1920x800/540 video mode?

I think as an edit it's a nice way to present it, but I'd still want the detail from the full frame videos which could easily be missed when the crop is hard coded
The detail is the same, only difference is that the top and bottom are chopped off, and you can optionally use some of the saved bitrate to improve the image quality. It's just a question of how much height is needed/useful, there is nothing magic about 1080 that makes it the correct figure, especially if you don't have a 1920 wide sensor.

The detail is the same

talking about a crop, not a compressed output, if you edit a 540 line crop out of a 1080 original in post production you still have the original detail if needed, in the hardcoded version only 540 lines were recorded to begin with, you don't have what was outside the area of that hard coded crop, sensors used were native 1920 x 1080

Two 1920x540 in-cam crops merged into one 1920x1080. Shot with a pair of identical NT96650+IMX323 cams with different non-stock lenses: one with a fisheye lens and another with a narrow FOV low-distortion lens. Firmwares were tweaked to get more bright image from the 1st cam and less motion blur from the 2nd one.

PS: Yes, I know the hood is not visible, but it's ok for me.

What we need is an option in the settings menu that we can customise to the vehicle.

Hear here! (y) I don't know how easily it could be done in-cam but it would eliminate vertical FOV issues for most folks; especially those stuck choosing too much dash or too much sky. With the fast-sloped front of my minivan I can barely get what I want and I sometimes lost the higher/closer traffic signals, but the same cams in my big van work fine.

Phil

Yes, I've thought about that and you make a good point, but of course, with such a narrow vertical FOV you risk losing the capture of certain traffic signals and signage (and giant meteors falling from the sky :smuggrin:). My view is that as appealing as these wide captures may be there will always be a compromise of some kind. I do like the idea of using two cameras with two fields of view though.
Well, I installed my new full frame dashcam thinking it would show me the colour of those traffic lights every time I stop at them, not exactly a success! Think I'd go back to 32:9, except this dashcam doesn't support it:

we were offered a solution previously that did similar but it was 1920 x 540 front and rear and the output was muxed into a 1920 x 1080 file so you got front and rear view in the one file at the same time
What was the hardware platform? NT96663?

Well, I installed my new full frame dashcam thinking it would show me the colour of those traffic lights every time I stop at them, not exactly a success! Think I'd go back to 32:9, except this dashcam doesn't support it:

Well, at least you're all set to capture the next giant meteor that falls from the sky!

Meanwhile, I found the perfect monitor for your maximum enjoyment of those 32:9 dash cam videos. :)

Last edited:
I'm planning to swap the 2nd cam's lens to something wider and brighter like these: 4mm F1.2 or 4mm F1.5. It should add 1.5/1.3 "steps of light" comparing to my current F2.8 lens. This can be helpful to reduce the exposure time in order to get even less motion blur in low light.

I'm planning to swap the 2nd cam's lens to something wider and brighter like these: 4mm F1.2 or 4mm F1.5. It should add 1.5/1.3 "steps of light" comparing to my current F2.8 lens. This can be helpful to reduce the exposure time in order to get even less motion blur in low light.

I woud like to see a slightly narrower secondary lens along with the wider brighter lens. My experience with the telephoto zoom makes me appreciate the value of having extra magnification for the second camera.

Well, at least you're all set to capture the next giant meteor that falls from the sky!

Meanwhile, I found the perfect monitor for your maximum enjoyment of those 32:9 dash cam videos. :)

View attachment 45364
Excellent monitor for cinematic viewing, and the right resolution for the camera, however for normal dashcam use I do quite like to see the rear view simultaneously and it doesn't have space for that... maybe I need two for front and rear? Or just use a standard 16:9 monitor...

Excellent monitor for cinematic viewing, and the right resolution for the camera, however for normal dashcam use I do quite like to see the rear view simultaneously and it doesn't have space for that... maybe I need two for front and rear? Or just use a standard 16:9 monitor...

Two 32:9 monitors, definitely! :joyful:

My experience with the telephoto zoom makes me appreciate the value of having extra magnification for the second camera.
I've got a couple of cheap 2.8-12mm zoom lenses and I'm not impressed with the image quality at all.

Some of us did a lot of experimenting with fast 4mm ƒ/1.2 lenses (and similar). These fast lenses were indeed very effective but they were difficult to focus and use because the depth of field is quite shallow.

There's a thread about those lenses that may interest you. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/original-mobius-night-recording-with-4mm-f1-2-lens.31145/

Last edited:
185° fisheye lens + 90° 2.8-12mm lens.

105° default lens.

I think this combination of lenses makes for much better dash cam documentation and provides more of the benefit of both a wide and telephoto lens. You get good license plate capture and traffic signal/signage and sky coverage.
This combination of lenses makes the double 1920x540 crop in one frame seem more practical and appealing to me.

Nine months ago, I talked about how we now have viable high resolution dual channel remote lens dash cameras on the market and it would be relatively easy to build a dual channel dash cam with two front facing lenses of different focal lengths, one wide and one telephoto.

"Now that we have viable high quality dual channel dash cams, the chipset technology already exists to build a dual focal length front facing dash cam. All that needs to happen is to get rid of the cable and relocate the remote cam module to the front camera housing and engineer the best telephoto into it. Or it could be a base cam with a short cabled front facing telephoto with flexible positioning and aiming."

If such a camera were to come into production combining a front facing telephoto and wide lens I can see where combining the output into a stacked 1920 x 540 frame might make for a good way to implement such a camera. It would also be appealing if a camera like this could also be capable of outputting each channel separately, full frame, if so desired.

Last edited:
Mobius 1 already has crop modes, you just set the field of view to "narrow" and it crops from the full sensor. Is it possible to edit the firmware to get 1920x540 or other custom resolutions?

Back