0906 disassembly

Capacitor can fail. Perhaps this can sometimes be detected by external examination - in some places the condenser swells

I have read this topic and I have seen that you had a problems with lens in your test units. (around page 3)
Mine mini 0906 lens also broke recently after almost 2 years of use. I would like to replace it but I don't know where to order compatible lens.
Does anyone of you have spare lens to sell?
Do you know where I could get one?

Here is a picture from my camera (already posted in different topic where I learned that it is probably lens issue)
cameraBroken.png

I have read this topic and I have seen that you had a problems with lens in your test units. (around page 3)
Mine mini 0906 lens also broke recently after almost 2 years of use. I would like to replace it but I don't know where to order compatible lens.

Here is a picture from my camera (already posted in different topic where I learned that it is probably lens issue)
View attachment 53771
I haven't seen the other thread but have you disassembled the camera? You can manually adjust the focus, maybe thats all thats needed.

Unfortunately I cant provide any spare parts, I just recycled mine a few weeks ago. I even had the old lense still lying around.

Hehe unlucky me, I haven't disassembled it yet but I saw .doc with steps from manufacturer. I was hoping to get first new lens :D

To fix the blur you just have to manually adjust the lens. But regarding the IR issue I dont know.

View attachment 53771

I have exactly the same picture on my dashcam (meaning blur and half red diagonally).

Comforting to find out I'm not the only one and maybe there is a fix or the way to get new lens.

Last edited:
So far I haven't found the replacement lens, There are some lenses available on aliexpress when I search for "IMX290 lens" but I have no idea if those will be compatible...
I will let you know if I find some solution!

I see people saying about manually adjust lens focus.

Anybody can be more specific?

If you get a new lens, you will still need to focus it. Focusing only requires rotating the lens, as in a DSLR camera, with the added issue that it will be glued in place to prevent it losing focus, and will need to be released from the glue before adjustment.

Focusing is not going to solve the problem with the pink though. If you open it up and unscrew the lens fully then you will be able to see the IR filter which I suspect has fallen off the lens...

If you get a new lens, you will still need to focus it. Focusing only requires rotating the lens, as in a DSLR camera, with the added issue that it will be glued in place to prevent it losing focus, and will need to be released from the glue before adjustment.

Focusing is not going to solve the problem with the pink though. If you open it up and unscrew the lens fully then you will be able to see the IR filter which I suspect has fallen off the lens...

Thanks for replying.

Well ,from what I see it's not worth my time and money to play around with it even though I have strong background in electronic (started as hobby many years ago when I was 11 year old).

I don't know where people getting those replacement lenses.

Maybe if I had one I would play around with it out of boredom. Then again to focus it somehow and glue it. My eyes not that good anymore and how do you monitor this focusing ? Dashcam should be on to do that.

As I said not worth it. I will spend less time to do new wiring for back and front in the car after getting reliable replacement than trying to fix this flawed dashcam and not knowing if it not going to fail again.

Replacing wiring is not ideal but yes the quality is quite disappointing :(

Interesting how the lens which according to members posting here get "unfocused", blurry if it was glued and even if heat made adhesive soft nobody was touched it ?

No physical contact with lens to be moved/turned or whatever.

And now I would have to unglue, focus it by turning and glue again.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Doesn't make any sense to me.
Nor me!

Until someone takes one apart to see what has happened we will not know.

The focus issue may just be that the IR filter is out of position and at an angle to the sensor. The lens will not focus the IR light anyway, so the pink bit being out of focus is not surprising. So replacing the IR filter in the correct place may solve the problem, fitting a new IR filter may also solve the problem, and replacing the lens complete with new IR filter may solve the problem, but just focusing the lens seems unlikely to help, and I would advise not doing so with the IR filter apparently fallen off since rotating the lens may cause the IR filter to scratch the sensor.

I think you are right Nigel, I will try to disassemble it when I will have some time but ideally I would like to do it only when I manage to get lens replacement because I really doubt I will manage to glue this filter back correctly.

Nor me!

Until someone takes one apart to see what has happened we will not know.

The focus issue may just be that the IR filter is out of position and at an angle to the sensor. The lens will not focus the IR light anyway, so the pink bit being out of focus is not surprising. So replacing the IR filter in the correct place may solve the problem, fitting a new IR filter may also solve the problem, and replacing the lens complete with new IR filter may solve the problem, but just focusing the lens seems unlikely to help, and I would advise not doing so with the IR filter apparently fallen off since rotating the lens may cause the IR filter to scratch the sensor.

Make sense to you. Great.

Just tell me why that glued IR filter got out of position?

It's not a moving part in some sort of machinery.

Anyway, not getting into some kind of pissing match.

It is what it is and result is obvious.

It's not a moving part in some sort of machinery.
It does move through thermal expansion, not quite as simple as it looks at first sight.

I think you are right Nigel, I will try to disassemble it when I will have some time but ideally I would like to do it only when I manage to get lens replacement because I really doubt I will manage to glue this filter back correctly.
On other lenses, people have used "UV curing" glue to attach IR cut filters and it seems an easy process. Few glues are suitable here because of out-gassing during curing (drying) time which coats the lens elements and ruins them. If this is only the IR cut filter coming loose, the fix will be cheap and easy, buy if the glass has moved a new lens will be needed.

Once the cam is apart, focusing should be easy. Use a sharp tool and carefully pick away the locking compound at the threads. Before going further use two dots of paint there so that you can put the lens back exactly. Hold the lens holder, then unscrew the lens from it. If the lens is really tight, you can pull the lens holder loose if you only hold the PCB and not the lens holder. Once you're finished and reassembled back to where you started with those paint dots aligned, rotate the lens a mm or so and check the focus; keep at it till you've got the best you can. Now go outdoors or through a very clean window and focus again in a detailed object about 10m in the distance. Once that is as good as you can get it, use another tiny bit of the UV-cure glue to keep the lens from moving, Reassemble the cam and you're set.

Some cams like to shift focus when they get really hot, and of those you might want to skip the lens thread gluing until you try the cam in the car and adjust for the best cold/hot compromise setting.

Unless you can source a lens from the manufacturer, it's trial and error buying a replacement unless you can find someone who has done it already. If you do buy an aftermarket lens be sure to specify that you want an IR cut filter installed, as many of the lenses you can buy don't have one. Lots of good lens knowledge on the Mobius varifocal and Mobius telephoto threads on this forum which will help you understand things better.

Phil

I disassembled the camera and you were right UV filter unglued from one side.
Unfortunately I don't have UV curing glue, Do you think using super glue is very bad idea or it could work?
I contacted manufacturer and they don't know what glue is used because they get whole lens assembly but they can offer replacement lens so not too bad if I screw up.
Here are pictures of UV filter in my lens:
20201029_111844.jpg20201029_111933.jpg

Back