1920x800/540 video mode?

185° fisheye lens + 90° 2.8-12mm lens.

105° default lens.

Drive something with a hood so we can see if there's a reference point wen driving vehicles with and engine up front.

Thanks you.

Mobius 1 already has crop modes, you just set the field of view to "narrow" and it crops from the full sensor. Is it possible to edit the firmware to get 1920x540 or other custom resolutions?
Yes, it is possible.

Drive something with a hood so we can see if there's a reference point wen driving vehicles with and engine up front.

Thanks you.
Also put the camera horizontal (horizon in vertical centre) so that we don't see all that fisheye distortion.

Thanks you.
Can you provide me something with a hood for testing?

Also put the camera horizontal (horizon in vertical centre) so that we don't see all that fisheye distortion.
I agree all that fisheye distortion looks ugly but it actually helps to see almost everything in front.

Last edited:
Mobius 1 already has crop modes, you just set the field of view to "narrow" and it crops from the full sensor. Is it possible to edit the firmware to get 1920x540 or other custom resolutions?
it's easy to do in firmware, not sure it's something you could do yourself with a hex editor though, that might be a challenge

Can you provide me something with a hood for testing?

Something like THIS perhaps? I think it's got enough hood the get into the FOV :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes you can't get what you want with practicality but it's always worth a try to see if you can do better or find another way to achieve similar results with another method. There aren't any hard-and-fast rules about where you mount your cam and a different position may get you the results you wanted or at least enough ofvthem to make the change worthwhile ;)

Phil

With rear cameras on hatchback glasses, what would be your reference point if there's really no hood in the back?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

With rear cameras on hatchback glasses, what would be your reference point if there's really no hood in the back?

That would be the case with any camera's FOV, not just 1920 x 800/540 on the rear view of a hatchback, so I'm not sure the wide FOV changes anything.

That would be the case with any camera's FOV, not just 1920 x 800/540 on the rear view of a hatchback, so I'm not sure the wide FOV changes anything.
So we really can't do anything about it, I suppose?

There is no reference point in that case and judging the distance to the car behind is impossible. That is why reversing cameras normally have an overlay grid showing distances, however that does not work well for a dashcam due to the height, the grid does not always sit on the ground and the angle is not fixed, so it is inaccurate.

My car does have a bit of "hood" on the back of the tailgate, which is in the FOV, however it doesn't help much in judging distances, it is too close.

Only thing you can do is to make up an overlay grid for your car/camera by parking 10m in front of a car and marking a 10m line on the grid, then 5m etc. Overlay the grid using a video editor and that does give an idea, as long as you never adjust the position or angle of the camera.

I would like to see a slightly narrower secondary lens along with the wider brighter lens. My experience with the telephoto zoom makes me appreciate the value of having extra magnification for the second camera.
The 5MP 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 varifocal is a much better, more versatile optic. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-5mp-varifocal-zoom-6-22mm-ƒ-1-6.34263/

This stacked 1920x540 is taken from my 6-22mm (on a Mobius Maxi) and an A129 with stock lens. Both cameras have a CPL fitted.

y4mDIMQLELUnsb753dn4SP5wcGsmcRh2ylVZbiUJun3PreNvMFRGE4c4siFCXtwPmXuvmRGPKzm0WzDNf0sXsuYtWnB_gHXf96Wps2JGdFQa1hq4pO3UZxXX2gwxrNmUh83NPU-Rkv87UiaWExrsdwTVMtvozRHMD5ZL9MHKv3cihhQVE7mAsN6_ZwppJotCg-uWt-cnk7ad9ZnG548fHdqdw

This stacked 1920x540 is taken from my 6-22mm (on a Mobius Maxi) and an A129 with stock lens. Both cameras have a CPL fitted.

y4mDIMQLELUnsb753dn4SP5wcGsmcRh2ylVZbiUJun3PreNvMFRGE4c4siFCXtwPmXuvmRGPKzm0WzDNf0sXsuYtWnB_gHXf96Wps2JGdFQa1hq4pO3UZxXX2gwxrNmUh83NPU-Rkv87UiaWExrsdwTVMtvozRHMD5ZL9MHKv3cihhQVE7mAsN6_ZwppJotCg-uWt-cnk7ad9ZnG548fHdqdw

That looks great and is essentially what I was talking about in the quote. A combination of two FOV magnifications such as this captures the overall scene while at the same time resolves license plate numbers, detail and even individual drivers in their vehicles out ahead of you. If someone were talking on a cell phone or otherwise distracted you could show that.

In light of our discussion here I especially like that you have a bit of hood/bonnet in the wide angle view as it connects both perspectives to your car's position and spacial relationships within the scene.

Focus seems a bit off on the varifocal as this lens is capable of far sharper results, as we know.

Last edited:
Focus seems a bit off on the varifocal as this lens is capable of far sharper results, as we know.
It probably does not appear as sharp as your M1 because I'm using this lens on a Maxi

Last edited:
My 'plates chaser' cam is upgraded for low-light shooting with reduced motion blur. The shutter speed is limited to 1/200s, no IR and CPL filters, the lens is: $5.8 f/1.5 4mm 3MP lens.

Note: it's B&W and flickers but I like how it looks :)
Yes, very interesting and amazing results (y)
1920 x 540
Frame 2019.04.12 21-00-05 (0-00-13.906).jpg

Frame 2019.04.12 21-00-17 (0-00-25.999).jpg

Frame 2019.04.12 21-00-20 (0-00-28.654).jpg(y)

Moving on. Exposure time limited to 1/400s, cheap bright f/1.2 4mm 3MP lens (this one).

RAW VIDEO LINK

Less motion blur but more noise and awful flicker. Now I definitely need to get something with IMX327/307/29x inside ;).

How can we get Mobius to add such features?
Dzoom tables and resolutions should be changed to match the 32:9 aspect ratio.

Moving on. Exposure time limited to 1/400s, cheap bright f/1.2 4mm 3MP lens (this one).
Move well. "The right way go, comrades"© :)
2a Frame 2019.04.13 22-46-35 (0-00-50.424).jpg

2b Frame 2019.04.13 22-46-37 (0-00-52.420).jpg

2c Frame 2019.04.13 22-46-43 (0-00-58.585).jpg
Less motion blur but more ... awful flicker. Now I definitely need to get something with IMX327/307/29x inside ;).
It is possible that the flicker is due to the influence of the type of sensor CMOS operating on the rolling shutter technology. On frame-by-frame viewing horizontal dark stripes are visible.
Sony has long been moving towards creating a CMOS sensor based on Global Shutter technology.
Recently, the third generation Pregius (may be IMX420) was presented. Some information here:

Sony Pregius® Global Shutter CMOS https://www.ptgrey.com/sony-pregius-global-shutter-cmos-technology

(March 18, 2019) Sony Develops a Stacked CMOS Image Sensor Technology Using Sony's Proprietary Global Shutter Function https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201903/19-023E/index.html

Introduction to the SONY® Pregius™ Series https://www.framos.com/en/sony-pregius-cmos-global-shutter

So far, these image sensors are used as a replacement for CCD sensors for surveillance cameras and they are very expensive.
Although all this is only speculation and it is very likely that I could be wrong

Last edited:
Back