$5,000 For A Dash Cam?

DashCamOnBoard

Reaction score
Country
United States
The St. Petersburg police are installing dash cams on a few cruisers, but get this. They're paying $5,000 EACH for them. Why on earth would anyone pay that kind of cash for a single dash cam? For a couple hundred dollars you can get something pretty good. So what's the deal here? Government waste, or is there a legitimate reason for this?

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...cruisers-they-expect-to-have-40-within-a-year

The St. Petersburg police are installing dash cams on a few cruisers, but get this. They're paying $5,000 EACH for them. Why on earth would anyone pay that kind of cash for a single dash cam? For a couple hundred dollars you can get something pretty good. So what's the deal here? Government waste, or is there a legitimate reason for this?

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...cruisers-they-expect-to-have-40-within-a-year
There is a huge difference between public dashcam and pilice cam. 5K for latest police cam model is not that much to be honest.

This police "latest dashcam" is only 720p 6Mps, which is HD and big improvement from what they had before, but it is still below what public dashcams are capable to record ( 1080, 1296, 2K ).

Dumb, unregulated (public) money go far... :D

Well i would assume it was a little more than just a camera and a recording unit, maybe there is allso ANPR in it, somthing like that would be good for the police to have.

EDIT: allso here police dont get to keep what they seize, so every dime had to come from tax payer money here.

But still, $5,000 versus $500? For $500, anyone on this forum could get a great setup with money to spare. What is it that makes it that much more expensive just because it's a "police" dash cam? Are the specs drastically better somehow? Are the cameras built more solid? Better audio quality? What are we actually paying so much for?? And what is "ANPR"?

Automatic
Number
Plate
Recognition

By the look of some police dashcam videos that have been presented on TV (for whatever that's worth!), some police departments are not using $5,000 cameras. Sometimes the poor quality reminds me of standard definition or 640x480. Perhaps they have budget challenges.

And what is "ANPR"?
In the UK all the police traffic cars automatically read every license plate as they drive along and check them to make sure they have insurance, that the owner hasn't been banned from driving, that they have paid their pollution tax, that the driver isn't wanted for something else, etc. If it sees one that isn't insured then it will alert the officer. $5,000 seems a small price to pay to get all the uninsured cars off the road. The police cars cost considerably more than that, as does the officer, the ANPR makes them considerably more effective.

They do need to be tested and approved and maybe calibrated so that the times and speeds they record can be used in court.

However that article actually says that these wont get ANPR and they wont even record all the time - only if the blue lights are on, if the officer chooses to turn them on! What if you want to record someone's unacceptable driving before pulling them over? I imagine the UK police probably use more video from without lights on than with.

By the look of some police dashcam videos that have been presented on TV (for whatever that's worth!), some police departments are not using $5,000 cameras. Sometimes the poor quality reminds me of standard definition or 640x480. Perhaps they have budget challenges.
Many of those videos are from the era of vacuum tube cameras and tape recording, from before data protection laws existed that would now stop the Police selling such stuff. And most, if not all the audio of screeching tyres and crashes is added and the speeds greatly exaggerated.

Last edited:
the ANPR systems they use in Australia are a lot more expensive than these, I do recall when they first outfitted a car with the system that they mentioned recovering the cost of the system in fines on the first shift that the car worked

Automatic
Number
Plate
Recognition

In the UK all the police traffic cars automatically read every license plate as they drive along and check them to make sure they have insurance, that the owner hasn't been banned from driving, that they have paid their pollution tax, that the driver isn't wanted for something else, etc. If it sees one that isn't insured then it will alert the officer. $5,000 seems a small price to pay to get all the uninsured cars off the road. The police cars cost considerably more than that, as does the officer, the ANPR makes them considerably more effective.

They do need to be tested and approved and maybe calibrated so that the times and speeds they record can be used in court.

However that article actually says that these wont get ANPR and they wont even record all the time - only if the blue lights are on, if the officer chooses to turn them on! What if you want to record someone's unacceptable driving before pulling them over? I imagine the UK police probably use more video from without lights on than with.

Many of those videos are from the era of vacuum tube cameras and tape recording, from before data protection laws existed that would now stop the Police selling such stuff. And most, if not all the audio of screeching tyres and crashes is added and the speeds greatly exaggerated.

I think guy said that ANPR will be installed later ( "you know what they doing after that, - they getting a scanner to read license plate, this coming later this month " ), - this means that 5K is only price for dashcam. I guess ANPR "add-on" will cost at least the same as dashcam ;)

the ANPR systems they use in Australia are a lot more expensive than these, I do recall when they first outfitted a car with the system that they mentioned recovering the cost of the system in fines on the first shift that the car worked
I guess the real cost saving is when they manage to reach their fines target using only 1 car instead of 10 and 2 officers instead of 20.

I think guy said that ANPR will be installed later ( "you know what they doing after that, - they getting a scanner to read license plate, this coming later this month " ), - this means that 5K is only price for dashcam. I guess ANPR "add-on" will cost at least the same as dashcam ;)
Don't forget the $billion for the police database, car insurance database, tax database, mobile data links, new police operations centre and the staff to make it all work! A license plate scanner on it's own is useless.

But still, $5,000 versus $500? For $500, anyone on this forum could get a great setup with money to spare. What is it that makes it that much more expensive just because it's a "police" dash cam? Are the specs drastically better somehow? Are the cameras built more solid? Better audio quality? What are we actually paying so much for?? And what is "ANPR"?

Public dashcam are better in video quality recording, but in everything rest the police dashcams are way ahead. They are high-end industrial quality built, with special customized firmware, with additional functions that public dashcams dont have. In many cases price includes installation and service within warranty period, which is not 1 year like some public dashcams. There are 90% of stuff that general public dont know what puts police dashcam price up, but all those "add-ons" are justified in price.

Their cameras are also wired into the vehicle's electrical system to include light bar activation, brakes, turn signals, and several other odds and ends. I agree that $5k is too much, but simply slapping a consumer-grade camera in a police car would open pandora's box when a defendant begins to challenge the specifications of the equipment that captured their misdeeds. For the record, I detest government and their revenue collectors (i.e. cops).

Its okay to take issue with government, you just shouldn't bash, as I'm sure there are certainly some of every profession on the site, doctors, lawyers, cops, painters, clerks and so on. Take some personal responsibility. The cops probably aren't overly fond of you either.

Back