128GB cards

evlo

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
I found some threads where people claim that 128gb card works form them, but in my a118c, with latest (i guess) firmware it just say cardError or Memory error. I tried formating it exFat with 32768 sectors (suggested somewhere on this forum) and also format it in the camera, but still same error.

Oh and my card is Chinese one, but with real capacity - Mixza tohaoll, but i'm not sure if it can be an issue as i guess card is just a card.

I would try to format it as 64Gb and see if it works. If it works, your dashcam doesn't support 128 Gb if it doesn't I'd - format it to 32Gb. If dashcam can't see it as 32 Gb then it's probably bad card.

Hello everyone!;) I would like to share my experience (sorry for my English!;)
I bought 128GB Kingston SDXC card (model SDC10G2). It cost 43 USD, so it near doubled the cost of entire set (a118c cost 51 USD on Gearbest, hardwire elements, etc..), and i do not know for what exactly I need card this big;)
Of course it was useless after purchase, because of the exFat file system. In addition I have seen there is 16MB of unallocated space before partition.
So first i want to format it in Windows (right click on device on My Computer, then format...), but built-in formatter support only NTSC and exFat filesystem on big drives. So i installed some kind of external app and format my card. Unfortunately it does not work (both 32 and 64k sectors), device says "memory error" "card error", "card full", and flicker.. So i try Linux and formated card with command i have seen on other thread (sudo mkfs.vfat -s 64 /dev/sdb1) and... also does not work. So finally i connected my card via dashcam as "mass storage" (earlier I used card reader, smartphone, and other camera as card-reader), and formated it with "good old" Gparted - also unsuccessfully! In the end, desperate, i deleted partition (so entire drive was unallocated), then make new FAT32 partition via Gparted (without changing any sectors and clusters - I leave values default, entire space allocated), and viola! It works!:)

I would try to format it as 64Gb
I have gotten a 64GB card to work in a G1W (similar hardware) using SmarkDisk FAT32

I can confirm that my ADATA 128GB UHS-I Class 10 MicroSDXC works with the A118C. It was formatted with FAT 32 Formatter in Windows 7. I tried formatting inside the A118C, but it did not work (I didn't get a "Card Error" message, but the time available was 0:00:00 after format).

After formatting with the FAT 32 Formatter tool, the A118C confirmed 17 hours and 14 minutes of total recording time available! I am now letting it run overnight to see if it will loop-over properly after the card is completely full.

Firmware: March 16, 2016 from VIOFO (download here: https://dashcamtalk.com/b40-a118/)
Hardware: I bought my A118C from www.gearbest.com

UPDATE: Yes, it works! I had it recording continuously for over 18 hours to completely fill the 128GB card, and it loop-over properly (erasing the oldest clips). Also, I tested the "emergency" button and it also correctly saved the file in a separate RO folder.

128GB-FAT32.png
A118C 17+Hours.png
ADATA 128GB.png

Last edited:
128gb I haven't tried, but been using 64gb also from Sandisk Ultra, Samsung Evo, and Lexar 300x, all seems to be working fine and I assume bigger storage variant should also work as long as it's formatted correctly.

128gb I haven't tried, but been using 64gb also from Sandisk Ultra, Samsung Evo, and Lexar 300x, all seems to be working fine and I assume bigger storage variant should also work as long as it's formatted correctly.
Sandisk has never worked for me on 64gb

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

very interesting info here, thanks for the info

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Edward M. Grant A118 (B40) 12
SirDomino A118 (B40) 3
robertk328 A118 (B40) 71
Back