Dashcam options viofo or vantrue

trckn4life

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am looking at getting one, maybe two cameras for a multiple vehicles. I would prefer one in front and rear. Also possibly for older silverado crew cab. From what I can tell these are good options? I may buy one or two and see how I like them. Thoughts?
Viofo a119v3 or a119 mini2.
Vantrue e1 or e2.
Garmin mini2 or 47, 57 (I like the smallness of the mini2 but feel these may be overpriced).

Vantue has audible commands and looks smaller. But viofo seems to be very popular especially with a119v3. The mini 2 looks pretty new.
How are their apps?

I have an old anker roav c1 that I just put in a different vehicle...will see how it is.
I probably will not use the parking monitoring as they will not have power when it isn't running. Though considering hardworking eventually.

Sorry just realized I posted this in the wrong section but not sure how to move it.

Welcome to the forum trckn4life.

Out of the two brands i prefer the Vantrue APP, but they are still much the same and i will find it a little hard to explain why it is so.
If you are looking for just a front camera i think these days it dont get much better than the mini 2 from Viofo, i am not aware if Vantrue have a similar model also running the " new " 1440p Sony starvis 2 sensor.

I have just finished testing the Vantrue E2 system, which are two 1440p sensors front and rear, but they are the old models from Sony, it have been pretty uneventful testing that system and the only 2 negatives i can say about it is.
1: it do not come with a CPL filter.
2: the mount will cause some vibration on rougher road surfaces, but for streets ( which are all many trucks see ) then its still fine, but for logging your off-road adventure there are better things for that reason.
In the dirt / nature, you probably want to use a action camera, first of all they support better image quality, and they have build in EIS ( Electronic Image Stabilization ), and newer ones horizon leveling though that while it also stabilize, well lets just hope you do not roll your truck.
And much higher bitrates which is why the image quality will be better, in dashcams this is lowered some to not generate too big files - not generate too much heat, and a dashcam is more of a evidence logger so to say.

Similar with the Viofo A229 duo i also beat on ATM, dual 1440p sensors of the older kind, but a more sturdy mount, this have also been a pleasure to run, it have actually been my main camera and so also responsible for running parking guard for 3 hours on the timer after i park my car.

I assume you run a regular truck with a open bed, and not a 18 wheeler.

Dashcamman are already notified with DT MI post ( you do that by putting the @ in front of the user name so it will appear like a link, he then get notified when he log on, same will you be if he move this post )
When you use the @ there also are a autofill feature so you only need to type the first few letters before the username in full pop up and you can then just click it to finish up.

You can also DM a person by Clicking on their username / avartat and then select " start conversation "

Last edited:
@kamkar thank You. Yes I have a crew cab silverado with regular bed in the back. With all the crazy drivers just thinking I should get some cameras to show what happened in case someone else lies about how an accident or something went down. Not really interested in recording offloading but you bring up a valuable point.

Is there much advantage to two separate cameras vs two integrated? Other than if the main dies (when integrated) you are likely replacing both.

Well there is redundancy in if one die the other still go on, but ill argue that is only a half truth, i jumped on dual channel cameras the moment i got the chance back in the day, CUZ i was tired of going to multiple cameras to get the memory card from them.
Though in all fairness back then my addiction was stronger and i pulled footage more often than i do today, also if you dont do that to share idiot drivers on your roads, well then hopefully you only have to pull the memory card to look at the footage every few months.
And you should do that CUZ even now +10 years after i got into this game there are no set and forget system.
It is no problem, well on a PC with the memory card in a card reader, it take me about 5 -10 minutes to look over a full 256 GB memory card.
What i focus on doing that is first and last drive in drive sessions, so first recording should be the back yard i park in, any following stops could be where i shop - my favorite gas station - friends or family's homes.
If you suddenly have something that start / stop in some randon place down a road, well then you might have a problem and you should investigate further.

Keeping in mide that any events on your drive, those will go to the RO folder ( Read Only or other name for the locked event folder ) so they will be missing from the string of clips of course.
I personally use the manual event button to save things, and then i say out loud what triggered me to do so, CUZ when i go for the footage a month later i cant remember why, a big + is some cameras also snap a picture the moment you press the button, that help a lot zeroing into the actual thing, which are some times minor.

I just play enough seconds of each clip i inspect that i can see where it is, i can of course not remember those drives CUZ in my case not driving much, well on a 256 GB memory card i have footage going back 10 - 14 days.
After i have checked my first and last recordings i just pik some radome ones too, and these i might play a bit more of, even if a file is corrupted it is generally all of it, so if you can play the first few seconds the rest should be fine too.

I personally just use a regular software player on my PC, the dedicated dashcam players i do not need, i know / can see where i drive just fine, my sole interest is the video itself and the time/date & speed embedded in the video.

The user Dashmellow are the dashcam in truck expert, thats all he drive living half way up some mountain over there.

The trucks are a little challenging, well at least in regard to the rear camera, some cabins you have a sliding window in the back window in the cabin, and there also is the issue of the bed, it will take up quite a bit of the footage, and if the car behind had a plate in the front to see, well the rear hatch will block that many yards out back, probably so many that when you can see the plate you can not read it as its that far away.
Then again a plate capture are not a must to deduct who is to blame, and after all not all run or are able to run after a alteration.
Of course some dashcam brands provide rear cameras that are waterproof and for mounting all the way on the back of a truck or van, but as you probably know a lot of crud build up there, so i do not consider this a good idea.

Since the dual cameras came about, the faults have gone up as there are now 2 places where a error can happen, but it is rare it is the camera unit itself, but broken cables and to some extend also lose plugs have been seen.
That is why if a user with a erratic behaving 2 channel system come asking for help, the first we ask of him / her is to disconnect the rear camera at the front unit, to see if the front camera alone work just fine.

It is not something that happen a lot, but often enough i have often wondered why i have not seen this problem myself as after all i have been doing 2 channel systems for many years now, and some times well a new system are just " thrown " into my car.
But i assume some are throwing a lot harder than i am :)

Last edited:
Hello, I am looking at getting one, maybe two cameras for a multiple vehicles. I would prefer one in front and rear. Also possibly for older silverado crew cab. From what I can tell these are good options? I may buy one or two and see how I like them. Thoughts?
Viofo a119v3 or a119 mini2.
Vantrue e1 or e2.
Garmin mini2 or 47, 57 (I like the smallness of the mini2 but feel these may be overpriced).

Vantue has audible commands and looks smaller. But viofo seems to be very popular especially with a119v3. The mini 2 looks pretty new.
How are their apps?

I have an old anker roav c1 that I just put in a different vehicle...will see how it is.
I probably will not use the parking monitoring as they will not have power when it isn't running. Though considering hardworking eventually.
If you also drive a lot at night, I thought the A119 V3 and Mini 2 is good choices.
Compared to the other dashcams you listed, the V3 and Mini 2 have good HDR performance at night.

With the built-in 5GHz WiFi, GPS, Starvis 2 Sensor, and a good lens, the Mini 2 is not overpriced.

BTW, VIOFO is re-building the APP.

Vantrue have 2 APPs ATM, seem like their new stuff required a new APP.
Thats also fine as long as you know how it is, even for me with my intense dislike for smartphones and APPs, some times a man just have to man up and do what need to be done.

Vantrue e1
I tested the E1 August 2022.
My opinion of Vantrue based on that experience is they are 1-2 years behind Viofo in product development.
However, that might change in September with the Vantrue S1 Pro.

The A119 Mini 2 is my "best pick" for $112 with free CPL Filter;

BTW, VIOFO is re-building the APP.
Please add a superimposed horizon line in the live view function so we can accurately align the camera lens position to 50% sky 50% road.
Please, please, please. lol

Attachments

• Superimposed Horizon Line .jpg
    Superimposed Horizon Line .jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 10
I used one of those for the first time yesterday, not to line up the camera, i already did that eyeballing it, but rather i dident know what the icon in the Vantrue app was for, so i found out.
It is still a nifty little trick, and should be close to free to implement and maintain.

How does the a129 pro duo compare to the a119v3 or a119 mini 2? I know this has front and rear. Is 1080p decent for rearview?

For now I picked up a vantrue e2 (front and rear) it will go in one of our vehicles soon. Then see how it performs.

Back