720p vs 1080p

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, do we really need 1080p for a dashcam? Why not drop down to 720p and get far more record time on your card? Sitting at a computer screen, you really cant discern the difference unless you have a huge screen or you sit really close. Right now as I type, my eyes are 36" from a 22" screen. That is on the threshold of human eyes being able to discern between the two. Anyone have any comparison shots to show otherwise?

I've tested both, couldn't read license plate numbers, or make out facial detail from the lower res 720P model. Most people will want as much detail as possible. It makes more sense to buy a larger memory card than to drop the resolution and usable detail.

After trying the two different resolutions, Im curious, why does the FOV angle change? Resolution should have no bearing on that. The lense focal length controls that, I thought. Also, why does overall PQ change so much? I understand youll have some dropoff, but not the amount Im seeing.

The 720P option on most 1080P dashcams should be removed on most products as it dosen't work well. It's been removed from the SG9665GC for example. It will most likely be removed on the SGZC12SG in the next firmware update.

Honestly, do we really need 1080p for a dashcam? Why not drop down to 720p and get far more record time on your card? Sitting at a computer screen, you really cant discern the difference unless you have a huge screen or you sit really close. Right now as I type, my eyes are 36" from a 22" screen. That is on the threshold of human eyes being able to discern between the two. Anyone have any comparison shots to show otherwise?

If you using Registrator Viewer playback profram you can zoom in even on 10 inch screen and see a difference. No need 40-50" plasma screen.

After trying the two different resolutions, Im curious, why does the FOV angle change? Resolution should have no bearing on that. The lense focal length controls that, I thought. Also, why does overall PQ change so much? I understand youll have some dropoff, but not the amount Im seeing.

Dashcams have FIXED Focal length.
Many common photography-rules does not apply to dashcams due to different approach in hardware used.

When I realized the next morning the rock I thought was kicked up was actually a couple adolescence boys having late night fun shooting up our doors with a pellet gun, I would have liked a dash cam. A video would have helped me and ruined their lives. I haven't needed a dash cam since. I did format a 64 gb micro card to fat32 for the extra record time in case 1080 makes a difference if I do.

So, if they have a fixed focal length, the FOV angle shouldnt change when dropping down to 720p. Why does it then??

Honestly, do we really need 1080p for a dashcam? Why not drop down to 720p and get far more record time on your card?
I don't know if what I'm going to say is completely stupid but I take the example from sound recording: always record at higher quality so you can have good lower quality.
If you render in 1080p a video recorded in 720p you'll never get a real 1080p video. On the other hand, if you do the opposite, your 1080p video will be a real full HD video and your 720p video will have better quality than the if it was made from 720p files. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Anyone have any comparison shots to show otherwise?
I don't know if you're familiar with Techmoan's dashcam review videos but you can find that comparison in pretty much all of them.

Last edited:
Back