0803 random switch off

SteveJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo.
Had a bit of a hiccup with my 0803 today. Started as normal when the ignition was switched on, but about 3 or 4 minutes later, blue light stopped flashing and came on steady. Then after 20 seconds or so the camera switched off.
Wondered about the mount, but I've done the mod to stiffen it, however to be sure I moved the power lead from the mount(GPS) to the camera.
Started over again, and exactly the same scenario happened once more.
I then went through all the menus to make sure all the settings were ok (SW 20140507V1), especially the loop recording, as I'd wondered if the card was filling up.

I then remembered that I'd recently changed the loop record interval from 5 to 3 minutes, but I hadn't formatted the card, which is what a lot of people have recommended when changing it. I reformatted the card, and during the next 30 minute drive it behaved as normal.

I'll have to keep an eye on it now!

Can it just have been down to a reformatted card?:cool:

Oh! and by the way the card is the one that came with the camera

Changing from 5 to 3 without reformatting could end up with loads of file fragments as it tries to fit new files into recycled spaces they don't fit. If it is a big card then maybe it ran out of space in the file access tables? If reformatting has sorted it then I wouldn't worry. The FAT disk format was designed for disks measured in kilobytes, not many gigabytes!

I hope you're right Nigel, time will tell.

Quick update. Another hours drive today and all behaved as normal.
It certainly looks like the card format was the answer. :)

Back