4G LTE Dashcam

ZenicaPA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi

I have been on the hunt for a dashcam that is 4G LTE enabled. This narrows the field a lot and I tried the Owl but it’s limited to short videoclips, the app SUCKS and defaults to LTE every time you want to review footage, even after you connect via WiFi.

I’d like a dashcam that’s LTE capable for streaming, reconnects WiFi to phone autonomously when in range, uses a micro SD card, has camera for interior view, high definition recording, records audio, can record 24/7 until storage it filled and has an intuitive app.

Is this a pipe dream? Or does it exist—- irrespective of cost.

Is there a compromise product available?
I had thought the Owl was it but the constant defaulting to LTE even after connecting via WiFi was very annoying. That and once connected via WiFi they don’t allow for a tile view of the history. Your limited to a single video with a slider for navigating date/time. Very frustrating.

still early days for 4G cameras, you'll see more come to market over the next year or so, perhaps things will improve in later generation product

I hope so, the benefits of a 4G camera cannot be overstated. Streaming from the car is 75% of why I want the dashcam given most events occur when the car is unoccupied.

At home i have CCTV on my car, after i have gotten 2 of my cars vandalized 3 times after i moved to this town, but moving my car to the back yard behind the apartment block did sort all but the D battery cell thrown,,,, and landing on my roof.
The 4G or pending 5G i can see a use for when parked, but i would not drive and stream all my footage to some cloud or a NAS at home, BUT ! for alerting me when parked and give me video that would be nice.
I have also argued it would be nice if you could pair a dashcam system with say a car alarm on a common bus, that would be nice, though i do think that before that car alarms will find their way into dashcams, or the other way around.
But constant streaming of everything from just 1 camera will be costly in mobile data and even here in Denmark that are one of the good countries in regard to mobile coverage, then you can still find yourself and your car & camera in a 2G spot.
Maybe the new 5G systems will mean 4G antennas will be moved to the countryside, i think the law about 100 mbit to everyone go for mobile data too, and now i don't even get 20 mbit on 4G on my phone in a "major" town.
And 20 mbit are so meh to a guy like me used to gigabit on the computer.

I’m using a Huawei E5787 mobile WiFi hotspot with a Blackvue GR900S-2CH. It works fine with the Blackvue Cloud. I have it set to just upload event clips in parking mode so if anyone breaks into the car and takes the dashcam I have a clip on the Cloud of it. It is also handy that the dashcam sends an alert to my phone whilst in parking mode. I’ve had that happen a couple of times. When I get the alert I go straight into the Blackvue app and live view to see what’s going on. Luckily it’s always seemed to be somebody bumping the car with their body so no damage done. I would rather have a separate WiFi hotspot than built into the dashcam because I can use the hotspot for other things, when on holiday for example, whereas with a built in one I would need another SIM card with data account and could only use it for the one use.

Closest that you'll come to what you are looking for is the BlackVue 750X whenever it gets released. I had heard that it was supposed to come out Q2 2019 but haven't seen anything else.

If you combine it with an external battery solution you could almost achieve everything you're looking for.

not a option for me as i cant get a #2 SIM card to share the data on my phone plan, i sure as hell are not going to get a second SIN card just for data in the car.
So a #2 SIM card, and maybe a little larger plan in regard to data and i will be good with having a access point in my car.

Hi

I have been on the hunt for a dashcam that is 4G LTE enabled. This narrows the field a lot and I tried the Owl but it’s limited to short videoclips, the app SUCKS and defaults to LTE every time you want to review footage, even after you connect via WiFi.

I’d like a dashcam that’s LTE capable for streaming, reconnects WiFi to phone autonomously when in range, uses a micro SD card, has camera for interior view, high definition recording, records audio, can record 24/7 until storage it filled and has an intuitive app.

Is this a pipe dream? Or does it exist—- irrespective of cost.

Let's discuss what would you like to realize on a 4G dashcam.

I've been searching as well for a 4G set up. I am trying to do some research on the Rexing S800 but I think it is too new and not enough information has been released by company of others. Maybe because of the whole COVID-19 lock down.
I have Verizon Business and pay $45 for unlimited service on my mobile plan and I can get a SIM for devices for $5 per month and unlimited as well. Most of the other dashcams that offer Wifi to view on your mobile devise is horrible and slow. I want this 4G service to view and even Live Stream footage at will. I will look into the Blackvue 750X or GR900S like others have mentioned.

My phone provider can / will not do dual SIM cards, which annoy me cuz the 30 GB i have on my phone plan are like 10 X of what i use of data on the phone.

You also have to factor in your signal strength, Here in Denmark we pretty much have 4G all over the place, and 3 Nation wide networks of which i have access to 2 as my provider have a roaming agreement with one of the other networks too.
But i often find myself in a place where the signal are weak, and it can also go away all together for a mile or so while driving.

It would be nice with a camera that would throw events up into the cloud, but all the data generated by the camera or for that matter streaming live, that i would not do / like myself.
I would also prefer if the data could be directed to my own NAS instead of some cloud plan i would then have to pay for too, even if my home NAS are probably a more unsafe place than most if not all Cloud services.

But i like to own my stuff, so i would never buy a film digital on some service, i would buy the film on some form of disk or not buy it at all, guess i am older fashioned than my actual older age.

Back