SG9663DCPRO 2020 Dual Channel VS VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K

Which would you buy ?

• Total voters

Grierts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Curious which one you all recommend ?

blackboxmycar says the SG Has better video quality.

But the SG only offers time-lapse parking mode.

While the Viofo offers: Buffered, time-lapse, low bit rate.

How important are the parking modes ?

Any help or opinions on this topic ?

The SG cameras as far as i know all offer time lapse with 2-5-10 FPS recording, or constant low bitrate recording, and the usual G-sensor and even motion too, though SG also agree motion detect are no good for parking mode.
As far as i understand it SG cameras also buffer, but not a little ram buffer but rather whole segments ( 3 minutes in my case ) so on my old SG9663DC when i hit the event button i get 2 X 3 minutes locked down + 2 X 3 minutes from the rear camera, in total 12 minutes of recording,,,,,, not just say seconds of content from a small buffer + some seconds after for a total of 2 X 45 seconds ( front and rear cameras )

Someone correct me if i am wrong, though i am affiliated with SG their parking mode are something i have yet to try out.

When you say 2 X 3.

are you saying.

2 Minutes before the event and 3 minutes after the event ?

As I understand it, the SG approach is to save the current file, and if it is less than half-finished it also saves the previous file. If it's over half-finished then it also saves the next file. So with a 3 minute file-time setting you'll get around 6 minutes of saved recordings, biased toward the event itself. It's a very good method compared to saving only a pre-set amount of time before and after which is how many pre-buffered systems are configured.

Phil

Depend on when you press the button, say i am 2 minutes into the current 3 minute segment when i press the button, in that case the current 3 minute file will be saved and the following file too. ( 2 x 3 minutes locked down )
On the other hand if i am only 1 minute into current recording when i press the button the current 3 minute file will be locked + the one before.

So in the first example assuming i press the button right as a thing happen i will have 2 minutes from before and 4 minutes after, so 6 minutes / 2 X 3 minutes ( + the same for the rear camera )
Second example i will have 4 minutes form before the event and 2 minutes after. again 2 X 3 minutes locked down but 4 of them are from before the button press the 2 minutes are after.
The camera do not split the files at the event so they will always be 3 minutes if that's the segment size you use.

BUT !!!! i am not quite sure if thats also how it work for parking guard operations, here i am talking about using the manual event button.
I will only get to sample parking mode with the next batch of cameras SG send to me, so i have never really tried to usee parking guard.
BUT ! rest assure one of the guys that know who / what when for damn sure will chime in soon

Last edited:
Thanks !!

Any experience with the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K ?

My vote is for the SG, mainly because it will perform as expected- that's a hallmark of SG cams as Jokiin does not release functions which haven't been very thoroughly tested beforehand. Viofo might have better vid quality, but with that cam I'm still seeing reports of unresolved issues. To be fair, I think they will be worked out well but it just hasn't happened yet. Both are truly top-level dashcams and good values.

Phil

Nope me and sawmaster have no experience with those personally, they do seem to have a few bugs ATM.

I really appreciate your input.

maY i ask what you have in your vehicle ??

Can I ask you the same question.

What are you currently running your vehicle ?
Dash cam ?

Yeah with things as they are in China right now, most things including bug fixing in dashcams i recon are pushed back a month or two.

The SG9663DC PRO are good to go and have been for a while, also enjoy better support though viofo are not bad at that either, but #1 in that field got to be SG.
You will not find the viofo owner on this forum 10 hours every day, but the SG boss is here very much.

My main camera are the SG9663DC i was sent to test in 2017, along with a guard trak ( SG brand for the home Australian market ) i have just given a kid the SGGCX2 i also got to test in 2017.
Then i have the K2S test camera i use for side cameras, and the mobius maxi fitted with a 12 mm lens for long range work on the windscreen.

So my car looked like this in 2017 installing 3 cameras in 2 days.

Some times i can have 4-5 cameras on my windscreen, and a total of 10 or so are not unheard of.

Normal dashcam VS 12 MM "zoom" camera ( only hight are cropped in to the middle 50% of the 2 cameras footage, width are un-touched, so as you can see the zoom camera have no field of view, but give you a clear view of things far away the normal dashcam can not do )

only 2 windscreen cameras + 1 zoom camera - L & R side cameras + 1 rear camera in my car ATM

Another thing to consider is the form factor itself. The VIOFO has a GPS mount while the SG GPS is a separate unit, I've not heard if that has any bearing on GPS performance.

Also, SG has another comparable camera the SGX2PRO+ with the major differences being no WiFi if that's important to you and the cables connect to the camera at the top versus the side as is the case with the VIOFO and SG DC which may be a factor in your installation. Both the VIOFO and SG DC need additional space on both sides of the camera to accommodate the cables and access to the mSD card slot while with the SGX2PRO+ that's less of an issue.

SG9663DC + the K2S system working together for sort of 360 coverage just not close up to the car.

The install of the K2S system as side cameras + a little footage from the cameras first.

Yes also with mentioning the DC camers have wire connecting to the side of the camera, the SGGCX2PRO+ have the connectors at the top of the camera.
It is a little thing in my world, but can have some say if your car are challenged in some way with a "special" layout on the windscreen ( sensors and so newfangled things )

And yes SG use GPS mouse style antennas, so you can put it in the corner of your windscreen.

SG9663DCPRO parking mode has an option to select maximim time lapse mode of 30Fps (low bit-rate) recorded with sound.

low bitrate 30 FPS is what i will use for parking mode when i get to try it out.
I wsent quite sure what modes is there, in the manual to the HW kit it just say timelapse 1-2-5 -10 FPS or something, don't mention the option to do low bitrate recording,i think that need to be edited.

Last edited:
I've got bunches of cams listed under my avatar on the left. Many came to me gratis for testing and review, and some were purchased by me. ATM my workvan has 2 views forward, 3 views rearward, and a view to either side. Parking protection is primarily one 2-channel cam so as to get the time desired without over-stressing the battery. Come springtime I plan big changes including a detachable cam power/ jumpstart/ inverter device to increase my parking protection and to make my cam operations easier. Some chance of upgrading my main front cam then as the best I've got right now is 1080P and I'd like better.

Phil

Gratis,,,,,, that mean the same in Danish, also pretty much pronounce the same.
Maybe one of the 600 or so Danish words that found their way into the English language.

PS: in Swedish it don't mean free but rather thank you :rolleyes: crazy Swedes.

Knife and window comming from the Danish words kniv and vindue, which was of course probably pronounced a bit different around the year 1000 or so.

blackboxmycar says the SG Has better video quality.
I don't know anything about a 2020 SG dashcam, but surely a Full HD dashcam can't compete on video quality with the 4K of the A129 Pro?

I would expect the A129 Pro to give 4x the detail!

Maybe I've missed something about this new SG? It is only a quarter of 4K resolution isn't it?

Back