0806 locking up issues

So I got impatient... No response from local distributor still about getting a replacement
So I opened it up and found the LiPO has swollen, going to get a replacement that myself as it could be the cause of my issues

Also discovered where the version number & manufacturing date is hidden

Seems like mine is version 3, dated 5/11/2014

Serious considering, cutting a small hole in the 0806 body and mounting a JST female plug on it, so I can externally mount and connect a RC Plane 1 cell LiPO battery to the mini, eliminating the need to dismantle every time the LiPo fails.

Possibly even externally mounting this LiPO @ 2200mAh

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18558__Turnigy_2200mAh_1S_20C_Lipoly_Single_Cell_.html

This is a common problem with lithium batteries and heat. On my 0803 I finally gave up can modified it for capacitors. If you are already thinking about an external battery you might consider external capacitors instead. I haven't needed to change them yet. :)

This is a common problem with lithium batteries and heat. On my 0803 I finally gave up can modified it for capacitors. If you are already thinking about an external battery you might consider external capacitors instead. I haven't needed to change them yet. :)

Cool. I'd like to see this. Do you have any pictures? How about a link to the capacitor you used? How's you 0803 holding up with the capacitor mod?

Very cool. I wonder if it's even possible to design an internal capacitor version of the mini series with such a small form factor. Is there any other dash cam that's as small as the mini with a capacitor style power system?

Yes, but only if the firmware accommodates the rapid shut down requirement. As it stands, the firmware now requires at least 10-15 seconds of run time after the power is pulled. Super caps, that small, simply don't have that kind of staying power. So, the firmware would have to account for that, and finish the file closure and shut down process in < 1-2 seconds.

I'm on the fence about the whole capacitor issue. I've had plenty of regular caps go bad due to heat. In fact, storing old electronics in the attic is a sure fire way to find a bunch of popped caps. I don't know enough about super caps and whether they're any more tolerant to heat. One thing I do know... LiPo's will fail, but when they do, there's no design too complicated for me to not be able to replace it. My Blackvue cameras lasted at least 5 years before I started having battery issues. Chances are, by the time the batteries fail due to heat/age, I'll be ready to make the jump to the next newest must-have (4k/8k) cameras. That's what happened with this most recent transition.

Chances are, by the time the batteries fail due to heat/age, I'll be ready to make the jump to the next newest must-have (4k/8k) cameras. That's what happened with this most recent transition.

+1 on that brother.

Hopefully, we'll look back on this this thread in 4-5 years, at which time we should both have even cooler toys (maybe even a 360 degree roof cam), and laugh because our Mini 0806 battery concerns were really a non-issue for us. :)

And that is the case with most items involving technology. If you wait just a bit longer for the next better item that's just around the corner (i.e. 0807), you'll never buy. Once you've pulled the trigger, the next piece of advice... Don't look back. You'll kick yourself for not having waited for XXXXX version that's twice as good and half the price.

Well I am super psyched because I finally have all of the parts to setup my timer this weekend. :) I just need to research the Honda internal power saver system a little more.

OT - sorry... But, now the next question... How many 0806 do I need, and where should I put them on this thing?

upload_2015-8-5_22-20-5.png

Get Mrs. RM to go to med school and become RM, MD... That's what I did w/mine and it's paying off handsomely ;)

To the OP - sorry for jacking your thread. We should discuss in our own thread.

RM - here ya go. A new thread just for the RV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. I wonder if it's even possible to design an internal capacitor version of the mini series with such a small form factor. Is there any other dash cam that's as small as the mini with a capacitor style power system?

My initial goal was to make an internal solution but as OP said, that can't be done without a firmware mod. I even looked into figuring out the needed mod to the firmware but couldn't figure it out in the end. However, Rayman.Chan the manufacturer(?) did mention here that he has a Mini 0806 working with a super cap, although it or it's firmware have not been released as far as I know. :(

Personally I will not buy a 0806 or any other camera without a super cap or super cap option, so I'm looking at my options. The Mini 0803 has been working well but the current capacitor configuration has a life time of about 2 1/2-3 days. Any longer and it goes dead. The good news is that it only takes a few minutes (1 file write) to have the GPS lock and update the time & date. It does however revert to default configuration but in my case that's OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll definitely look into the super cap idea :) looks promising

But for now, I plan on mounting a single 5000mAh Lipo cell on a long lead so it can be stored out of direct sunlight and in a LiPO explosion proof bag.
Just hope the internal 0806 battery charging circuit is good enough to charge and not overvolt passed 4.2v on my new LiPO

Finally got round to soldering a JST connector to my 0806, for external LiPO mounting.

The smaller LiPO in the picture is the original
Now I am free to extend the cable and put the external battery out of the sun.
Also my locking up issues have gone away since doing this mod, I think the dead LiPo may have been dragging the voltage down and browning the 0806 out.
Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 7.03.39 PM.png

Back