Dashcam option for fleet cars

RedBeard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, new here and got a question.
I work for a company that has 250+ cars that are rented. We've had many problems with vehicles being stolen, hit and runs, and other problems. Does anyone know of a dashcam system, that shows out the front (for accidents), and the interior of the car? The unit would have to be secured and vandal proof mounting. Oh, also a way of retrieving the video via cellular signal or cloud. I greatly appreciate any help with this. I've searched the net for the past couple weeks and haven't found quite what we need, except possibly BlackVue?

Howdy ... and welcome to DCT

Wouldn't there be privacy issues with having an internal camera that could spy on those renting these vehicles, especially seeing the Cameras would need to be discrete and hidden from view so that Vandals or Thieves couldn't spot them. I'm not so sure people would be happy with Big Brother being able to continually watch their every move inside the Car.. as well as where they had actually travelled to.

I'm no Legal Eagle ... so no idea really

A GPS tracker underneath the vehicle that could be activated if reported stolen would be handy.
Someone else may be able to shed some light on your situation

Last edited:
You may want to look at one of the systems used in commercial vehicles. Drive Cam, etc. I see other systems in some trucks. They've gotten smaller, but still kind of stick out.
I think they have a smaller system for cars.

I don't think there is any off the shelf dashcam that is tamper proof.

Howdy ... and welcome to DCT

Wouldn't there be privacy issues with having an internal camera that could spy on those renting these vehicles, especially seeing the Cameras would need to be discrete and hidden from view so that Vandals or Thieves couldn't spot them. I'm not so sure people would be happy with Big Brother being able to continually watch their every move inside the Car.. as well as where they had actually travelled to.

I'm no Legal Eagle ... so no idea really

A GPS tracker underneath the vehicle that could be activated if reported stolen would be handy.
Someone else may be able to shed some light on your situation

Thank you!! We're finalizing that issue right now with our lawyers. I know privacy is a major concern, as it should be. However, to utilize the service, folks will have to agree to the use of the cameras for security and safety purposes. I'm not 100% this will fly, but we're losing too much money with people that have found ways around our systems. Thanks for the quick response!

You may want to look at one of the systems used in commercial vehicles. Drive Cam, etc. I see other systems in some trucks. They've gotten smaller, but still kind of stick out.
I think they have a smaller system for cars.

I don't think there is any off the shelf dashcam that is tamper proof.

I saw one somewhere on the net, but can't find it now. The mount used Torx screws, which is better than nothing. Right now I'm looking for every option I can get. I'll look into Drive Cam, and check into fleet systems from some trucking companies. Thank you for the quick response!

Thank you!! We're finalizing that issue right now with our lawyers. I know privacy is a major concern, as it should be. However, to utilize the service, folks will have to agree to the use of the cameras for security and safety purposes. I'm not 100% this will fly, but we're losing too much money with people that have found ways around our systems. Thanks for the quick response!

the same kind of people will screw around with cameras also, no matter how much you lock it up if they don't like it they'll just cover the lens, trucking industry has the same problems with drivers

Generally speaking, consumer grade dashcams aren't tamper-resistant to any great degree. You could probably find a way around that easily enough but altering the cams like that would void your warranties. The commercial-grade cams aren't cheap and with 250 units needed it might be more feasible to just upgrade your insurance to better cover the losses. I recall someone coming across a 'school bus' cam system at a UK 'boot sale' (flea market in US parlance) though it was incomplete. You might find cams like that being sold off as surplus though I wouldn't know where to look for those.

For about a year I have been clamoring for someone to make a cam like you want- a 'Taxi cam"- which covers car front and interior both. Nobody seems to be interested in making such a cam even though the market is huge and waiting :( Let us know if you find a good cam solution so we can recommend it to the many others seeking similar.

EDITED TO ADD: The Vantrue N2 Pro might work for you0 see reviews
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...am-nt96660-ov4689-sony-imx323-infrared.30400/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/vantrue-n2-pro-vantrue.30288/

And welcome to DCT :D

Phil

Last edited:
Hey everyone, new here and got a question.
I work for a company that has 250+ cars that are rented. We've had many problems with vehicles being stolen, hit and runs, and other problems. Does anyone know of a dashcam system, that shows out the front (for accidents), and the interior of the car? The unit would have to be secured and vandal proof mounting. Oh, also a way of retrieving the video via cellular signal or cloud. I greatly appreciate any help with this. I've searched the net for the past couple weeks and haven't found quite what we need, except possibly BlackVue?
@RedBeard If you like,you can contact this Taiwan manufacture FUHO for such wifi/4G dashcam.Or you can click this link for more details http://www.vacron.com/products_mobile_Smart_driving_recorder.html

Last edited:
Back