SG9665GC - Got my GPS signal only after 4m20s?

D23

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Hi guys,
I'm using the SG9665GC V2 and I've found out that the GPS signal only show up 4minutes after starting the engine. It's that normal?
I've heard that the 9665GC 's GPS chip is better than others but 4mins seems too slow for me?
I'm now putting my GPS in the A-pillar since I have 3m windows film on my windshield which I believe, affect the GPS signal. However, i'm not sure about that.
So, should I stick it on my dash or directly on my windshield? which is better, A-pillar, dashboard or windshield?

if the tint has a metallic or reflective coating it will affect the signal
ah ok, looks like my windshield doesn't have any reflection or metallic effect

It usually takes me 1-2mins to get lock on a cold start, and on a warm start, its pretty much instant.

If you want a quicker lock signal the gps unit needs to be facing the correct direction and away from other electronics (like a Garmin GPS).

You need to check if GPS unit has been pre-flipped. I believe the newer units come with a shorter cable and pre flipped.

It usually takes me 1-2mins to get lock on a cold start, and on a warm start, its pretty much instant.

If you want a quicker lock signal the gps unit needs to be facing the correct direction and away from other electronics (like a Garmin GPS).

You need to check if GPS unit has been pre-flipped. I believe the newer units come with a shorter cable and pre flipped.
tks. I think mine is not pre-flipped but I'm gonna do it myself and attach it to the windshield. The a-pillar may affecte my GPS signal

ah ok, looks like my windshield doesn't have any reflection or metallic effect
To be clear it's not about a visible "effect" but rather the materials that go into coatings and tints. Some Mercedes, for example, come with a nearly transparent metallic tint integrated into the windshield that helps cut UV rays. But it plays hell with things like GPS receivers and radar detectors.

If anyone ever offers you metallic tint for your windows or windshield, stay away. Most ceramic tint is fine, though.

To be clear it's not about a visible "effect" but rather the materials that go into coatings and tints. Some Mercedes, for example, come with a nearly transparent metallic tint integrated into the windshield that helps cut UV rays. But it plays hell with things like GPS receivers and radar detectors.

If anyone ever offers you metallic tint for your windows or windshield, stay away. Most ceramic tint is fine, though.
Nice!!!
i think i'm gonna contact my tint's seller...

trying to flip that GPS over... but fail
black wire cut off.
Finding new GPS now
:((((

Attachments

• IMG_20161222_135058.jpg
    IMG_20161222_135058.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 19
For anyone that surfed on in wondering what's up, here is a good thread about the two GPS types out there. (Long non-flipped, and Short pre-flipped)
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/what-is-the-basics-of-setting-up-the-gps-unit.21615/
(see photos/video)
Updated:..
After fixing all the wires and flip over the chip, I've attached the GPS device to the windshield and somehow, the GPS signal show up after 1.5 min, instead of 4 min when I put it in the A-Pillar
Much better!!!
tk you all

In my country, 99% car has metallic tint on windshield. The sun ray is very strong, if only nake winshield, your arm will be burn very quickly if you wear t-shirt when driving.
It's important reason i give up to selling mini series which have GPS built in. Too many complain from customers: why their dashcam cant catch GPS signal. :)

I live in south Texas, so I'm familiar with sun :)

3M has whole lines of crystalline and ceramic tints that have extremely good heat rejection (better than metallic) and don't interfere with signals. Hopefully that catches on more in Vietnam!

Bad news:
The camera didn't recognize the GPS device. It said "No GPS" until I disconnect and reconnect the GPS cord.
Did I broke the GPS cord or something?

Bad news:
The camera didn't recognize the GPS device. It said "No GPS" until I disconnect and reconnect the GPS cord.
Did I broke the GPS cord or something?
If its works now after reconnecting then probably it was not inserted correctly on the first place.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

If its works now after reconnecting then probably it was not inserted correctly on the first place.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk
It works after I reconnected it but the next time I start the car, that "no GPS" show up again. So I have to reconnect it to make it work again :((

Did you solder the black wire back on? (if its supposed to be connected)

Also check the connector is pushed in all the way. TRS connectors are notchy.

It works after I reconnected it but the next time I start the car, that "no GPS" show up again. So I have to reconnect it to make it work again :((

make sure the plug is fully seated

also only plug and unplug cables while the camera is off the bracket, if you try and do it while it is on you can damage the socket

Just as an aside on window tint, here's a couple links that may help:

PDF: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1279914O/3m-scotchshield-crystalline-security-series-brochure.pdf

3M Malaysia seems to be a big source of info for some reason: http://solutions.3m.com.my/wps/port...oducts/SolarSafetyRange/Crystalline_Security/

I'm not sure what version that is in the video on that Malaysian page (skip to the end), but the video is all jacked up and requires Flash, which sucks. But it's still interesting, and I managed to figure out how to get a link that works: http://link.brightcove.com/services...OCqmSTjcAvYXbfTMSKZP-GXKq&bctid=2778626175001

This is a better demonstration:

Last edited:
Back