1.007 firmware update breaks front camera

I’ve been trying to get back to 1.005 but I keep getting this on my laptop

Attachments

• C5223822-7D70-4C1B-A907-359A02D0E864.png
    C5223822-7D70-4C1B-A907-359A02D0E864.png
    736.1 KB · Views: 17
Just download it. Don't try to open it.

I’m pulling my hair out!
I’m not very computer savvy, does my micro card need to be a;ready plugged in?
I can see the zip files on the bottom of the screen... then what ???

Bottom right. 'View downloads' or similar.
Click 'View in folder'
Unzip the contents.

Sounds like you have downloaded it since it seems like you're saying you see _____v1.005_eng.zip
You should be able to click on that and unzip the file, which should open a folder with blackvue files in it. (You might want to click view in finder first, as suggested above - just makes it easier to know where the file was saved)

Plug your SD card in (you should probably always format the card first before you upgrade the firmware)
Not sure what size of card you have but you can try to open the PC app, BlackVue Viewer.
(You should have saved any recordings you have on the SD card to your computer by this point)

Click the SD card format button on BlackVue Viewer (near the top right, looks like a micro sd card with 2 circling arrows on it)
(you could right click on your SD card to format it as well, sd cards 64GB and up may need some help from a 3rd party application)

Now that it's formatted you can copy the "BlackVue" folder that you recently unzipped from the firmware you downloaded and copy it onto your SD card, replacing any current "BlackVue" folder that may be on the sd card (though since you formatted the card, there should be nada on it)

Plug the SD card with the new (old, in this case) firmware back into your dashcam and power it up.
The camera will apply the update and you should hear a prompt when it's done. It'll reset once it's done.

Thanks for all your help so far I’m getting there slowly

All fixed, maybe?

Available now for download.

Version 1.007 (early 1.007 brightness issue fixed*):

The download for the multilanguage 1CH version via webpage is not available yet (when i choose the download link, there is only an emtpy text file with the name "download-not-available.txt").... but the version 1.007 is available throug the iOS app ... The 2CH version is fine on the webpage ...

I updated it a moment ago and it seems to be OK...

What exactly does (a working version of) v1.007 bring to the party?
Being a person of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought, I'll just stick to 1.005 that seems to be running OK on my 750 2CH unless it fixes a fault that I'm not aware of or adds a "must have" for me.

Then why not just revert to 1.005? What was 1.006 supposed to "bring to the party" then?

1.007 records a proxy of the video in a lower resolution. It's supposed to increase performance when using the cloud feature (less stuttering and waiting for your video file to load). Personally, I get better results with an Android app called Viewer for Blackvue. It is striking to see an app made by an enthousiast netting significant better streaming results than the original.

As I'm not in the slightest interested in 'the cloud' and I don't want my SD card cluttered up with low res proxies, my best bet is not to update and risk BV breaking something as they seem prone to doing. Can you turn off this 'facility'?

It is able to connect to the dashcam if it lives on the same network. I use a VPN connection if it's not. That provides the features of a cloud connected camera without continually being confronted with the downright poor performance of the Blackvue servers and original app.

I have downloaded and installed NEW fw v1.007. So far so good. The distorted front cam is back to normal.

WIFI/Live View, Front/Rear cam OK.

Cloud/Live View, Front/Rear cam OK.

Recorded files Front/Rear cam OK.

Sub-Stream capability OK.

Sub-Stream capability is a nice addon! They call the Quick play file for low res, to me it seems like good quality, and no buffering for me when viewing. Good.

One thing though, don’t understand what the Cancel button in the popup does, the chosen quality of streaming is executed and loaded and viewed regardless if you choose Ok or Cancel, unless you don’t tick “Don’t show again”. Then you won’t see that popup again. No big deal though!

Back