0806 locking up issues

Shanetrain

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Mini 0806, Mini 0801, MiVue 588, Sunty A7
Hi Guys
Pretty close to giving up on my 0806, to many issues.
The current unit is a replacement for the one I had with the same issues with earlier.
It seems that the unit wants too lockup and stop recording and responding to button presses until I hold the power to reset it, I leave the 0806 constantly powered and daily I need to reset it.

Given that it is freezing cold where I am in Australia currently, I have ruled out that it is a overheating issue.
Also I got this replacement camera around the start of winter, yet the internal LIPO has already died and will not hold a charge.

I have tried all firmwares available, even nigel's custom fw to see if that makes a difference and been through most of the resolutions and various A-B micro combination yet it still does the same thing.

I think this camera is 2nd or 3rd batch, not sure..?? cant seem to find a serial number or identification on the unit

Sent an email to the local Australian distributor who helped me out with the replacement... still no reply from him??

I can see this camera getting stuffed away in the draw with all my other dash cams that have failed, never to see the light of day as I just cannot trust it anymore.

Just thought I would share.

Yea, I have tried the factory reset also, I think it's a hardware fault the same as the last one I owned

That's disappointing. Something really needs to be done about these ongoing quality control issues. :(

That's disappointing. Something really needs to be done about these ongoing quality control issues. :(

100% Agree, The 0806 can record in a higher def than most cams and is packed with features, but all of that is meaningless if it fails to record the moment you actually need it too.

I just want a mini 0806 that works and that I can trust.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but have you tried different µSD cards? Since you say you leave it on constantly, that really stresses them. I just installed 8 of these in my two vehicles, and due to the newness (and desire to test them to no end), I've been pulling the cards at least once a day.

Each time, I can't get over how hot the card are. I mean BURNING hot. Because they lack any mass, they cool off instantly in my fingers, but those electrons getting shuffled around inside the card must really be generating some heat.

I'm not trying to make excuses - but clearly I have a vested interest in making sure the 0806 was a good purchase. Remember, Sandisk offers a lifetime/10yr warranty on their cards, but they explicitly exclude warranty coverage if used in dash cameras. And, most users don't have them running continuously.

I would think that perhaps you're reaching the max write duty-cycle for your cards - especially if they're not genuine or high-quality. If you haven't tried it already, put in a new, quality (verified) card to see if there is any change in the frequency of the lockups.

I have a few different brands of SD and various classes, nothing seems to make a change.
I'm currently I run 32gig Sandisk class 10 X2 in A-B microSD slots
All my SD have been store bought and passed the H2testw test

Yes I have noticed that most of my SD gets quite warm in the camera, think it is normal for the SD to produce a bit of heat

Ugh. That's too bad. Was hoping it was something rather simple. I feel for you and wish there was something I could suggest that works...

erkme73, what Micro SD card are you using in your (8) mini 0806's?

BTW, in terms of reliability, I think your two quad-cam setups will definitely be the DashCamTalk test bed for the mini 0806. So far, it sounds like you got a pretty good batch. May I ask where you purchased your dash cams and what version of the 0806 you think they are?

I don't want to hijack Shanetrain's thread - but for quick reference this is the seller's link. Given that I bought 8, he discounted it to $101 each, including the CPL, and shipped with DHL for free. I'm using these Sandisk cards from Newegg. He said they were the "latest/newest generation". But I'm sure he'd have said that if it was old stock. Is there a way to verify?

Wonder what version the camera are up to now? 4th???
Seems like pre-production through to version2 all had some issues, hopefully all the issues are ironed out

Wonder what version the camera are up to now? 4th???
Seems like pre-production through to version2 all had some issues, hopefully all the issues are ironed out

The latest version is 3, according to the Spytec sales rep I spoke with last week.

The latest version is 3, according to the Spytec sales rep I spoke with last week.

I guess the real question is, how does one differentiate between the three generations of the 0806? Is there a Rev # somewhere on the circuit board? It would be nice to have a concrete way for users to verify what version they have when they report troubles.

So I got impatient... No response from local distributor still about getting a replacement
So I opened it up and found the LiPO has swollen, going to get a replacement that myself as it could be the cause of my issues

Also discovered where the version number & manufacturing date is hidden

Seems like mine is version 3, dated 5/11/2014

Serious considering, cutting a small hole in the 0806 body and mounting a JST female plug on it, so I can externally mount and connect a RC Plane 1 cell LiPO battery to the mini, eliminating the need to dismantle every time the LiPo fails.

Possibly even externally mounting this LiPO @ 2200mAh

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18558__Turnigy_2200mAh_1S_20C_Lipoly_Single_Cell_.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 4.19.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 4.19.41 PM.png
    856.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Happy to hear you found the source of your problem. But I am disappointed to hear about ongoing battery issues. Maybe it was just a bad batch.

Short of the unit just failing completely, I wonder if there's any tell tale signs that a Mini 0806 battery is starting to go bad?

Shane, you peaked my curiosity on the version number on your board. So, I just disassembled on of my spare 0806 and found this:

upload_2015-8-5_9-22-56.png

Unless the revo number goes DOWN with newer versions, something really doesn't make sense. Your board (Nov. 5th, 2014) looks to be newer than mine (Feb 5th, 2014), yet my vero number is higher.

Shane, you peaked my curiosity on the version number on your board. So, I just disassembled on of my spare 0806 and found this:

I'm sorry, did I read this correctly? Are you saying you have (9) Mini 0806's? :)

Yes, was there a limit to how many one person can have? I bought one as a trial from Amazon with Prime about a week before I bough the other 8. I need one for my RV anyway.

Back