A119 V2 gps mount pins bent, how to bend back to work again?

jimspoon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently noticed that the videos recorded on my A119 v2 were lacking the GPS info that they had before (coordinates, speed), and then I noticed that a "No GPS" message is displayed in the lower right corner of the display soon after bootup. Then I noticed that some of the pins on the mount are bent.

I'm not sure how the mechanism works, but I'm guessing that when I slide the gps down over the mount, it pushes the raised part of these pins down, as indicated in the photo, until they make contact with a pin inside the mount, thus completing the circuit. I'm not sure of that at all. The second pin was particularly bent, seemingly pushed towards the top, and the bottom surface which goes into the hole was rounded. I tried pinching that pin with a needlenose pliers to flatten that bottom surface curve, hoping that it might have a better chance of making contact inside the mount when pushed down. Still I am getting the "No GPS" message.

I may be misunderstanding how this mechanism works, and what I need to do to make contact again. Could somebody advise me about this?

What seems weird to me is, the date-time stamp on the video is still accurate (except the time zone setting is wrong, it's an hour ahead of local standard time). How could the dashcam be getting the correct time, unless it's through the GPS module?

2024.02.01.10.59.14-i_view64.jpg

2024.02.01.11.03.53-i_view64.jpg

Attachments

• 2024.02.01.10.42.35-i_view64.jpg
    2024.02.01.10.42.35-i_view64.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 4
You have to look at the contacts of the second part (camera)

What seems weird to me is, the date-time stamp on the video is still accurate (except the time zone setting is wrong, it's an hour ahead of local standard time). How could the dashcam be getting the correct time, unless it's through the GPS module?
If the camera is setting the correct time your GPS must be functioning ok. Is this happening since you bent the contacts back? Not sure why you don't have GPS signal showing but still be getting the (almost) correct time but it can take awhile to appear after starting up your camera. Sometimes it can take some time to acquire all the satellite signals.

The time zone needs to be set manually for your location in the camera's menu. The GPS has no way of determining your particular time zone as the GPS sets time to UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) which is zero degrees longitude.

You need to set your time zone to however many hours your location is from UTC. Time zones around the world are expressed using positive or negative offsets from UTC, Coordinated Universal Time was formerly called Greenwich Mean Time.

Find your location and time zone on this map and set your camera's time zone to match the number of hours you need to offset for your location. You'll see the adjustments at the bottom of the map. For Texas it should be -6. You will need to do this again to adjust for Daylight Savings Time.

timezones.jpg

Last edited:
You have to look at the contacts of the second part (camera)
Thank you JardaB. The four contacts on the back of the dashcam seem to be completely flat. But I did discover something. I tried pushing the dashcam up against the mount and held it there as I turned on the car. Much to my surprise the "No GPS" message didi not appear, and "0 MPH" appeared in its place. I expected the "0 MPH" message to disappear as soon as I stopped pressing the dashcam up against the mount, but it did not. I don't understand why it didn't disappear. So it seems the dashcam was not snug up against the mount, not sure how I can make it snug.

If the camera is setting the correct time your GPS must be functioning ok. Is this happening since you bent the contacts back? Not sure why you don't have GPS signal showing but still be getting the (almost) correct time but it can take awhile to appear after starting up your camera. Sometimes it can take some time to acquire all the satellite signals.

The time zone needs to be set manually for your location in the camera's menu. The GPS has no way of determining your particular time zone as the GPS sets time to UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) which is zero degrees longitude.
Thank you Dashmellow. Somehow all the videos on my MicroSD card seem to have the correct time stamps, and they were done before I straightened the pins. So it's a puzzle to me why the time was right despite getting the "No GPS" message. Thanks for the info on the time zone setting; I didn't see a "daylight savings time on/off" setting so it seems that whenever we go on/off DST, I will have to change back between UTC-5 (DST) and UTC-6 (standard)? My Garmin GPS displays the appropriate DST/standard local time based on my GPS location, but I guess the A119 v2 doesn't do this?

p.s. I'm new here, haven't found a way to edit a post I've already posted. I read somewhere to click on "Thread Tools" at the upper right next to the Unwatch button, but that button doesn't appear on my PC Chrome browser interface.

I'm new here, haven't found a way to edit a post I've already posted.

It is very easy to edit a post. At the very bottom of all of your posts you will see three words, Report - Edit - Delete.

Simple click on "edit", make your desired changes and then hit "save".

Much to my surprise the "No GPS" message didi not appear, and "0 MPH" appeared in its place. I expected the "0 MPH" message to disappear as soon as I stopped pressing the dashcam up against the mount, but it did not. I don't understand why it didn't disappear

To repeat what I said previously, even if your GPS is making contact and working perfectly it can take 5 or 10 minutes before your GPS unit can make contact with the constellation of satellites and register that it has done so on your screen. This is called a "cold start". Later in the day if you shut your camera off for a period of time the GPS connection will appear quickly because it can retain the data. This is called a "warm start" or a "hot start' depending on how long the camera has been shut off. Leave the camera off overnight and you are back to a "cold start" for the GPS.

It is very easy to edit a post. At the very bottom of all of your posts you will see three words, Report - Edit - Delete.

Simple click on "edit", make your desired changes and then hit "save".

For some reason I don't have the Edit link - just Report Delete:
2024.02.01.12.49.42-chrome.jpg

if the defect is not mechanical, the problem may be caused by oxidized contacts. Often it is enough to "smudge" them with paper, a wooden stick or to coat them with an appropriate contact cleaner.

Back