4K A229 Viofo Pro 3x Camera Dashcam unbox and deep dive - LateralNw

LateralNW

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
No Brand, Viofo 119,V1,V2,V3,Duo,Duo IR,T130,Vantrue S2
Ok finally here is my review after many discussions with Viofo and some firmware updates.

I know a lot of reviewers are really focused of video quality expecting studio results which would be nice but for me what is really important is reliability and a consistent image being produced on all the cameras regardless of lighting conditions. (Within Reason of course)

In my video I work through what was supplied courtesy of Viofo and go into some explanations of bits and pieces that us "pros" take for granted.

While we have had some hot days recently in Australia where I live it hasn't yet got to those very high temps which are coming very soon. I'm already exhausted thinking about the heat!

Of course I have made a video which is on Youtube and this one runs a little longer than I normally make. I will be adding chapters to it soon.

When the updated software comes out I am hanging out to test the copying files via a usb cable to an iPhone. That is a game changer for video copying.

The Viofo A229 Pro is a reliable 4K dashcam equipped with three cameras for comprehensive coverage. The front-facing camera features the Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678 8MP Sensor for clear road footage, while the rear camera uses the 2K sensor Sony STARVIS 2 IMX675 5MP Sensor, capturing rear views with its 150-degree viewing angle. The internal cabin camera, utilizing the Sony STARVIS IMX307 2MP Sensor, is equipped with 4x infrared LEDs for enhanced performance in low-light conditions. This camera supports a 512GB mini SD card for ample storage and is powered by a Novatek processor, ensuring efficient performance.

The user-friendly design includes a 2.4" color LCD screen and five buttons on the front panel for easy control. The dashcam supports both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz WiFi frequencies for convenient connectivity. Without overselling its features, the Viofo A229 Pro stands as a practical and effective solution for capturing footage on the road.

Recent improvements indicate that soon it will be possible to download files directly from the USB C port on the side of the unit. This exciting new feature offers a convenient way to access files from your dashcam, whether you use an iPhone or an Android phone. While still in testing, this feature is expected to be released with the next firmware update.

Comments and even criticism welcome - I think:)

A229 Gum trees clarity.pngA229 Cabin Daytime.png

It would help if I press the Post thread button :LOL:

Nice review mate, watching through it as we speak.

I wouldn't call the USB-C transfer a game-changer considering the USB 2.0 speeds. No way is it USB 3.1 Gen 1/2, in which case that would be blistering fast. If anything, the speeds would be slower or comparable to what the 5Ghz WiFI transfer speeds are now. It is quite convenient though as yet another transfer option, in addition to the usual take-out the microSD card, connect the dashcam to a PC/Mac, WiFi and now direct cable to the dashcam to phone itself.

Also being in Australia myself, will be interesting to see how it goes with the above 40C heat in a parked-car-outside-in-the-sun-all-day scenario. I'm quite interested to see how my A229 Pro and Nexus 4 Pro copes in the summer heat...

If anything, the speeds would be slower or comparable to what the 5Ghz WiFI transfer speeds are now.

Thanks for the input you raise an interesting question about speed.

While i don't have the special firmware (yet) or the suitable iPhone (yet) being an optumus I'm expecting the xfer speed to be faster than wifi.

At the end of the A229 Pro video review is how fast a 700MB file takes to my phone memory, 1 minute 25 seconds which is about 10MBs.

USB 2.0 might hit 40MBs which would mean it could be 4x faster.
So instead of waiting 1 minute and 25 seconds you only have to wait ~20 seconds.
However Bill did say he hadn't realised he had already down loaded the 175MB file so it may even be faster than usb2 @viofo
I'll take the faster any day lol.

With the heat and regarding the A229 Pro I was very surprised at the heat sink design and placement in the other thread @Augie started and wonder if there is room for better cooling in a revised unit.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the input you raise an interesting question about speed.

While i don't have the special firmware (yet) or the suitable iPhone (yet) being an optumus I'm expecting the xfer speed to be faster than wifi.

At the end of the A229 Pro video review is how fast a 700MB file takes to my phone memory, 1 minute 25 seconds which is about 10MBs.

USB 2.0 might hit 40MBs which would mean it could be 4x faster.
So instead of waiting 1 minute and 25 seconds you only have to wait ~20 seconds.
However Bill did say he hadn't realised he had already down loaded the 175MB file so it may even be faster than usb2
I'll take the faster any day lol.

With the heat and regarding the A229 Pro I was very surprised at the heat sink design and placement in the other thread @Augie started and wonder if there is room for better cooling in a revised unit.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Cheers
Fair about the speeds but to me seems a bit optimistic but I could be wrong. As for cooling seems to be v2 revision of the board so I wonder if there will be any further optimisations in the future, or if they will wait til next models.

Think I mentioned somewhere the other day that we seem to have hit the limits of what we can do with cooling. I've been banging on til I'm blue in the face, but this is exactly why they should be moving the chipset and processors to smaller nodes to make it more efficient, and most importantly, to run cooler.

There's only so much they can do as we all know, for heat sinks and thermal pads and paste for cooling. They'll be forced to anyway since companies don't want failure rates that are too high..

Fair about the speeds but to me seems a bit optimistic but I could be wrong. As for cooling seems to be v2 revision of the board so I wonder if there will be any further optimisations in the future, or if they will wait til next models.

Think I mentioned somewhere the other day that we seem to have hit the limits of what we can do with cooling. I've been banging on til I'm blue in the face, but this is exactly why they should be moving the chipset and processors to smaller nodes to make it more efficient, and most importantly, to run cooler.

There's only so much they can do as we all know, for heat sinks and thermal pads and paste for cooling. They'll be forced to anyway since companies don't want failure rates that are too high..

I don't make dash cams so I haven't hit any limit.

The A229 shell was designed with the intention of coping better to heat and i guess more components.

This shell has been in the making for the A229Pro for some time based on many previous posts.

The designers of dash cams will do what designers do, improving designs based on client needs and other ways to do the same job.

Viofo already have a unit that has the cameras remote from the storage unit so it's not anything new to them.

Like anything in this world it usually comes down to price and what customers will bear.

I don't make dash cams so I haven't hit any limit.

The A229 shell was designed with the intention of coping better to heat and i guess more components.

This shell has been in the making for the A229Pro for some time based on many previous posts.

The designers of dash cams will do what designers do, improving designs based on client needs and other ways to do the same job.

Viofo already have a unit that has the cameras remote from the storage unit so it's not anything new to them.

Like anything in this world it usually comes down to price and what customers will bear.
Wasn't talking about you specifically, was making the points of what the technology and heat dissipation like in many other threads.

What's with having to disable LTE to view the video feed, is that an iPhone thing or a bug? Never had that issue with mine using Android. As soon as I get back in my carport it switches to wifi and can connect no issues, same when I'm out and about on LTE. Never had to disable or enable LTE on my android phone.

Wasn't talking about you specifically,
that we seem to have hit the limits of what we can do with cooling

The way it's written infers we all make Dashcams. I don't.
What's with having to disable LTE to view the video feed

Yep it's a thing. You can see how it's required in the video I'm not just saying it to waste time.

It used to work without a problem but something changed way back.

The way it's written infers we all make Dashcams. I don't.

Yep it's a thing. You can see how it's required in the video I'm not just saying it to waste time.

It used to work without a problem but something changed way back.
Must be a bug then specific to iPhones haha (too bad). Hopefully they get on it soon.

USB 3.0 is not too far on the dashcam, but this will be limited by the microSD card read speed.

USB 3.0 is not too far on the dashcam, but this will be limited by the microSD card read speed.
Very true, unless one day they move to UFS internal storage but that's just another point for failure I presume

What happened to the deleted member?
You know that one coworker that passes gas in the office, and everyone else leaves the room?
Well, @Nigel was able to pull that off by replying to one of the deleted member’s posts.
Nigel means well, but he’s an acquired taste. LMAO!

Having a look at the rear camera and I think it always has HDR on.
The front camera is showing on screen that HDR is off but the way the letters are showing up on the Maccas lit signs looks like HDR is on for the back camera.
The quality of the rear camera look pretty good for a dead dark night and my rear windows with the heating elements in the way.

A229 rear camera macca and HDR .png

What happened to the deleted member?

Many of us were really enjoying Augie's fascinating and meticulous tear down of the A229 and were shocked when he deleted all that content and then the whole thread suddenly disappeared. When Augie stated that he was leaving the forum, several of us discussed this privately and we all agreed that Augie was an affable and interesting new member with something to offer the community and so a few of us tried to convince him to stick around. From my conversation with him I learned that he is someone with many years of experience in electronics at the component and board level and someone with a lot of unique mechanical abilities who merely enjoys sharing his skills for others who might find it interesting. Unlike some here on the forum, he didn't have an agenda, wasn't looking to constantly call attention to himself, nor was he looking to profit in any way from his presence here.

He closed with: "Thank you for contacting me. My decision is firm about closing my account. No one comes here to be bullied, badgered, or argued with by Nigel. Management has erred in keeping his account open. He brings no value to the site, only division.”

He also had a few other comments which at least for the time being I will keep to myself.

You know that one coworker that passes gas in the office, and everyone else leaves the room?
Well, @Nigel was able to pull that off by replying to one of the deleted member’s posts...
Great analogy. (y)

Last edited:
A good reason to move to a faster storage media.

To not end up with a situation where you have a Porsche 911 but with a VW polo engine in it.

We take it for granted these days of a dash cam being able to see the road and even number plates while driving into the morning sun.

How many dash cams can handle bright reflective clouds with a morning sun?

Well it seems the A229 Pro can.

Have a look and take note of the extremely bright reflective sky.

To make it even more difficult my dash mat was reflecting on the windscreen.

I kinda sorta "almost" disagree.
I'll film a "DRIVING" comparison of the rear camera vs. the A119 Mini 2 to show you what I mean.
Did you get around to doing the comparison?
You can post here.

Back