how I would see more practical approach ). Sooner or later spring-pins will lose their strenght no matter is it 1 or 2 rows. Most practical would be to work on extending overall bracket surface area. With precise tooling it can be achieved to work correctly.
I agree with you, everything we say / discuss is just the theory. So, its need to be put into practice. I will leave test n try to manufacturer R&D. They get paid for that. Our ( your, mine and others ) job here is to create discission and give them ideas / proposals to work on them ;)

Reactions: Mtz
It needs stronger pins already, extended the mount might make it a bit sturdier but still won't solve connection related issues if they haven't done anything about the pins
Latest batch of 0803 PINs looks slightly stronger to me. Not sure if its only because its fairly new unit ( had used only 1 week )., so I would not give any conclusions now. Will see after few month.

Latest batch of 0803 PINs looks slightly stronger to me. Not sure if its only because its fairly new unit ( had used only 1 week )., so I would not give any conclusions now. Will see after few month.
I suspect a quality problem with the pins has been the main cause of problems for the 0803. We have seen pictures of pins with inconsistent length and that may mean 1/4 of the clamping force is missing which would make the camera feel wobbly. I don't think the base of the camera is supposed to be a tight fit in the clamp, it is the springs in the pins that hold it tight.

The number of problem reports has already decreased even though the new clamp is not released - maybe they have already sorted the springs with the old bases.

I would have thouht it is the clamp provided by the base not the pins that is key, if the pins had sufficient strength in the spring to clamp the camera in place then you would struggle to slide the camera into position without breaking the pins.

I would have thouht it is the clamp provided by the base not the pins that is key, if the pins had sufficient strength in the spring to clamp the camera in place then you would struggle to slide the camera into position without breaking the pins.
I think best compromise is so called "best of both": to improve pins force along with longer ( stretched ) base which fitment must be more precise, without such big gap as it was ( is ? ) now. Then I guess issue will be sorted.

That is why the pins have a ramp so that you compress them slowly as you slide it in, the last part of the slide is flat, or maybe slightly negative so you feel it become easy as it "locks" into place.

Back