Viofo A119 won't power on when using USB extension cable to car charger

Pilkington

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my Viofo A119 for a bit now and I decided to hide the wiring in my car. So I got a right angle mini USB cable and a USB extension cable with the goal of ultimately routing the cabling to my car charger which is what currently powers the A119.

However, my issue is that when using the USB extension cable, the A119 doesn't seem to get enough power to stay on. I'll get the button lights coming on for a moment and then it turns off. What are my options here? Is is the extension cable? USB charger? Do I need to hardwire? I just didn't think that there would be a power issue with using an extension cable.

For reference, here's what I'm using:

USB extension cable

Right angle mini USB cable

USB car charger

Any of the components could be the issue if they're not allowing sufficient current to reach the camera. The USB charger you linked to has a lot of disclaimers as to what it may/may not work with. That plus your description of the problem would make me suspect it as being the culprit.

Longer cables have more voltage drop.
Larger-numbered wire gauges ('AWG') suffer more voltage drop.
Joints/connections where two cables meet suffer a power drop.

So if the cable that I'm using will power the dash cam without the extension cable, but won't with it, is it assumed that the power drop is enough to be below the minimum required for the cam?

So if the cable that I'm using will power the dash cam without the extension cable, but won't with it, is it assumed that the power drop is enough to be below the minimum required for the cam?
That would be a safe assumption.

What I would do is a multi-step approach.

1 - Charger + Cable + Camera. If this works then the charger is not the problem (at least not by itself)

2 - Charger + Right angle cable + Camera.

3 - Charger + Extension + Camera.

4 - Charger + Cable + Right angle cable + Camera.

5 - Charger + Cable + Extension + Camera.

6 - Charger + Extension + Right angle cable + Camera.

7 - Charger + Cable + Extension + Right angle + Camera.

By adding individual components individually and in combination you will eventually determine where it is that the failure occurs which should then give you an idea of how to fix it. Having 2 extensions in the mix (Extension + Right angle) is probably more than most would do.

I opted for a 15 foot cable in lieu of the extension in order to eliminate as many connections as possible, ending up with Charger + 15 foot cable + Right angle connector + Camera.

Edit: I just noticed that the combined length of the extension plus right angle cables you're using is 12.5 feet. This may also play into the issue you're having as the max cable length in the USB standard is 5 meters - especially if the wire gauge in the cable is on the smaller end of the scale.

"USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters for devices running at high speed (480 Mbit/s). The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1.5 μs. If USB host commands are unanswered by the USB device within the allowed time, the host considers the command lost."

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Last edited:
I have the exact problem.
Just bought the camera. I use the charger and cable that were in the box.
It boots up and then shuts down.

With the short cable provided it works just fine.

Any ideas on how to fix the issue?
.... I see that pilkington with a 2m long cable there are still issues...

I have the exact problem.
Just bought the camera. I use the charger and cable that were in the box.
It boots up and then shuts down.

With the short cable provided it works just fine.

Any ideas on how to fix the issue?
.... I see that pilkington with a 2m long cable there are still issues...
Maybe your long USB cable is bad. Your using the short cable with the car adapter as well?

Maybe your long USB cable is bad. Your using the short cable with the car adapter as well?

Yes, the short cable with the car adaptor works just fine.
I am looking for a replacement 3m long cable now. Hopefully the problem is the cable.

I have found some USB cables do not connect to an extension, try the cable on your computer first.

Yes, the short cable with the car adaptor works just fine.
I am looking for a replacement 3m long cable now. Hopefully the problem is the cable.
After a minor fender bender the cable end in the camera came totally apart. The seller did replace the defective cable-but I don't trust their cables due to poor quality. I have had good luck with Monoprice cables from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/B002KL8J8W. (I have no financial interest in that company.) They seem very well made and have performed well so far in all my cameras.

This cam seems to need more current than some others based on the reports I've seen here on DCT. That is not a failing of this cam for all USB powered cams should have 5V @~1.5A available at the cam port- that is what they are all designed around ;) Give this cam that level of power input and it will work fine.

Cheap PS's and cheap USB cables or over-long ones are always a no-no for any cam- avoid them like the plague :mad: Far better to extend the 12V to have a shorter USB cable- the higher the voltage, the less current that gets lost in length. GIGO applies to cams too, so feed your cam well and you'll both be happy :D

Phil

Back