A dash cam which can connect to a wifi router?

tsolignani

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Good morning everyone.

In my RV (camper) I keep a LTE/wifi router, so that I would prefer every vehicle's peripherals to connect to the internet via the router, instead of having it's own sim card.

Is there a dash cam that can do that?

Trying to Google for that, I only find cams that cannot connect via WiFi to your mobile phone and not to a car router, so that searching for wifi enable cams it's no use.

Any hint?

Thank you.

Ciao tsolignani, welcome to the forum.

These days many LET enabled smart / cloud systems have a build in SIM card option, but the old way was to connect to any separate 4G internet router beside the camera, so i suppose it could work with a system like that.
I am not sure if the new models with build in SIM can do that still and use another 4G router than its own.
I do also think not all new models have a build in SIM card / router option, some still rely on a remote 4G access point.

But older thinkware and blackvue smart / cloud systems did that, but i am not entirely sure the wifi would reach from inside a car to a camper being towed behind the car.

Most dashcams today have wifi and a APP so you that way can do setting changes / updates and of course DL footage to your phone, but that is also about it for regular wifi.

The Blackvue DR900S has a Cloud feature and connects to a WiFi Router. It will also do so in Parking Mode so providing your router is powered while parked it will alert you of any knocks via the Blackvue App on your phone. I think some of their other cameras (700 series) work in this was as well.

Ciao tsolignani, welcome to the forum.

These days many LET enabled smart / cloud systems have a build in SIM card option, but the old way was to connect to any separate 4G internet router beside the camera, so i suppose it could work with a system like that.
I am not sure if the new models with build in SIM can do that still and use another 4G router than its own.
I do also think not all new models have a build in SIM card / router option, some still rely on a remote 4G access point.

But older thinkware and blackvue smart / cloud systems did that, but i am not entirely sure the wifi would reach from inside a car to a camper being towed behind the car.

Most dashcams today have wifi and a APP so you that way can do setting changes / updates and of course DL footage to your phone, but that is also about it for regular wifi.
Thank you. I guess you're right I just need some model names, searching with Google is rather pointless. Maybe someone else has a router like me and connected his dash cam through it successfully. Thank you.

The Blackvue DR900S has a Cloud feature and connects to a WiFi Router. It will also do so in Parking Mode so providing your router is powered while parked it will alert you of any knocks via the Blackvue App on your phone. I think some of their other cameras (700 series) work in this was as well.
Thank you. That's just what I would need. Yep, the router would be always on and connected to the service battery, not the engine one. The dr900 is unavailable on Amazon, I'll see for another model with the same wifi feature. Thank you.

Just look for dashcams with cloud functionality, and then if needed filter the ones with build in SIM card reader / modem.

And lets see what the user @Vortex Radar have to say, he have experience with these smart / cloud cameras, personally i have never tested such a camera.

Generally these cloud cameras are also among the very most expensive ones.

Any Blackvue with wifi will do it easily, right though the phone app.

That's how I run both of mine.

Latest Garmin Dashcam line will use configured access point(s) to upload event videos to the cloud. You still have to pay for cloud storage if you want your videos after 24 hours.

Back