512 GW G Sensor Low Letting Still Too Sensitive

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was having problems with the G sensor on medium setting filling up the card via the Protected folder. I changed the setting to LOW hoping it would cure the problem or at least slow down filling up my card.

This morning before setting off on a short 10 minute journey the card was formatted so I had a empty card to start with, also I turned on the Announcement option, I was greeted with "Good Morning" from the camera. The 10 minute journey to my destination was uneventful and all 2 minute segments were in the Video Folder as expected.

On the return journey I got in the car and closed the door before ignition was switched on ( I don't have parking mode set ) once or twice on the journey home the camera announced "File Protected" any bumps I went over was hardly worth a mention, maybe the odd drain cover on the road. When I returned home to check files on PC the whole ten minute journey video files had recorded into the Protected Folder, not one part of the return journey ended up in the normal Video folder, from the moment I got into the car and drove home it was recording in Protected Mode. surely this cant be normal for the camera is it ? I've had to turn the G sensor off to stop it filling my card with uneeded files.

I've had this 512 GW since the end of August this year (bought at Halfords)and I'm not too impressed with the G sensor issue so far, Been having a couple of issues with video quality, blurry at time which I think could be sharper and playback jerky in Nextbase Player and VLC player, I have since found a old post from Tiffany on the forum stating "haven't experienced good results with Samsung cards " as it is a 64 gb Samsung Evo microsd xc1 I've been using maybe that is the quality problem, so to give Nextbase the benefit of the doubt I have just ordered a 64 gb transcend high endurance to see if that improves the video quality, it should arrive in a couple of days so I'll test it again.

I think it's fairly common on a lot of cameras depending on where you're from. My Blackvue does the same, as did my iTronics before that. The roads around here are generally abysmal, ex pit area, so pot holes and subsidence everywhere. That said, they're usually ok on the motorway.

Hi @Auld Reekie

Can I check a few things with you:

What version of firmware is on the camera?

In order to check what version of firmware you're using;
please stop the camera recording then press menu twice,
scroll down to "system info" or "version" then press OK,
a black screen should pop up with a long text with R.. at the end.
Please tell me what numbers are after the R.

Are you using parking mode?

Some cars are stiffer than others making the G-Sensor values difficult to set to ensure everyone gets a similar experience. Of course with feedback we can update where necessary if possible.

Hi Tiffany
Parking Mode is always set to off.
Version number is R-10.6. Just noticed it is now up to 14.6 so that will need updating. I assume this update is for the new rear cam that is due out?
I've set the G sensor to off for now to see how I get on with it, I drive a 2014 Ford Fiesta, I don't know if that is stiffer than other makes.

I received my new Transcend high endurance micro sd from the postman this lunchtime, put it in the 512 gw and took a short drive to check it out, it has removed the jerkiness in the playback that was there with the Samsung Evo, so that problem is solved, video seems a bit brighter too for some reason, perhaps cos the Samsung card is about 18 months old.

Maybe I'm expecting too much regarding sharpness after all it is not a full blown video camera, I do detect a slight up and down movement or vibration in some clips I wonder if that is what hurts the eyes as it looks like it loses focus. I use the sucker that came with the camera, I'm wondering if perhaps the using the attachment with the sticker would be any better.

Polarizer seems to be set ok for now using the sheet of white paper method, as like other cameras it all depends on the position of the sun, perhaps a small attachment like a little lever of sorts protruding from polarizer ring so the driver can easily move it with a touch of the finger.

Great - yes please update the firmware as the G-Sensor values have been updated slightly.

Yes is also includes firmware to allow the rear cam.

That is a common car so please do get back in touch should you continue seeing an excessive amount of protected files.

Fantastic news on the card, it plays a massive role in how the dash cam performs. I do always recommend the sticky mount where possible, does it feel lose at any point?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 512GW 12
Back