AccordingOne

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hey guys, i got a quick one, i'm going to event with fireworks tonight and i would love to shoot some video, but low light is a bummer for all action cams as we are well aware. So, any idea how to configure cam settings properly for that task? I think i would go with 2,7 k 60 hz (for EIS) and 400 ISO. (for no grain) but i don't know if it will be visable then. To be clear, my concern now is fireworks only, i don't want to film bunch of people watching fireworks rather fireworks itself so maybe it wont be that bad after all. What about a time lapse ?? (optionally)

Fireworks are reasonably bright, if you set the exposure too high then you will loose all the colour. 1/60th at ISO 200 should work well but it does depend on how close you can get - with a normal action camera lens you want to get very close, and maybe leave the camera recording while you retreat to safety! Turn WDR on so that it picks up the smoke.

Difficult bit is setting it up so the fireworks stay in the frame without them being too far away.

Remember that fireworks are as much about the sound as the sparks, do you want the sound of the crowd or to keep away from them and just have the rockets and explosions.

Gitup Git2 fireworks:

Well, first of all i want to thank for quick reply. I won't be able to change my position to freely or to get to close to the scene because fireworks will be launched out of barge on the lake and i'm going to film either from the beach or from a little hill but it's going to be crowded place anyway. Still you have a point, cause there will be music in the background which probably will be sync and it would be perfect to, record that too. About the settings, i can't tweak shutter speed that much.While shooting a time lapse i can change EV, ISO Min, Max, but it is possible to change shutter speed only when i set interval as continuous and the lowest of SS value is 2s ;/ While filming i can tweak only Exposure value, white balance, and max ISO (400 ISO is the lowest one) that is why i'm so confused in a first place.

Well, first of all i want to thank for quick reply. I won't be able to change my position to freely or to get to close to the scene because fireworks will be launched out of barge on the lake and i'm going to film either from the beach or from a little hill but it's going to be crowded place anyway. Still you have a point, cause there will be music in the background which probably will be sync and it would be perfect to, record that too. About the settings, i can't tweak shutter speed that much.While shooting a time lapse i can change EV, ISO Min, Max, but it is possible to change shutter speed only when i set interval as continuous and the lowest of SS value is 2s ;/ While filming i can tweak only Exposure value, white balance, and max ISO (400 ISO is the lowest one) that is why i'm so confused in a first place.
Sounds like you will be a bit far away so a video would be better than photos, especially if the audio is good. You can always take some frame grabs as photos.

Do you have an exposure lock function? - a video will be much better if it doesn't keep reacting to the flashes by changing the auto exposure.
If you can't set the exposure reasonable quick then maybe use a 60fps mode so that it can't go faster than 1/60th, unless it switches to 30fps anyway in the dark like some cameras do.

I would set white balance to sunshine so that it doesn't change the colours every time a different colour firework goes up, you can get the colours good on the computer later.
And set that max ISO as low as possible.

Back