A couple of things I'd like to see for a dash camera (that I've NOT seen yet).

Omega-TI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S-2CH
1) SD cards are all well and good, but I'd like to see a dash camera come out with small type C USB connector for a miniature 1 TB hard drive.
2) Built-in software to connect to ones home computer over their WiFi system to dump all footage at the press of a button.
DRIVE.jpg

The idea of using a small external hard drive on a dash cam has been discussed here on numerous occasions. I especially like the newer tiny SSD drives, and the prices for these have been coming way down recently. Tiny SSDs are also available now that could be incorporated directly into a dash cam too. As SATA drives they could even plug into a camera like a cartridge so you could swap in a new one when you need to.

Unfortunately, the current chip-sets in dash cams don't support an interface for recording to a hard drive. Until such time as that happens we're not likely to see hard drive storage for dash cams.

PNYssd.jpg

ssd.jpg

No that's too bad the dasham chips don't support other forms of external storage.
I would rather buy a NAS and have my dashcam unload to that when i get home using wifi, but i do not use wifi and i would rather unravel 50 M of some form of cable - feed that out the window - go down the flights of stairs and plug that into my car than i would use wifi, i do not like the stuff.
So needless to say the cloud stuff, well not like either :)
Just a few of those things i choose to not use, and some find that very weird i don't like what they can not live without, but they better respect it cuz i am not going to change before hell and high water force me to.

A mini hard drive with a micro SD connector would be fine too. I'm sure power would have come from a separate source, but it would be worth it.

Given that remoted cams seems to be the future, this is something which seems very possible, and I would dearly love to see and have it. Even my overly-frugal butt would buy the cam which offers such solid long term recording :rolleyes: Days and weeks vs hours? No contest- take my money and send it express please :cool:

Phil

Double-decker dashcam, remote cameras & remote storage. ;)

Back