0806 Bugs

They were both freshly formatted before they went in the camera, initially as FAT32.
Both cards have worked perfectly in my Mobius for the last few months, and are genuine :)
I agree, looks suspiciously like a firmware bug as I can select either card manually. Interestingly, if I manually select card A then switch back to AUTO it continues recording on card A, but doesn't roll over to card B.

That shouldn't be there!

Have you tried resetting to default settings in the menu and also doing a 20 second press of the power button to reset the camera?

PS: when you reconfigure your settings, do it one at a time to see if it is a particular setting that you are using which is causing the issue.

Yes. I have tried that and changing every setting, one at a time, with no result.

Changing the firmware back to original doesn't solve it either unfortunately.

I even eventually tried http://www.mini0806.com/1/post/2015/02/recover-bricked-mini-0806-camera.html
After the driver is installed, this only works (properly detected and "init dram ok" appears) if the "Up" button is pressed and held when the usb cable is connected.
It then failed on verification after flashing, and that random gibberish was still there.

The second time trying this bricked my 0806 (no response from it at all....no leds or screen and comes up as an unknown device).
I'll try to resurrect it when I get home from work today. Hopefully it is just a very flat battery.

Yes. I have tried that and changing every setting, one at a time, with no result.

Changing the firmware back to original doesn't solve it either unfortunately.
Are you saying that even with all default settings and no "stamping" turned on, it still has that gps information written across the image?

The user manual mentions 4 different options for LDWS DETECTION setting: off, low, middle, and high speeds. I'm on FW Jan 28, and I only have on and off options. How about you guys?

Got a raw sample file you can upload?

Unfortunately not at the moment. I re-formatted the micro sd in the vague hope that it might help (without luck).
I'll try to get one and upload today if I can un-brick my 0806.

Are you saying that even with all default settings and no "stamping" turned on, it still has that gps information written across the image?

Yes unfortunately.

Even with the base disconnected and recording a short video, it still had that text.
The only difference was, instead of the gibberish beginning with an "A" and having constantly changing values, it began with a "V" and had a lot of zero values.

I'm guessing that it is in some sort of debug mode for testing the GPS as that is a copy of the GPS info that gets put in the gps log files.

Might be worth contacting @Rayman.Chan to see if there is some sort of hidden switch to turn it on and off, maybe something silly like pressing up and down together within 5 seconds of boot, otherwise you will have to send it back for replacement.

To be honest that text looks more like a subtitle overlay from the playback software rather than something being hardcoded in by the camera.

What playback software are you using as it's looking like you've got subtitle options turned on and it's displaying the GPS metadata - might be worth checking to see if you do have that turned on. I'm guessing maybe VLC, Windows Media Player Classic or Potplayer?

If you're not already using Registrator Viewer from http://www.registratorviewer.com/ is usually a good shout for dashcam footage.

Good point reverend, would explain the shadow effect, I thought it was on the camera screen from what was in the original explanation!

If that is the data stream rather than embedded in the video, I see that altitude is in there with reasonable values, which raises the question - why does Register Viewer not display altitude data? (Unless I should update my RV?)

Reactions: Dez
I have a new 0806 and the only problem I ma having is the first series of .MOV files are good and readable with GPS data. Then at some point, the rest of the files have the QuickTime icon instead of a picture and they will not play. If I look at the files on the camera, these files are tagged as "invalid". I am using 128GB cards with the required specs. Wondering if this is a card issue or camera issue?

I have a new 0806 and the only problem I ma having is the first series of .MOV files are good and readable with GPS data. Then at some point, the rest of the files have the QuickTime icon instead of a picture and they will not play. If I look at the files on the camera, these files are tagged as "invalid". I am using 128GB cards with the required specs. Wondering if this is a card issue or camera issue?
Time to test the cards with h2testw.exe ?

To be honest that text looks more like a subtitle overlay from the playback software rather than something being hardcoded in by the camera.

What playback software are you using as it's looking like you've got subtitle options turned on and it's displaying the GPS metadata - might be worth checking to see if you do have that turned on. I'm guessing maybe VLC, Windows Media Player Classic or Potplayer?

If you're not already using Registrator Viewer from http://www.registratorviewer.com/ is usually a good shout for dashcam footage.

That is a good point.

The metadata appears in VLC and "Videos" (a default video player in Linux Mint). I don't use Windows.
The only thing is that "Videos" has "Load subtitle files when movie is loaded" disabled.
I think it is also disabled by default (or the subtitle file has to be loaded) in VLC.

Registrator Viewer looks good. Thanks for the tip.
I'll try and find a Linux equivalent or try to run it in Wine.

Good point reverend, would explain the shadow effect, I thought it was on the camera screen from what was in the original explanation!

If that is the data stream rather than embedded in the video, I see that altitude is in there with reasonable values, which raises the question - why does Register Viewer not display altitude data? (Unless I should update my RV?)

I didn't realise altitude data was there as well.

I'll try to do something with that when I can un-brick and get my 0806 working properly.

I'm guessing that it is in some sort of debug mode for testing the GPS as that is a copy of the GPS info that gets put in the gps log files.

Might be worth contacting @Rayman.Chan to see if there is some sort of hidden switch to turn it on and off, maybe something silly like pressing up and down together within 5 seconds of boot, otherwise you will have to send it back for replacement.

Hopefully there is a way of turning this off. I'll try to contact @Raymond.Chan.

I also think http://www.mini0806.com/1/post/2015/02/recover-bricked-mini-0806-camera.html should be removed or modified.

It only works when the "Up" button is pressed and held, then USB connected.
Much more importantly, it can brick your 0806 as it has to mine.

I've got no idea if I can fix this.

To be honest it sounds like a switch in your Linux distribution that needs changing.

Have you tried uploading a video to YouTube and then playing that back? It's the easiest way to confirm if it's burned in.

Alternatively just upload a copy of the video file to somewhere like mega.co.nz and other people can try the file.

That font is too high resolution and has too many fancy effects to be burned in by the camera

Alternatively just upload a copy of the video file to somewhere like mega.co.nz and other people can try the file.

That font is too high resolution and has too many fancy effects to be burned in by the camera

that's why I asked to upload a file, it's a subtitle overlay of some sort I would think, not embedded in the file, it's pulling the embedded data that's in the video to create the overlay

The only thing is that "Videos" has "Load subtitle files when movie is loaded" disabled.
I think it is also disabled by default (or the subtitle file has to be loaded) in VLC.
I think that is referring to separate subtitle files, this data will be from a separate data stream within the same file as the video and audio streams, I think you need to find a different setting. Or maybe you can find a video tool to strip the data stream from the file...

If you want easy access to the altitude data then it is in the gps files in the logs folder.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

It does certainly make sense that it is embedded GPS data being shown in the video playback, with the players I use.

I don't think I'll get the opportunity to try playback with the 0806 I have, as it appears to be suffering from the issue some other people here have experienced (heating up when connected to USB and completely dead).

If I get another one, I'll try other video players.
As it stands, I doubt I will pay for another until some further bugs are sorted out, or just get a more reliable DVR from another manufacturer.
It is a second batch 0806.

If I can't get a replacement, I'll perform an autopsy on the dead one I have to hopefully be able to help identify the reason for this current problem.

After upgrading to this firmware version, my recorded videos always have gibberish across the lower part of the screen in a large font.
The text continually flickers and changes values.........and is slowly driving me insane.
Is there any way of getting rid of it, or is it a bug?
I've tried nearly every setting and re-flashing the firmware several times without success.
Yes, that's not from dashcam.
That text is from the video player.
If you are using Potplayer, pressing TAB does that.

If other player, go to preferences and disable file info OSD.

Back