iTracker retired - now looking for a new road mate ...

Ollie7

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi there!

I used to run an iTracker GS6000 in my Porsche Boxster Convertible until a couple of weeks ago when the product started to fail (irregular reboots). It seved its purpose quite well and I was even able to catch out some dude who backed up into my parked car, left some damage and ran for it - but only after taking a „trophy picture“ on his iPhone. Let’s put it like this: I was quite pleased with having all of that on video, and so was the police ;).

Now - with the iTracker gone, I’m looking into several options. I also own a Rollei 110 which is way too bulky for the car. I’m willing to invest up to - say, 700$, for good quality and reliability.

I was looking at the BlackVue 650 which just surfaced on the German market, but skimming through the forum here my enthusiasm kind of dwindled … It seems as if too many people are complaining about too old technology and rather poor quality at certain speeds due to a processor that cannot catch up properly.

So - here’s what I'm looking for:
  • Top notch quality, at day as well as at night
  • GPS not necessarily required; I run a Mac anyway, and a lot of the software seems to be Win only
  • A slim casing - screen NOT needed; I will install it right next to my rear-view mirror. The iTracker was quite good here (in regards to form); the Rollei 110 is horrible and really way too visible from the outside.

Here’s some things I’m not quite clear about yet:

• My car gives electricity from the jack even when the car is parked. This has caused quite a few times where I forgot to unplug the device and returned a couple of days later to an empty battery which needed to be jump started. I’m really not sure - should I be looking into one of the battery backup options (and are there any that don't need to be physically connected to the battery)? Is there any „safe choice“ you would recommend? Or are there dashcam with an auto turn off after - say, 3 hrs?
  • Anyone here with a similar car tried a rear cam? I could install it to the wind breaker shield - not sure if it makes any sense or gives any useful videos … recommendations needed.

Any input is highly recommended. I was quite keen about the blackvue 650, but there still seem to be too many problems with it. Cannot find an eligible alternative so far, though …

I had the exact same realization as you about the BlackVue 650. My post (started only yesterday): https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/2nd-camera-question-s.7225/

My own choice: I went with a Panorama G for the front, and a Street Guardian SG9665GM in the back.

That way I get 1080p @ 30 FPS video in both front and back (the blackvue is only 1080 in front), and at a much higher bitrate (ie. quality)

I also run a Mac; for Macintosh viewing software, there's a couple of options I've found so far:
  • http://dashcamviewer.com; $10 USD.
    • Seems pretty nice, I'll let you know more tomorrow (when my cameras cams arrive)
    • Dashcamviewer supports the Panorama G, and I've seen posts here that the Street Guardian will have support in the future.
  • http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
    • There's a Mac version. Haven't tried it yet.
  • For power, there are a number of options that auto cut off the power to the camera after the battery voltage drops too low, but keep the cameras powered as much as possible.
Now that you know that there is a dash cam viewer software for Mac, that does GPS, it may change your mind about whether to get it or not.

The Panorama G has a GPS; the Panorama S does not.
  • The price difference isn't that big.
  • The Panorama has a reputation here for top-notch video quality, among other things (it's the 'best all-around camera' on this forum).
The Street Guardian has an optional GPS, and looks very discreet.
  • It does, however, have a battery, so you can't leave it in your car on a hot day.
    • I'm not sure how hot it gets where you live, but the interior of my car can easily top 60C in summer.
    • It does have a quick-remove mount, which will work out OK for me.

I purchased both from Pier 28, who ships worldwide. They also have a "hardwire kit" which has a box that monitors your battery's charge level & cuts off the power to the cameras if the power drops too low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update:

Dashcamviewer works with my Panorama G and my Mac. GPS data, heading, speed, map, and 3 axis accelerometers all work.

Quick update:

Dashcamviewer works with my Panorama G and my Mac. GPS data, heading, speed, map, and 3 axis accelerometers all work.

should work correctly with the SG9665GPS soon also, there's a bug we're just addressing with that now, Pier28 will no doubt update you once that's sorted providing they have your email details

Pariah - thanks so much for your helpful input so far. Much appreciated! Shame the Panorama isn't available within Germany. With an international order shipping in from overseas, there's usually a lot of hassle involved driving to customs, paying sales tax there etc. (been there, done that). I might consider looking at some other options or ordering it next time I'm in the US.

cost for the front and back? this looks slick. where to purchase?

tempted to purchase. @Fraer , do you have one? are you a rep for this model?

do you know if the rear cam has to be attached to the rear window? ive an suv with a rear hatch and dont want to be forced to mount the cam on the rear glass...

İ am using it at my Opel Astra J sedan, both of them are stickied on front and rear. Look at youtube , there is instalation video.

thanks mate.

my question is does the REAR cam have to be attached to the glass or can it be attached to a mount elsewhere.

no worries if you are unable to answer. appreciate the heads up.

by the by, what card are you using? brand and max capacity? I would wager it would take larger than 16gb

İ am using 32 gb sandisk ultra class 10, if you need to mount it , and release when needed, Quadlock is good choice.

Last edited:
one last q, ok two.. :D

do you use an android or iphone for the app? can you vie in realtime the image from either cam or does the app not allow that? also yo can adjust/set the controls from the app wirelessly with out connecting to the cams no?

Back