$5,000 For A Dash Cam?

Nope...it's right on the money.

Please, where did I bash any profession? I simply stated I detest government. I also don't like dentists (they make me uncomfortable) or lawyers (I don't trust them). That doesn't mean I won't use their services if I need them. What exactly was it that I said that would make you think I've deferred any responsibility for anything? Your 'take responsibility' is a personal attack.

i get that the camera is expensive because of many other factors not in a civilian dashcam, but how would the ANPR be very effective at 720p? i feel like the best 1080p dashcams aren't as clear as I would like.

I think there is an assumption that they include ALPR hardware, but if you've ever seen those cameras, they're quite different than dash cameras. They're usually mounted on the trunk, roof, or hood aiming parallel to the cruiser, and have fairly elaborate IR emitters to make the plates glow for the cameras:

IMG_0732.jpg

Ft_Lauderdale_Installation_Law_Enforcement_ALPR_ANPR_Camera_02.jpg

I've yet to see a ALPR camera that works from inside the vehicle compartment (due to IR reflectivity on the windscreen).

What is "ALPR"?

From Google:

1. Automated License Plate Recognition (ALPR) is a technology that uses optical character recognition (OCR) to automatically read license plate characters. There are two types of ALPR: stationary, which uses infrared (IR) cameras at high fixed points, and mobile, which uses vehicle-mounted IR cameras.
  2. What is Automated License Plate Recognition (ALPR ...
    whatis.techtarget.com/definition/Automated-License-Plate-Recognition-ALPR

$5000.00 sounds a lot for a DVR, but I’m more than sure there’s good reasons for the high cost (bar corruption)

My first Hasselblad camera and Lens in 1984 cost me £1200.00. in 1981 my three bedroom house only cost me £16000.00, 13 of these Hasselblads and I could of bought another house

in todays (from http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/) say it is £3,622.00, in todays money. the Hasselblad had no built in light meter, no auto exposure, in fact when you looked in the view finder everything was left to right, anyone who’s used roll film cameras might know what I’m saying, it took only 12 exposures before you had to spend another 2 or 3 minutes changing films over,

an amateur 35mm SLR in those days could of been had for about £150 / £250, both were cameras but for different markets and different uses.

I think the same is true here, these cameras are more than likely used 24/7 and they are buying in to a modular system where the DVR body is only the foundation block of the system, they can add on to as and when they are ready for the other attachments/newer technology, also I would think they come with a service/maintenance contracts

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Dash Cam Discussion 0
Giri43 Dash Cam Discussion 0
T Dash Cam Discussion 0
G Dash Cam Discussion 0
I Dash Cam Discussion 6
Back