Mod to swivel the A119 to driver window?

jlomein

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was recently in a road rage incident where a driver ran to my driver door screaming, and dented my door by kicking it. I'd like to document incidents like this using a swiveling dash cam.

AFAIK the A119 does not swivel horizontally. Are there any ideas for modifying the mount so that it could swivel, while still being solid enough to take steady forward facing video?

The A119 meets almost all my needs except swiveling. (Inexpensive, OK night quality, time lapse parking, capacitors, discreet)

I remember someone modding the a118 (older camera with similar mount/body) using neodymium magnets so it could be moved quickly. Maybe search the a118 forum for that.

Either that or get a different camera like the viofo version of the g1w. No, it's not as stealthy and doesn't have quite as good night quality, but because of the form factor, rotating it is a piece of cake with no custom work necessary.

Sounds like perfect justification for a couple of side cameras.

I think you could try WR1 (Inexpensive, OK night quality, time lapse parking, capacitors, discreet and swiveling):rolleyes:

Maybe buy a A118C for each rear-triangle side window. But actually, I would just get A119 as they have the parking mode so you can leave it running and make the memory card last longer.

I remember someone modding the a118 (older camera with similar mount/body) using neodymium magnets so it could be moved quickly. Maybe search the a118 forum for that.

That might have been me. I made a crude model of a swiveling mechanism using two pieces of cardboard , I think 6 neodymium magnets (three per cardboard piece) and a small bolt and nut (to hold it together). I posted a really crappy video of it. The model worked, but I never made one to mount on the dashcam. I kinda gave up on it since I wasnt confident that I could make something that looked decent.

If I had a 3d printer I could probably do it. HELL! If someone sold two thick square pieces of plastic that had little spots that held the magnets... I'd buy it!

Back