70mai S500 Rear View Dash Camera Testing/Review - RCG

rcg530

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue, Thinkware, VIOFO, Vantrue, Blueskysea, FineVu
A representative from 70mai reached out to me asking if I wanted to check out some of their products. I stated I would only test/review a product that uses a super capacitor instead of an internal Li-Ion battery. The rep asked if I wanted to review the S500 rear view dash camera (2-channel). I haven't tested a center rear view mounted dash camera before, so I thought I would check it out.

I was sent a S500 2-channel dash camera, a Midrive UP02 3-wire hardwire kit and a 70mai 128 GB memory card. I've created some unboxing pictures for the S500 and the accessories sent to me. I'm checking with 70mai to see if the circular 70mai CPL filter will work with the S500 (not listed as one of the supported models).

The first thing that's a bit different with this dash camera is that it records 2592x1944 30 fps video for the front camera using a Sony STARVIS 2 IMX675 image sensor and 1920x1080 25 fps video for the rear camera. It is my current understanding that those resolutions and fps values cannot be changed in the firmware settings of the product.

I'll get more details figured out as I get into my power consumption testing and a test installation into a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

S500 Unboxing Pics:

s500_unboxing_pics_dct00.pngs500_unboxing_pics_dct01.pngs500_unboxing_pics_dct02.pngs500_unboxing_pics_dct03.pngs500_unboxing_pics_dct04.pngs500_unboxing_pics_dct05.pngs500_unboxing_pics_dct06.png

Nice, will be a nice solution for those with older cars for sure and Starvis 2 is pretty decent

Even 70mai getting into memory card business.

And definitely nice for older cars to replace with this mirror and backup camera combo.

Even 70mai getting into memory card business.

And definitely nice for older cars to replace with this mirror and backup camera combo.
Doesn't take much for a company to grab an ODM to get memory cards with their name slapped on it. Million dollar question though is it any more reliable and has it been tested?

I performed the first startup of the S500 2-channel dash camera. This is what I found for the regular/normal recording mode video files.
  • Front (Stored in "Normal\Front" directory)
    • 2592x1944 30fps
    • 24.06 Mbps bitrate
    • 1-minute video file size 174.4 MB
  • Rear (Stored in "Normal\Back" directory)
    • 1920x1080 25fps
    • 12.18 Mbps bitrate
    • 1-minute video file size 87.6 MB

I performed the first startup of the S500 2-channel dash camera. This is what I found for the regular/normal recording mode video files.
  • Front (Stored in "Normal\Front" directory)
    • 2592x1944 30fps
    • 24.06 Mbps bitrate
    • 1-minute video file size 174.4 MB
  • Rear (Stored in "Normal\Back" directory)
    • 1920x1080 25fps
    • 12.18 Mbps bitrate
    • 1-minute video file size 87.6 MB
Par for the course for a decent IMX675 when it comes to bitrate, rear camera is a bit low and 25fps not 30fps irks, but from samples I've seen online it still looks serviceable for the rear.

Par for the course for a decent IMX675 when it comes to bitrate, rear camera is a bit low and 25fps not 30fps irks, but from samples I've seen online it still looks serviceable for the rear.

@Agie
25 fps will specifically reduce the flickering of LED lights.

It's a good thing that the main purpose of this camera is to help provide rear visibility, so there are no light cuts and flickers in the image reflected from the screen, or they are minimal.

Here is an example for you..

So it should be 25 fps. Otherwise, LED vehicles will appear as if there is an alarm signal.
In summary, don't get bored. 25 fps on the rear camera is more suitable in terms of technique, usability and safe driving.

Pertaining CPL filter, there is one in 70mai official store in AliExpress, with a label S500/M300 on it.

Pertaining CPL filter, there is one in 70mai official store in AliExpress, with a label S500/M300 on it.
That CPL filter was already discussed in @Panzer Platform's thread on the S500. It's a third party CPL filter.

I contacted my 70mai rep and they confirmed that 70mai does not currently offer a CPL filter for the S500.

Hey Robert,

Sorry, currently, there is no CPL filter available for the S500.

Best

That CPL filter was already discussed in @Panzer Platform's thread on the S500. It's a third party CPL filter.

I contacted my 70mai rep and they confirmed that 70mai does not currently offer a CPL filter for the S500.
Sorry, my bad. It's an OEM filter, not 70mai official.

Here are my results from my initial power consumption test suite for the 70Mai S500.
  • Video Info
    • H.265/HEVC video codec
    • MP4 file container type
    • Front:
      • 2592x1944 @ 30fps 24 Mbps
      • Placed in a subdirectory named "Front" for the active recording mode
    • Rear (Back):
      • 1920x1080 @ 25fps 12 Mbps
      • Placed in a subdirectory named "Back" for the active recording mode
  • Collision Detection Parking Mode
    • Very low power consumption while waiting for an impact event at 0.03 Watts.
    • The video starts recording about 6 seconds after the triggering impact event.
    • Unbuffered 30 second video files are created for the front and rear cameras.
    • A message is displayed on the screen and a beep is heard when returning to normal recording mode if any impact events where detected and handled in parking mode.
  • Time-Lapse Parking Mode
    • Only creates video files for the front camera in the "Lapse\Front" directory.
      • 2592x1944 30fps video file recorded at 1fps rate
    • No rear camera video files are created in this parking mode.
    • If an impact event occurs in time-lapse parking mode:
      • Collision Detection Is Off:
        • The front camera time-lapse video continues to record
      • Collision Detection Is On:
        • Impact event pauses front camera time-lapse video to create CD videos
        • Time-lapse front video continues 4 seconds after impact event
        • Collision detection 30-second videos start 5 seconds after impact event
        • ** Note **
          • Since time-lapse parking mode does not recording any videos for the rear camera, there will be a 5-second gap between the impact event and the start of the rear camera collision detection recording.
        • After the 30-second collision detection recordings have finished, the S500 returns to time-lapse mode
70mai_s500_power_consumption_fw1017ww_20240420_1030.png70mai_s500_parking_mode_times_fw1017ww.png

Last edited:
I finally had some time to get the S500 installed into my 2006 Toyota Highlander. The rear camera installation recommends placing the rear camera on the outside of the vehicle which most likely requires drilling up to three holes (cable and two for screws to mount the rear camera bracket). I searched for any pre-existing holes to run the cable to the outside of the vehicle, but I did not find any. I don't want to drill any holes for a temporary test/review installation. I ended up 3D printing a black ABS mounting block for the rear camera/bracket. I installed the mounting block on the inside of the rear window glass and then the rear camera to the mounting block. This location seems to be good enough for my testing purposes.

1712013762758.png1712013783092.png1712013865255.png

General Feedback – 02-Apr-2024 - 70mai S500
  • Firmware tested 1.0.17ww
  • Front Camera
    • Camera
      • Sony STARVIS 2 IMX675 image sensor
      • HDR
      • FOV 138° / F 1.8
    • Video – Normal Mode
      • 2592x1944 30fps
      • H.265/HEVC video codec
      • MP4 video container format
      • 24.06 Mbps bitrate
      • 174.38 MB 1-minute video file
    • Lens Adjustment
      • Front camera allows for adjustments up/down and side-to-side along with a rotational adjustment to allow the image to be “level” side-to-side.
    • CPL
      • No CPL made by 70Mai is available at this time (third party offerings may be available)
    • Front Camera Focus
    • Front Camera DVR unit is too heavy for my vehicle's center rear view mirror
      • I installed a different center rear-view mirror in my vehicle to get a mirror mount assembly that was in theory capable of handling additional weight on the center rear-view mirror.
      • The original Toyota Highlander day/night (basic flip mirror) had developed a crack in the ball mount resulting in the mirror shifting position - especially in warmer weather.
      • With the additional weight of the 70mai S500 DVR assembly on the center rear-view mirror, the mirror stays in the selected position, but it allows the S500 to "bounce" from vehicle/engine vibrations.
      • 70mai had mention using a mount assembly that replaces the center rear-view mirror.
      • I'm trying to obtain more info about getting one of those third party mount assemblies in time for my review.
      • Based on the amount of vibration movement, nighttime use with vehicle headlights in the field of view will be "annoying / distracting".
      • You can also see the movement of the S500 front assembly in the slightly shaky front camera video.
  • Rear Camera
    • Camera - I've asked for this info from 70mai
      • SmartSens SC200AI
      • HDR
      • FOV 138° / F 2.2
    • Video – Normal Mode
      • 1920x1080 25 fps
      • H.265/HEVC video codec
      • MP4 video container format
      • 12.01 Mbps bitrate
      • 87.99 MB 1-minute video file
    • Frame Grabs
      • 70mai_s500_NO20240402-095648-000146B.mp4_snapshot_00.42.pngbv_dr970x_box_plus_20240402_095812_NR.mp4_snapshot_00.13.png
  • Strange Things That Have Occurred
    • Lost all settings
      • After the S500 was installed and working, I powered down the S500 by long pressing the power button on the bottom on the front unit.
      • About 10 minutes later, I started the vehicle and the S500 booted up into its initial setup screens.
        • It appears to have lost its entire setup configuration.
        • This only happened one time.
  • Annoying Behavior(s)
    • Reverse Camera Activation / Deactivation
      • I find it annoying that “current screen state (on/off)” is not preserved when you exit the reverse camera viewing.
      • Example
        • Screen is “off”
        • You stop the vehicle and change the gear selection from “Drive” to “Park” (meaning you temporarily pass through reverse).
        • The reverse camera feature turns on for less than a second as you pass through reverse on the way to placing the gear selector in “park”.
        • The screen is now “on” even though before passing through reverse gear it was off.
        • The same thing occurs when going from “Park” to “Drive” as you pass through “Reverse”.
      • It would be helpful to the driver that the full state of the screen (on/off) be restored when exiting the reverse camera mode.
      • If the screen was off before the gear change, the screen remains on after the gear change.
      • Can this be addressed in a future firmware update?

Last edited:
@rcg530, FYI, my S500 has a newer firmware 1.1.23ww.

And if you are interested in finding a mount for the cam - you may search "70mai D07 camera bracket" instead of S500. The mirror cam mount was designed for the previous mirror cam version, but as S500 has the exact physical dimensions as D07, it fits well. I bought it for ~US$12 from AliExpress.

1000016072.jpg

1000016070.jpg
1000016058.jpg

@rcg530, FYI, my S500 has a newer firmware 1.1.23ww.

And if you are interested in finding a mount for the cam - you may search "70mai D07 camera bracket" instead of S500. The mirror cam mount was designed for the previous mirror cam version, but as S500 has the exact physical dimensions as D07, it fits well. I bought it for ~US$12 from AliExpress.

View attachment 71699

View attachment 71700
View attachment 71702
Thanks for the info. 70mai rep provided a picture of the mounting bracket for the camera unit with dimensions for the screw hole locations. I found a match on AliExpress and it did reference a 70mai D07. I just found one that costs $12 USD with free shipping and it will arrive in 1 to 2 weeks.

I have to find out how to get an updated firmware on the S500 like you showed in your screenshot.

Rear Camera
  • Camera - I've asked for this info from 70mai
    • Image sensor: ?
    • HDR
    • FOV ? / F ?.?
  • Image sensor: SmartSens SC200AI
  • HDR
  • FOV 138° / F 2.2
  • IPX7 water protection

You can get the firmware update 1.0.23ww in the 70mai international app.

Back