2021 Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks very interesting but with 385,000 hits on Google the plan doesn't seem to be much of a secret. :) Apparently, this was announced the first week of February.

Maybe the secret is that it's to be built of Legos? :D

It is only the location that they said was secret!
Which of course means that its existence can't be confirmed...

The video seemed to imply that the location hasn't been quite decided yet but the ocean depth was an important factor, which seems to offer some clues to where it will be.

I see the G7 Summit is doing its best to cut emissions compared to the previous ones which were virtual:

For example, just part of the UK Police force has arrived in this:

"Police have hired a cruise ship with 3,000 capacity to house some of the additional officers"
_118557288_capture.jpg

I think the "G" ness of countries should be defined in another way, you can easy be a major economy and be a nation every one would bypass if only they could.

I think the "G" ness of countries should be defined in another way, you can easy be a major economy and be a nation every one would bypass if only they could.
Is Denmark represented?

I saw that the EU finance minister was here, even though the EU is not in the G7…

No we are not Great in that way, so on the sideline we are.

No we are not Great in that way, so on the sideline we are.
Seems that it is actually the G7+EU, making 8?, or 7+27? Ursula von der Leyen will be there.

Denmark not even in the G20 :(

Last edited:
20% thats worth talking about with a vehicle like that, i also think it is worth talking about in general with the situation in mind.

It's an interesting concept. I like that they've taken an ancient technology like wind sails and brought them into the 21st century. It can be configured for any sized boat or ship.

Interesting too that as a MIchelin product the puffy pleated design is vaguely reminiscent of the Michelin Man.

WISAMO.png

current-MMan.jpg

Just one problem, this will not work well on the high stacked container ships, those sails will take up the space for a significant number of containers.

Tonight, and almost where i live will be the earliest "tropical" night here in 20 years, but my town are just below 20 deg C right now close to midnight.
From noon today and onward the temperature was 29 deg C today, that i like, though not funny to work under, at our age we need plenty of breaks for other reasons too, actually today i feel like someone have been giving me a good beating on the legs and lower back using baseball bats..

There was still time for a little R&R while my car cooked in the sun testing parking guard on the SG9663DR for 12 hours ( flawless )
And we got to burn a lot of surplus stuff on the fire that was going from around 2 in the afternoon to 2 at night.

IMG_20210616_182701.jpg

Just one problem, this will not work well on the high stacked container ships, those sails will take up the space for a significant number of containers.

I'm guessing that if they actually start building container ships that use these sails, they will come up with a method to deal with that. These sails are on masts, after all. This could give the term "tall ships" a whole new meaning. :)

O we was very naughty :cautious: so even some products from the petrol / chemical industry went up in flame, and then of course poor helpless trees and their leaves from last year.
But in general the smoke from our fire was in brighter nuances all day.

Sails can be very efficient propulsion, but it's not retrofittable technology. The hull has to be designed for heeling, and the structure reinforced to handle what can be extreme stresses. But the biggest problem is mast height and how that affects deck-loading. Even a bare mast catches a lot of wind, and container ships don't like listing. If they could make a good telescoping mast to go with WISAMO that might make it a lot more viable. The 'bunker oil' that fuels most ships is some nasty stuff in every way- especially pollution. Ship engines are wonderful for harbor, port, and canal maneuvering but wind-power can be very viable for oceans and seas.

Phil

O we was very naughty :cautious: so even some products from the petrol / chemical industry went up in flame, and then of course poor helpless trees and their leaves from last year.
But in general the smoke from our fire was in brighter nuances all day.

I have a fanatical friend who freaks out at the slightest hint that anyone he knows might do anything that could harm the environment. When I mentioned that some experts believe nuclear power is one of the key answers to avoiding the use of fossil fuels in the future , he glowered at me and wouldn't talk to me for several days.

Anyway, after that I told him that for Earth Day this year I burned a pile of old tires......part of my effort to clean up the environment. :smuggrin: At first, he believed me, except I couldn't keep a straight face!

Last edited:
Many of the large ships have "wings" / stabilizers under the water, that could help keep it upright and not lean over, which a weighted keel do normally.
Of course using things like that will increase drag

I suppose you could also use massive Gyros, those would not increase drag, but they will need a lot of power to be spun up.

If they could make a good telescoping mast to go with WISAMO that might make it a lot more viable.

It sounds like you didn't watch the video I linked. The mast IS telescopic! They show how you can retract the mast to pass under bridges or in very bad weather. The whole thing is like a giant accordion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back