Best video settings for post processing (protune)

Anton Claeys

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
When i use standard video settings on the git2, color grading in prost-processing seems a bit cheap. There's not a lot of information in the shadows and colors are oversaturated.

Can someone give me advice on the best video settings on the git2 so I can use it for color grading etc. In post-processing? Something similar to gopro protune? I tried soft contrast, low sharpness and normal colors, high bitrate, but the video is still not as nice and crisp like some videos I've seen on YouTube.

I'm using final cut btw.

Please place some crisp examples here.
Usually, as the first step of all, I kill the blue tint shadows with the blue channel curve (Premiere):

Attachments

• prm1.jpg
    prm1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!

Below is a screenshot of one of my holiday movies (filmed at 1080p60). Almost no prost-processing is done here, but as you can see, the edges are not smooth. When I try to do some color grading, those edges start to look bad real quick.

Below that, is a picture I took from a random vimeo movie shot with a gitup git2 as well. Some color grading most likely happened and the edges look nicer and less blurred.

Basically, what I'm asking is what are the best camera settings to achieve a "protune" like flat image which can be post-processed easily to achieve stunning footage? Your screenshot looks really nice; what are you using?

upload_2017-4-5_13-9-27.png
upload_2017-4-5_13-13-16.png

Hm. As for blurred edge, it looks strange and I have no idea about it. Maybe you have to check the lens surface is in good condition.
Also I recommend to check your project settings. It must be progressive (30p or 60p frame rate), not interlaced (30i or 60i).
My settings are not extraordinary: 1080p60 (or 30 fps in forest's shadow), low contrast, color normal, gyro on, low sharp, metering CarDVR, high bitrate.
The low contrast option gives the something like protune. My output format is h264, bitrate about 18-25 mbps.

Ok thanks, will try some different things.
How do I set the video to progressive or interlaced?

Ok thanks, will try some different things.
How do I set the video to progressive or interlaced?
For Final Cut - File -> New project, select custom for Video properties. Then select 1080p (p means progressive) and framerate according to your recordings (30p or 60p).

High bitrate
Low sharpness
A little -EV, just enough that the highlights in the clouds are not overexposed.
Everything else as close as possible to what you want as the end result.

To get it looking sharp will then require some work with your editor but it is better to sharpen it in the editor than do it in the camera. Sharpening should be the last step after making all other changes.

I think your vimeo frame grab must have a fair bit of noise reduction, normally I avoid doing noise reduction but for that type of image it can be worth while.

Back