Tired of hit and runs

hitnstop

Reaction score
Country
United States
So had my car hit twice in the same neighborhood in a week. Significant damage on the the fenders. I'm looking for a dashcam that can do the following:

1. Parking mode! Something that will turn on when parked and record the fleeing vehicle.
2. Day and Night mode.
3. Would like to have front and rear if possible.

My budget is $500-$600...basically my insurance deductible if I get stuck with a hit and run.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

How is lighting where you park, in low light you will have little chance of capturing more than make and color of the offender, at least if he is at a jogging or higher speed.

When i mover where i am now i got my car vandalized 2 times, first car got keyed a few days before i sold it so had to take a massive dive in resell prize, the next car got a window broken when it was a few months old.

I now park my car in the back yard and not on the street along the curb, and then i have a 1080p IP camaera at the car the whole time.

The ip camera provide IR light that is needed as back yard have next to no light at night.

How is lighting where you park, in low light you will have little chance of capturing more than make and color of the offender, at least if he is at a jogging or higher speed.

When i mover where i am now i got my car vandalized 2 times, first car got keyed a few days before i sold it so had to take a massive dive in resell prize, the next car got a window broken when it was a few months old.

I now park my car in the back yard and not on the street along the curb, and then i have a 1080p IP camaera at the car the whole time.

The ip camera provide IR light that is needed as back yard have next to no light at night.

My car was hit in broad daylight around 10am. We went inside and came out 15 mins later and there it was.

I have a home surveillance system so I don't need anything at home but I have been hit twice recently, and let me tell you I am DONE paying money for others actions. One was a hit and run, super stoned guy (the weed smoke was rolling off of him) tried to pass as I was taking a left then bolted after trying to talk me out of calling the cops. I stupidly let down my guard and did not get pics of his license plate when he stopped and got out. A week and a half ago some asshat hit my car in the grocery parking lot. That'll be a $500 deductible and possible rate increase.

I just bought the Thinkware F770 which I am hooking up tonight or tomorrow, I have been so busy I literally have not had time since it arrived on Monday. I bought it specifically for parking mode, and it has front and rear cameras. Wifi accessible, mobile app for my Droid. $400 may seem like a lot until I depreciate it against the deductible cost and potential rate hike. I am adding one or two little cameras for the sides too, they are like $50 at Amazon.

Yeah the F 770 seem to be a popular dual camera at the moment, and it have a good parking mode im told.

Too bad there are so many creeps out there. :(:mad:

Once i was parked on a downward slope behind another car, and somehow i messed up the reversing back so i was able to turn around the car in front, so i slowly rolled forward and hit the parked car.

So i reversed back got out inspected the other car, found nothing wrong with it, but never the less i left my phone number and description what happened to the person on a pice of paper behind the driver side wiper.

Off course i never heard from the person as there was no dents or scratches in the plastic, but that aside you still have to do the right thing.

It is the little things that set us apart from the animals.

Before you go select the brand. 2&3 you have listed are normally basic stuff in a dash cam.

You should understand more about the parking mode. Many consumers thought it will be keep recording under the parking mode. However, it is just a fantasy as it depend on the battery consumption of your vehicle.

First of all, dash cam will be switch off after your car engine is off. hereby the parking mode will be best if it is functioning with the motion detector, any motion detected will be causing the dash cam to record. If your battery is nearly 99% new, take an example of purchasing a new car. It may have more battery usage to supply the power to your dash cam. Sometimes it will drain all of your car battery and that's why you need function like low voltage cutoff in order to avoid battery draining as you set the voltage to 12.3-1, stop supplying power to the dash cam.

The duration of parking mode really depends on the traffic. If you parked the car in underground, then it should be last for a night. If you parked the car in a busy traffic street many cars and pedestrians crossing, it may last for only few hours.

Second, SD cards are important too, some consumers are willing to store and watch the videos in few days so they need bigger capacity like 256 GB. Better find class 10 SD like samsung but not Sandisk.

Sometimes people think they have a new car so their battery is cool to go. However, new car doesn't mean the car battery is fully new as the stock has been placed somewhere without starting the car engine, voltage may have drop down if the location is very cold. Better to check out your car battery before installing a dash cam.

....then i have a 1080p IP camaera at the car the whole time.

What IP camera do you have for this? I've been looking at them for a few weeks now and am no closer to making a decision than I was the first day. :(

It is a huge ( 7" ) sized PTZ camera from China, so easy to spot mounted on top of my balcony door :)

Look like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272478317101
I think you can get PTZ cameras with 20 X optical zoom in a 4" housing now, i would now go for something like that as it is after all more discreet.

I need it to be PTZ as i am zoomed in close, and i don't always park in the same spot, or rather i do it seem cuz it is not often i have to tweak it.
But it is always nice to be able to swing it around.

It is a huge ( 7" ) sized PTZ camera from China, so easy to spot mounted on top of my balcony door :)

Look like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272478317101
I think you can get PTZ cameras with 20 X optical zoom in a 4" housing now, i would now go for something like that as it is after all more discreet.

I need it to be PTZ as i am zoomed in close, and i don't always park in the same spot, or rather i do it seem cuz it is not often i have to tweak it.
But it is always nice to be able to swing it around.
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression (why I don't know) that you had a smaller portable cam - something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01N7HX87Z
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0145OQTPG
Guess I just need to keep looking and buy something on blind faith and internet reviews. :eek:

O no, its like a oversized misshaped football on my balcony door :D
And its been there a while now and i never heard any one mention it, i assume to Danes being bread to be spied on and groomed to think they have secrets when really they have none at all.
So they probably think its big brother up there on the 2 floor balcony door, and big brother is always good even if he cost a astonishing amount of tax money.
The Americans have 30.000 dollar toilet seats for funding, we Danes have 500.000 DKkr IT systems for the police that just end up in a waste basket, and so on.

Seem like today we had a nation wide failure of ATM machines, so i had to find a bank where they have money in it ( not all of the few banks left here have a counter and money in it )

Funny thing those banks, when i was young we had lots of them with lots of counters and money and people working in them, now we have way less, and still its more expensive to have a bank account than ever,,,,,,, i swear there is something rotten in the state of Denmark.

IMG_20170406_170821[1]_big_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Before you go select the brand. 2&3 you have listed are normally basic stuff in a dash cam.

You should understand more about the parking mode. Many consumers thought it will be keep recording under the parking mode. However, it is just a fantasy as it depend on the battery consumption of your vehicle.

First of all, dash cam will be switch off after your car engine is off. hereby the parking mode will be best if it is functioning with the motion detector, any motion detected will be causing the dash cam to record. If your battery is nearly 99% new, take an example of purchasing a new car. It may have more battery usage to supply the power to your dash cam. Sometimes it will drain all of your car battery and that's why you need function like low voltage cutoff in order to avoid battery draining as you set the voltage to 12.3-1, stop supplying power to the dash cam.

The duration of parking mode really depends on the traffic. If you parked the car in underground, then it should be last for a night. If you parked the car in a busy traffic street many cars and pedestrians crossing, it may last for only few hours.

Second, SD cards are important too, some consumers are willing to store and watch the videos in few days so they need bigger capacity like 256 GB. Better find class 10 SD like samsung but not Sandisk.

Sometimes people think they have a new car so their battery is cool to go. However, new car doesn't mean the car battery is fully new as the stock has been placed somewhere without starting the car engine, voltage may have drop down if the location is very cold. Better to check out your car battery before installing a dash cam.

Just to add. If your car is one of the newer 'compact' style, manufacturers tend to be very stingy with the battery - the engine compartments are generally packed tight so hardly room for a battery, therefore, manufacturers put in lower powered batteries (cheaper as well!). These will fire up the engine just fine for a couple of years but will suffer more in colder temps and the heavier strain shortens their life.

Back