Is a dual camera dash cam really worth it?

eb2phkingood

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a single camera dash cam. I was just curious what the main advantages to having a dual camera would be? Obviously I could see inside the car but I'm assuming if the car is turned off I won't see if someone broke in to steal stuff. (and most likely he would steal the camera anyways). And I can't really understand seeing behind me out the back glass.

So I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to why multi camera systems are mainly used/needed?

thanks!

camera at the rear of the vehicle can be useful, camera aimed into the interior not so useful in my experience, they're rarely pointed anywhere useful and don't offer great results, YMMV

I think are good for taxi or bus.

enjoy,
Mtz

A dual camera setup starts making sense if you're using your recording device for surveillance as well, not only for traffic recording.

mituc said:
A dual camera setup starts making sense if you're using your recording device for surveillance as well, not only for traffic recording.

Hi! Could you please elaborate a little more? Do some people let their cameras run at all times? Even when the car is turned off? Overnight at their house... etc?

thanks mate!

Many cameras have this. Is called Parking Mode. In this mode the camera is in stand by and it start recording if some motion or shock detected.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Many cameras have this. Is called Parking Mode. In this mode the camera is in stand by and it start recording if some motion or shock detected.

enjoy,
Mtz

Sorry to keep bothering, just 1 more question:

does this dvr 027 that everyone is talking about and is listed number 1 on the buyers guide have this parking mode motion detection feature? If not, could you recommend one that does with similar features abilities and cost of the 027?

thanks Mtz!

eb2phkingood said:
Mtz said:

enjoy,
Mtz

Sorry to keep bothering, just 1 more question:

does this dvr 027 that everyone is talking about and is listed number 1 on the buyers guide have this parking mode motion detection feature? If not, could you recommend one that does with similar features abilities and cost of the 027?

thanks Mtz!

lots of cameras have the parking mode function, keep in mind the camera has to be powered at all times for this to work, using something like a Power Magic Pro is recommended if you want to use parking mode so that you can manage the camera and not end up with a flat battery

Yes, you are right about the Uninterruptible Power Control (UPC) unit but I think for people which are driving daily or at two days this is not really needed. In the UPC settings I see two options, one based on time and was for example 48 hours ant another based on voltage (for example 11.8V) to cut the power to the camera. The time problem is solved if you drive frequently and if the battery will go dead if you just let the camera on in parking mode until next day, you don't need a UPC, but a new battery. And if the UPC will interrupt the power just after few hours, you don't have a camera with Parking Mode enabled.

But we also must consider how good is working the Parking Mode and I don't know if there is so much information.
When camera is in standby and not recording the power consumption is smaller compared to recording mode. Not so much, but there is.

Regarding the DVR027, if the DVR-007 is the same model but without that stupid frontal LEDs I prefer the DVR 007. Some active user have it and you can ask him more things about parking mode.
viewtopic.php?t=203

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Back