GPS Poor Signal / Mounting Angle

hansmoman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay so, I purchased the cam a few weeks ago. Tried to flip the GPS and broke it, because the new GPS modules are different than the one in the "how to flip" video. The adhesive is so strong the PCB flexed dramatically while trying to pry it out. At any rate, what I ended up doing was I ordering a replacement GPS, and this time I dremeled off the plastic case off the new unit while not disturbing the PCB. Then I took the new PCB and put it in the original case, flipped. Pretty confident there's no damage this time around, aside from being out the extra $30.

I mounted the flipped sensor with the ceramic chip antenna facing the sky on my windshield next to the cam / rear view mirror, under some of the stippled paint. The windshield is at 45 degree angle or there abouts. However it takes much longer to acquire GPS signals on startup (icon turn from red to green), and on some of my videos the GPS is completely dropped out. Others I can tell the GPS vehicle speed updating is very delayed, so it must be getting really poor signal. These are on clear sky days.

Would this be related to the mounting angle or the stippled paint on windshield? I could return it to stock, and just stick it on the dash like before (it seemed to work fine then), however that solution isn't very tidy.

Edit: Actually, I hadn't tested the replacement sensor at all before modifying it. The original one that came with the cam (that I broke) is the one that worked fine when mounted on the dash. So a third variable is that the replacement GPS was faulty but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Here's what the flipped sensor looks like. Its a little crooked only because I stick a small bit of 3M VHB on the back.

IMG_20160925_124157s.jpg IMG_20160925_124207s.jpg

The paint may be metallic. See my notes here

GPS question

After testing for a couple of days like this
IMG_20160904_234206.jpg

I put it in a right upper corner of my windshield where there is no black paint. So far it's OK. Not supper fast but almost always locks under two minutes which is acceptable to me.
IMG_20160925_130503.jpg

Hey @jokiin what are you using for GPS backup. Is it a button cell battery or capacitor? I know it looks like a battery but I've come across modules that use a small capacitor that looks just like a battery.
IMG_20160925_124157s.jpg

Hey @jokiin what are you using for GPS backup. Is it a button cell battery or capacitor? I know it looks like a battery but I've come across modules that use a small capacitor that looks just like a battery.
View attachment 26357

It's so called "RTC" ( real time clock ) a.k.a. CMOS button battery.

I know it usually is a battery. I was wondering about this specific module.

@hansmoman I can send you a replacement GPS logger to test/compare if needed. I'll even pre-flip it. Private message, Facebook message or email me your original order number, name, shipping address, and email.

GPS loggers generally have a RTC button to cache the GPS data for warm vs cold re-locks.

Thanks @Street Guardian USA, and I will see about trying a replacement and also sticking it in a few different places to compare. Funny thing is the GPS in my phone seems to work just fine any which way, anywhere in car. I usually stick it in the cup holder. Maybe that paint is the problem.

bqWYZ6t.jpg

There is definitely something funky going on with these modules. I've got three cameras and A119 is always the fastest.
I also never had any problems with my phone's or ten year old Garmin.

New Short Pre-flipped GPS module on the way:

aglCjSZ.png

There is definitely something funky going on with these modules. I've got three cameras and A119 is always the fastest.
I also never had any problems with my phone's or ten year old Garmin.

Phones use A-GPS so never a good benchmark as the technology is different

New Short Pre-flipped GPS module on the way:

aglCjSZ.png
Hi. I'm a brand new member & am just about set to order a SG9665GC V3 from Amazon. As of this date, July 21, 2017, will the GPS already be flipped for window mount? Would I still be able to just place it on the dash as long as the tape side is up or does it matter? Also, I am almost tempted to wait until the SG9663DC comes out since it has the rear camera. Any idea when it will be available? Pricing ? Hopefully the Texas summer heat won't be too much of a problem for either. I can always just take it off the mount when not driving I guess. Thanks

Hi. I'm a brand new member & am just about set to order a SG9665GC V3 from Amazon. As of this date, July 21, 2017, will the GPS already be flipped for window mount? Would I still be able to just place it on the dash as long as the tape side is up or does it matter? Also, I am almost tempted to wait until the SG9663DC comes out since it has the rear camera. Any idea when it will be available? Pricing ? Hopefully the Texas summer heat won't be too much of a problem for either. I can always just take it off the mount when not driving I guess. Thanks

GPS will be a short cable pre-flipped edition. (for corner window mounting) It won't be long enough to reach the dash any more. I do have some of the old long GPS non-flipped versions if you need one. Order the non Amazon Prime/FBA listing that we ship direct from Nevada and I'll change out the GPS Antenna for you. (let me know your order number via private message)

DC isn't shipping yet but soon. Latest update here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...3dc-dc-dual-channel.28206/page-52#post-349505

I'm on the other side of the spectrum with this gps. I recently temporarily moved the GC to be my front cam(an experiment for now) and didn't want to "mount" the gps anywhere. I ended up just tucking it up between the headliner and the roof of the car and hoping, but not really expecting it to work. It's completely hidden, didn't think it would even get a signal, but it does. Once the car is pulled out of the garage, it finds a signal pretty quick, maybe 30 seconds, AND it's amazingly accurate, even at high speeds. Color me impressed.

Back