£309 0806

Maybe he knows there is soon to be a shortage of genuine ones and he doesn't want to sell his remaining stock until the price gets seriously high?

I can’t comment on this specific ebay seller, but once I was looking for one of those car head units that came wit ha 7” screen and GPS, most sellers for the unit I was interested in was around the £250 to £290 price, but I found one selling the same unit for about £600.

I emailed him to ask why his price was more than double what others were selling the same unit for.

the reply I got said something along the lines of: they have run out of this model and instead of taking the add down which would mean re locating it in their eBay inventory when they got new batches in, they kept the add in place but increased the price high enough that no one would order that item, then when it was re stocked, lower the price down to its normal selling price

how true this is I don’t know or ever will know, but its what I was once told

I can’t comment on this specific ebay seller, but once I was looking for one of those car head units that came wit ha 7” screen and GPS, most sellers for the unit I was interested in was around the £250 to £290 price, but I found one selling the same unit for about £600.

I emailed him to ask why his price was more than double what others were selling the same unit for.

the reply I got said something along the lines of: they have run out of this model and instead of taking the add down which would mean re locating it in their eBay inventory when they got new batches in, they kept the add in place but increased the price high enough that no one would order that item, then when it was re stocked, lower the price down to its normal selling price

how true this is I don’t know or ever will know, but its what I was once told

This trick is commonly used on amazon and ebay. I leanred: if price is risen 2x, then he has 1-2 pcs left in stock. If price is risen 10x ( Yes, I have seen 10x higher prices ), then he is out of stock.

This trick is commonly used on amazon and ebay. I leanred: if price is risen 2x, then he has 1-2 pcs left in stock. If price is risen 10x ( Yes, I have seen 10x higher prices ), then he is out of stock.
Exactly. Nothing funny at all.

if you end a listing because you're out of stock you lose people that have bookmarked it, a lot of the regulars on eBay do this to keep their listings active

In this case it says "More than 10 available", not "1 available"...

To be fair there's actually something in their price.

Returning faulty goods to China in bulk is almost impossible now. Therefore the seller has to cover the faulty cost and the cost of a new one which hammers your margin. Whilst it is a pretty high price I genuinely think these prices are going to start to increase from the good sellers as people simply cannot return to China now easily. We just lost about £4000 worth of faulty goods to Chinese customs. So that's £4000 we have to absorb.

Cheers,

Dan

for the most part anyone dealing with China absorbs the warranty costs, sending things back is extremely difficult with the majority of suppliers, many are impossible altogether

So true. It's one of the reasons we will be getting all of our production cameras checked by the manufacturer, independent tester 1, indepedent tester 2, then Emma - Emma will only be a random sample but the other three will be each camera.

Dealing with China for re-sellers is not as cheap as most people think.

one of the things that skews the perception is local market sellers don't QC anything post production so they are working on a lower cost base, never mind taxes, duties, freight etc that an importer has to wear and that's before you even begin to factor in warranty, another cost that they manage to avoid

By coincidence I was watching an item on eBay this week that was on a buy it now for £25.60, yesterday I was about to click on the buy it now button when luckily I spotted the price had changed to £256.00.

So true. It's one of the reasons we will be getting all of our production cameras checked by the manufacturer, independent tester 1, indepedent tester 2, then Emma - Emma will only be a random sample but the other three will be each camera.

Did you look into the cost of UK manufacture?

Did you look into the cost of UK manufacture?

We did - this is still a LOT cheaper. However, we might have found a factory in Germany but I don't want to ruin the supply chain in the Christmas run up but we may change manufacturer in 2016. It's early days still but I always prefer producing in the UK and if not in the UK in the EU where possible. The development is much much much cheaper in China as @jokiin will atest to, but manufacturing costs whilst cheaper in China I don't mind paying a premium for them in the UK to minimize returned units, I just don't want to be paying 20 times the cost.

Cheers,

Dan

are there other locations in the far east that could manufacturer these DVR’s like south Korea, Taiwan or other countries that don’t have issues returning faulty products back? maybe if enough wholesalers/retailers look for manufacturers in other countries the Chinese might get the hint

you need to be doing big numbers to make any impact, if you were doing big numbers then you could get the same sort of pricing built locally anyway (development is still another issue though, far cheaper offshore) the Raspberry Pi which started life being made in China and is now made in the Sony factory in Wales is a good example of that

To be fair there's actually something in their price.

Returning faulty goods to China in bulk is almost impossible now. Therefore the seller has to cover the faulty cost and the cost of a new one which hammers your margin. Whilst it is a pretty high price I genuinely think these prices are going to start to increase from the good sellers as people simply cannot return to China now easily. We just lost about £4000 worth of faulty goods to Chinese customs. So that's £4000 we have to absorb.

Cheers,

Dan

Is this why I'm still waiting for your company to process my return of the faulty mini 0806? It's been over a month and a half since I got an acknowledgement of the receipt of my return, and so far I've opened 2 tickets inquiring about the status of the return. First ticket was closed with no reason given, and second ticket with a response over a week ago that you'll look into it.

It seems that it's just as risky for end users to buy cameras from resellers.

Back