Higher voltage hard-wire

David Chesler

Reaction score
Country
United States
My G1W (battery) is sensitive to low voltage. (I've only found one good accessory circuit and I've got a few electronics off it.) My alternator is good, but when I've got a low voltage in the circuit (e.g. headlights and blower are on, at idle, and I've got other accessories going) the dashcam cycles off and on, or sometimes turns on with "Please insert card". On the highway with lights out this doesn't happen.

I'm guessing my 12v - to - miniUSB hardwire is a simple resistor network, or something else not smart enough to drop the car's voltage, whether it is 14v or 11v, to 5v.

Is there a hard-wired or cigarette lighter plug converter that will deliver a more reliable 5 volts so I don't have that problem?

For sure it was a low-cost universal Chinese model. Identical in appearance to one that came packaged with another camera, and to this link:
390xNxmini_0801_hardwire_kit01.jpg.pagespeed.ic.8uZCKdXo4-.webp
I figure I went too cheap, and now I'd like to buy a better one for more reliable filming.

you have that one, or just one that looks like that one?

there is one that a lot of people have bought that looks like that one that has caused lots of problems with cameras, the voltage output is very unstable on the cheap models

Last edited:
Looks like that one. Whatever the cheapest import that looks like it is, assume that's what I have.
Is there another (either a better design or a better implementation) that will reliably give the power needed even when the supply voltage is in the 11.5v range?

you have that one, or just one that looks like that one?

there is one that a lot of people have bought that looks like that one that has caused lots of problems with cameras, the voltage output is very unstable on the cheap models
(Bump)
What hard-wire is recommended?

Back