2020 Subaru Forester with Eyesight Trim

Iheartdata808

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm interested in getting a dash cam for my Subaru. I'd like a front and back view. The problem is I don't want it hardwired into the truck because I don't want to void my warranty on the vehicle. I also have the Eyesight on my windshield so it would have to be a dash cam that doesn't interfere with the Eyesight. I live in Houston, Tx and it gets pretty hot here (that's another concern of mine). Any suggestions?

Thank yall for your help.

I've had a Blackvue DR750X-2CH Plus in my 2021 Outback for a few months now, and it works well for me. It's smaller than many others, and doesn't have a display screen (that's kinda pointless, as most will view the videos on their phones anyway). I hardwired my dashcam using fuse taps, so there's no danger of voiding the warranty. I installed mine on the windshield directly behind the rear view mirror, and it doesn't interfere with the EyeSight system or auto-dimming mirror.

This camera comes complete with the hardwire cable you'd need if you decide to go that route. It also comes with the cigarette lighter adapter if you don't want to hardwire it. I'd strongly recommend hardwiring it, though, as you wouldn't be able to take advantage of Parking Mode if it's not hardwired.

I live in Tulsa, and it gets pretty hot here, too. I've not read any complaints of heat failure on these (one of the reasons I bought it).

A good source for this camera would be www.thedashcamstore.com. They did a great job answering my pre-purchase questions and post purchase questions. (They're located in Austin, TX..not all that far from Houston).

Hello,

I'm interested in getting a dash cam for my Subaru. I'd like a front and back view. The problem is I don't want it hardwired into the truck because I don't want to void my warranty on the vehicle. I also have the Eyesight on my windshield so it would have to be a dash cam that doesn't interfere with the Eyesight. I live in Houston, Tx and it gets pretty hot here (that's another concern of mine). Any suggestions?

Thank yall for your help.

1. Street Guardian cameras are designed in Australia and should be able to survive Houston Heat no Problem.
2. Viofo Cameras (A129 Duo and Plus) are 1080p + 1080p and 2k / 1080P and are a very good option. The Viofo A129 Duo will run in any climate.

The benefit of the A129 duo is it supports live recording when parked (low bitrate parking mode) and is a front + rear camera if hardwired.

3. Hardwiring will not void your warranty. However, the alternative is to buy a battery pack and charge it via the 12V adapter. For instance, you could go to BlackBoxMyCar and buy Cell Link Neo with a Viofo 3 wire Hardwire kit Adapter.

I'd point to an A129 Duo / Plus if it were me. As if you park in parking lots, this camera will record everything in real time. Motion activated isn't always that reliable. A lot of these cameras with motion activation work off what's called buffered mode. It'll capture X seconds before the crash happens (or other incident). Of course, that leaves you open to hoping enough footage was captured.

1. https://www.blackboxmycar.com/products/cellink-battery-neo?variant=31361443168311
2. https://www.viofo.com/en/home/79-26...card-no_card/49-warehouse-china_stock_for_all
3. https://www.viofo.com/en/home/197-2...card-no_card/49-warehouse-china_stock_for_all

Placement matters with the 'eyesight' system. I looked but I can't find the page with a diagram for this which i thought I had bookmarked :( I'll post it if I can find it.

Phil

Back