360º always-on cloud-connected roof-mounted smart carcam

Who is interested in this type of carcam?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Even commercial fleets struggle with heavy snow storms where I live. I don't see how it really makes a difference. In fact, it may be an additional hindrance commercial fleets would prefer not to have to deal with. Yes, they clean the snow off their fleet vehicles but anyone who lives in such an weather environment knows what an ongoing hassle it can be and in a commercial environment it would be an additional thing drivers would be required to give their attention to.

View attachment 23391

yeah I brought the snow issue up previously, more making the point that people aren't going to want to stick something on the roof of their vehicle to begin with, technical issues aside that is still a definite hurdle to acceptance, commercial fleets maybe that's not such an issue, really I can see plenty of issues but I don't want to nitpick, just looking at the obvious stuff

yeah I brought the snow issue up previously, more making the point that people aren't going to want to stick something on the roof of their vehicle to begin with, technical issues aside that is still a definite hurdle to acceptance, commercial fleets maybe that's not such an issue, really I can see plenty of issues but I don't want to nitpick, just looking at the obvious stuff

Yeah, the whole rooftop concept seems to have quite a few drawbacks. As for armored security vehicles, they normally already have multiple CCTV cameras on board facing in all directions that are built into the sides of the vehicles, not the rooftop. Drivers have other concerns on their minds than keeping cameras clear of snow.

Yeah, the whole rooftop concept seems to have quite a few drawbacks. .

field of view is probably one of the larger issues, something near the edge of the roof has no problem seeing below the roofline, from a single viewpoint though I don't know how you can effectively view below the roofline in all directions without being significantly higher than the roofline, am I missing something from what seems like basic physics, not sure?

field of view is probably one of the larger issues, something near the edge of the roof has no problem seeing below the roofline, from a single viewpoint though I don't know how you can effectively view below the roofline in all directions without being significantly higher than the roofline, am I missing something from what seems like basic physics, not sure?

Something like this, maybe? :)
bubblegumlight.jpg

Just sharing my thoughts:

1. Easy and secure top of car camera
Not a chance, sorry.
2. 360º panoramic view
Even at 4k resolution, would still end up lacking too much detail. Also, ever tried watching back a 360º video on a regular monitor? Ever tried editing one? I would not enjoy that experience. I'd like to see multiple cameras covering 360º of the vehicle, but, not in one lens.
3. 4K res
Nice, but, at what cost vs say, 1080p, 1296p, 1440p, etc?
4. H2O-phobic
Don't care 'cos it ain't goin' on my roof. The windscreen exists for a reason.
5. License plate and distance sensors
ANPR capabilities would be nice, especially on a wide angle lens as you lose detail. Not sure if distance sensors would be useful or not. I guess you could set it to auto-lock a file if someone tailgates you within a certain distance. This distance would have to be a time based distance though so that it scales with speed. What is too close a distance at 70mph would be perfectly fine at say 20mph. The software would need to use speed + distance sensor to work out what is a safe gap. "Only a fool breaks the two second rule".
6. Powered by solar, wind, kinetic and maybe wireless transmission - Always on
Added expense for something that is not needed. If I want solar I'll buy one for the whole vehicle battery charging system, not just for one accessory.
7. Connected to internal powered control unit
Is this like a remote DVR unit tucked away in the boot (trunk), glovebox or under the seat? In which case, YES. Could we, if we wanted, put a nice 6TB HDD in it please? (as an optional upgrade that the owner could do themself, as 6TB is not cheap).
8. Control unit connected to 4G LTE (and already started testing on 5G test rig)
Probably way too too expensive for a long time yet, for most people. I don't want ongoing charges to use a dashcam.
9. Large encrypted video buffer that smart cloud purges
Encryption would be nice.
10. Smart object sensing
Not sure what the purpose of this would be.
11. Partial or all 360º streaming with variable bit rates
No 360º lens please, no streaming please. Variable bit rates is a pretty standard thing, isn't it?
12. Chain of evidence digitally preserved and provable in court
So it needs to be built with high standards of workmanship, using high quality components, to ensure the product is reliable, and not a liability.
13. Police can not get video off the unit or from the cloud. This is personal security video that YOU control.
Even the very best encryption would only slow down a determined Police force from decrypting something. No cloud storage please, too expensive.
14. Smart Alerts to your phone | Saves connected events - like initial casing by thief AND the act itself
With a very low cost data plan, this could work somewhat. For instance, if the G-sensor detects an event in parking mode, it could send you a text or email to alert you. Some SatNavs already have SIM cards in with unlimited for life data plans in them, but they are limited in what they can be used for. A similar deal could be struck for a smart connected dashcam to send alerts only (but not footage, unless it was re-encoded to very, very low quality and highly compressed before being uploaded).

I'd like to know:

1. Would you buy one?
Perhaps. If I could afford it, if it were reliable, if it had no gimmicks and did what a dashcam is supposed to do, then maybe.
2. What price would you pay for the unit?
Well, something like this, even with all the changes I suggested, is still going to be in the £300-£800 region I would have thought. Which is more than I can afford.
3. What price would you pay for monthly data service plan?
Nil.
4. Why you wouldn't buy one?
If it had a single 360º lens, if it mounted to the roof, if it required an expensive data plan, if it had too many gimmicks.
5. Would you buy a unit through Kickstarter-like offering?
I'm afraid not, no.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

1. Would you buy one?
No, I even removed the antenna from my car because out here they steal anything not welded to the car. I even had to epoxy my side mirror glass so it wouldn't get stolen.

I refuse to pay over 100 dollars for chinese crap, been there, done that. Now, if it were from a known manufacturer like Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic, Sony, etc. I would be willing to pay up to 200

Nothing, I already pay through the nose for my phone's data plan

1. Easy and secure top of car camera (It WILL get stolen)
3. 4K res (What for)
5. License plate and distance sensors (Again, what for)
6. Powered by solar, wind, kinetic and maybe wireless transmission - Always on (retarded idea, I don't want my car to look like the google cars)
8. Control unit connected to 4G LTE (and already started testing on 5G test rig) (Refuse to pay for more data plans)
9. Large encrypted video buffer that smart cloud purges (I hate cloud storage)
10. Smart object sensing (Will it only sense smart objects or stupid ones too?)
12. Chain of evidence digitally preserved and provable in court (Yes, because I want the police to have evidence AGAINST me in case it's my fault.
13. Police can not get video off the unit or from the cloud. This is personal security video that YOU control. (Oh, please! That will get hack in a minute)
14. Smart Alerts to your phone | Saves connected events - like initial casing by thief AND the act itself (I keep all alerts off on my phone, I have a life)

Never, I'm through with Kickstarter and having to wait two years to receive something I already paid for.

1. Would you buy one?
No, I even removed the antenna from my car because out here they steal anything not welded to the car. I even had to epoxy my side mirror glass so it wouldn't get stolen.

I refuse to pay over 100 dollars for chinese crap, been there, done that. Now, if it were from a known manufacturer like Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic, Sony, etc. I would be willing to pay up to 200

Nothing, I already pay through the nose for my phone's data plan

1. Easy and secure top of car camera (It WILL get stolen)
3. 4K res (What for)
5. License plate and distance sensors (Again, what for)
6. Powered by solar, wind, kinetic and maybe wireless transmission - Always on (retarded idea, I don't want my car to look like the google cars)
8. Control unit connected to 4G LTE (and already started testing on 5G test rig) (Refuse to pay for more data plans)
9. Large encrypted video buffer that smart cloud purges (I hate cloud storage)
10. Smart object sensing (Will it only sense smart objects or stupid ones too?)
12. Chain of evidence digitally preserved and provable in court (Yes, because I want the police to have evidence AGAINST me in case it's my fault.
13. Police can not get video off the unit or from the cloud. This is personal security video that YOU control. (Oh, please! That will get hack in a minute)
14. Smart Alerts to your phone | Saves connected events - like initial casing by thief AND the act itself (I keep all alerts off on my phone, I have a life)

Never, I'm through with Kickstarter and having to wait two years to receive something I already paid for.

Thanks for the feedback,
JG

Would anyone like to share video fails from their dashcams? I am looking to compile scenarios to test my equipment against.

I am looking for circumstances where the incident captured was not good enough due to environmental/vibration/blurring/glaring issues.

I can give you a OneDrive folder to drop them into if you direct contact me.

Thanks,
JG

I have deleted all my old raw footage, though i dont save much of my drives my HDD space is running out.
Besides i only captured 1 "accident" or rather near accident.

I do have a case today where i white car some against me and i have the sun at my back ( not really low at that time ) but the plate was washed out more or less, for sure no plate capture there.
Recorded with my X camera at 1080/60 and having a CPL filter on the camera ( though CPL dont seem to be properly alligned for this drive )

I agree completely about the need to cover all sides of one's vehicle. That's why I run four cameras at all times for 360° around my vehicle. (more than 360°actually as there is overlap).

See THIS thread for some discussion and examples regarding lateral (and rear) facing cameras.

I really like some of the ideas you are presenting but I believe that bringing such a product to market at a price point that will be viable at this point in time or even in the foreseeable future is unlikely considering the general dash cam buying public. Only a tiny elite portion of the dash cam buying public would be willing or able to afford what you are proposing, much less the projected 600 dollar (or more) per year data plan to support it.

The concept of a 360° coverage rooftop camera has been discussed here on DCT before. Perhaps concentrating on the camera technology alone would be more viable with the notion of adding the super advanced features at a future date as they become more practical?

Thanks for the thread link!

I will be posting 360° video on this thread in the next day or so.

Thanks for the thread link!

I will be posting 360° video on this thread in the next day or so.

Very interested to see what you have to show us. I would also be interested in seeing the rooftop device/prototype/mock-up and method you are using to capture the video.

Update:

I am shooting and editing lots of 360° video, but Apple's new announcements are soaking up my other time!

Edited video will be here in the next day or so.

Thanks,
JG

Sweet, looking forward to see that.

Is it off a prototype of your camera, or just a mock up rig of some sort ?

These will be candidate OEM cameras using different technologies; fisheye lenses and panoramic parabolic lenses, in various driving conditions.

The A-1 looks interesting in its approach but I think they haven't provided actual device video samples.

Anyone want to see some mixed environment 360° top of car footage?

I am trying to gauge potential customer interest in a carcam product that has the following features:

1. Easy and secure top of car camera
2. 360º panoramic view
3. 4K res
4. H2O-phobic
5. License plate and distance sensors
6. Powered by solar, wind, kinetic and maybe wireless transmission - Always on
7. Connected to internal powered control unit
8. Control unit connected to 4G LTE (and already started testing on 5G test rig)
9. Large encrypted video buffer that smart cloud purges
10. Smart object sensing
11. Partial or all 360º streaming with variable bit rates
12. Chain of evidence digitally preserved and provable in court
13. Police can not get video off the unit or from the cloud. This is personal security video that YOU control.
14. Smart Alerts to your phone | Saves connected events - like initial casing by thief AND the act itself

I'd like to know:

1. Would you buy one?

Thanx,
JG

Back