a SIMPLE dash cam that doesn’t need updating and that WORKS!!!!

Jabrone

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t have a degree in computer science therefore I don’t want to try to figure out how to update a camera by downloading and unzipping and pasting files to a microcard and updating the camera because the manufacturer couldn’t get it right the first time.
I want a camera that will turn on and start recording when I start driving. Unlike the Adzome M300 that likes to record when I’m parked and turn off when I start driving.
Install it and forget about it until I need to remove the microcard to view something. That’s what I want.
And if it requires an app to operate and program….well….it better work, unlike the Azdome M300 whos app crashes everyday and has to be uninstalled then reinstalled.
So, any recommendations?

I don’t have a degree in computer science therefore I don’t want to try to figure out how to update a camera by downloading and unzipping and pasting files to a microcard and updating the camera because the manufacturer couldn’t get it right the first time.
I want a camera that will turn on and start recording when I start driving. Unlike the Adzome M300 that likes to record when I’m parked and turn off when I start driving.
Install it and forget about it until I need to remove the microcard to view something. That’s what I want.
And if it requires an app to operate and program….well….it better work, unlike the Azdome M300 whos app crashes everyday and has to be uninstalled then reinstalled.
So, any recommendations?

I agree with you.
I own 3 Viofo dashcams that I paid (no discount) for and two others I was asked to review. So I could be considered biased.

The one I use and rely on in my daily drive is a Viofo A129 Duo.
It has a front and back camera which both record at 1920x1040 generally referred as high definition.
I don't use the latest firmware (software update) as I'm happy with the way it works.
Why try to fix something that ain't broken.

I'll suggest a Viofo A119 V3. This has now been around for long enough that all significant issues have long been sorted, and it has proved itself very reliable, and since there is no wifi, there is no app, just a simple menu and buttons, and since it is a single channel dashcam, there are never any problems with cabling to rear cameras - you can install a 2nd at the rear if you want a rear camera.

Of course the simplest option isn't always the best option, but given the limited information you have provided, I will leave it there...

It do sound as if you are always connected to the dashcam, that should not be needed with any camera, it could potentially be illegal to have a "video" running on a screen the driver can see.

I must admit i do that some times,but in regard to testing and putting a maximal thermal and workload stress on the system, in day 2 day driving i would of course not want to use / see / hear my phone or dashcam,,,, driving or not.

So, any recommendations?
You have similar sentiments to most dashcam users... unfortunately, using a dashcam does require "some maintenance" . Much like you wouldn't plan on driving your car without changing the oil, it isn't recommended to use a dashcam without regularly reformatting the SD card. That's really the main maintenance item besides making sure your applications/firmware are up to date. All of the above are very simple to do and do not require any advanced technical skills.

If you care to have decent customer support, it would be in your best interest to find out which companies offer good support. One of the main companies that people here recommend, is Viofo. And I own a Viofo dashcam. I know just how difficult communicating with that company can be.

I also have a Blackvue dashcam. I can call that company 6 days a week during normal business hours and get my call answered within about 3 minutes or less. The tech person I speak with understands and communicates well in English. To me, that among other things is why I chose to pay more for Blackvue.

We've all heard that you get what you pay for. If budget runs into getting decent customer support, one has no choice but to try to get a dashcam that has the features you're looking for. And dashcams are similar to other products and services... what pleases one person will undoubtedly not please someone else. - - it's good to have choices!

Last edited:
I totally agree that customer support is right up there with how well a camera can and will work. Sometimes I have purchased something trying to save a buck. Try to get it running right and after calling customer support, only to wind up with a chat room instead! That is why I am leaning hard on Blackvue dashcam or something with great support.

I've heard great things about Guardian Dashcams as well. One pays a bit more for their dashcams, but they have good customer support.

Their cameras don't offer the cloud feature that Blackvue does, but if one doesn't need those features, they'd be good to at least consider.

I totally agree that customer support is right up there with how well a camera can and will work. Sometimes I have purchased something trying to save a buck. Try to get it running right and after calling customer support, only to wind up with a chat room instead! That is why I am leaning hard on Blackvue dashcam or something with great support.
The word "support" is a very generic term...

For some, it may mean having a manufacturer that has a local USA presence with a US phone number with someone that speaks English.
For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that has a foreign presence with a foreign phone number with someone that speaks English.
For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that responds via email.
For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that is a member of this forum that also directly responds to support posts, questions, and problems on this forum.
For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that has a best in class warranty.
For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that provides frequent good firmware updates.
For many, it may be a combination one or more of the above options.

If I'm having an issue with a dashcam, does it really matter to me which of the above methods a manufacturer respond as long as my issue is resolved in a timely manner and to my adequate satisfaction? Not really...
The fact that a manufacturer A does X and Y, but not Z; while manufacturer B does X, Z, but not Y to me is not really relevant as long as my issue is resolved in a timely manner and to my adequate satisfaction.

This answer may be different for you of course.

Speaking of service...https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2022/
Scroll all the way down in that link and you will see this service disclaimer per this very same website:

Brands with the best support​

1. Street Guardian (Best support and 24 month warranty when registering your cam)
  2. VIOFO (Good firmware updates and 18 month warranty)
  3. Garmin (Brand name with good support)

The word "support" is a very generic term...

For some, it may mean having a manufacturer that has a local USA presence with a US phone number with someone that speaks English.
For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that has a foreign presence with a foreign phone number with someone that speaks English.
For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that responds via email.
For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that is a member of this forum that also directly responds to support posts, questions, and problems on this forum.
For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that has a best in class warranty.
For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that provides frequent good firmware updates.
For many, it may be a combination one or more of the above options.

If I'm having an issue with a dashcam, does it really matter to me which of the above methods a manufacturer respond as long as my issue is resolved in a timely manner and to my adequate satisfaction? Not really...
The fact that a manufacturer A does X and Y, but not Z; while manufacturer B does X, Z, but not Y to me is not really relevant as long as my issue is resolved in a timely manner and to my adequate satisfaction.

This answer may be different for you of course.

Scroll all the way down in that link and you will see this service disclaimer per this very same website:

No, support is not a generic term; it's very precise! When people encounter problems with a product or service they purchased, they expect to get their problem addressed quickly. - - And why not?

@Detectorguy seems to know exactly what "good support" is as do most people. There's no question that some people would rather pay less money and put up with lackluster or terrible customer support. I at one time fit that category and used Viofo. I discovered that it's a joke what Viofo puts their customers through. Of course, you can save money if you don't mind putting up with their lousy "support".

As I have mentioned previously, I can call Blackvue customer support 6 days-a-week and get a very good tech person on the line within about 2 or 3 minutes. And they can communicate fully in English without any problem whatsoever.

Blackvue Customer Support
Mon. - Fri 8 am - 7 pm pst
Sat. 9 - 6 pm pst

I won't tell you how hard it is to get an answer/support from Viofo. The same applies to many other dashcam companies.

Everyone knows what good support is. The question is, are you willing to pay the price for good customer support or not. If not, that's fine, for you... but not for me and presumably, not for @Detectorguy.

No, support is not a generic term; it's very precise! When people encounter problems with a product or service they purchased, they expect to get their problem addressed quickly. - - And why not?
Are you suggesting that support cannot be addressed quickly with anyone of the methods below?
  • For some, it may mean having a manufacturer that has a local USA presence with a US phone number with someone that speaks English.
  • For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that has a foreign presence with a foreign phone number with someone that speaks English.
  • For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that responds via email.
  • For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that is a member of this forum that also directly responds to support posts, questions, and problems on this forum.
  • For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that has a best in class warranty.
  • For others, it may mean having a manufacturer that provides frequent good firmware updates.
Obviously to you, it seems "good support" is a phone call and nothing else on this list.
To others, it does not matter as long as the problem is addressed quickly!
I personally don't care if good support comes via phone call, email, text, or a forum post here from the company rep or authorized sellers, through frequent firmware updates, or an extended no hassles warranty exchange as long as it comes quickly.

There's no question that some people would rather pay less money and put up with lackluster or terrible customer support. I at one time fit that category and used Viofo. I discovered that it's a joke what Viofo puts their customers through. Of course, you can save money if you don't mind putting up with their lousy "support".
Do you have a forum thread that you created here documenting the exact issue that you experienced with your dashcam that all of us can see as evidence that nobody here answered or responded to your thread, including any of the company reps or authorized sellers?
I have seen you repeat this several times but never saw a thread that you created with your personal issue. Link?

@Detectorguy
Rather than relying on an individual user's experience which can lead to anecdotal evidence, this website that you are on knows what "good support" is...ask the owner and multiple reviewers.

Brands with the best support​

1. Street Guardian (Best support and 24 month warranty when registering your cam)
  2. VIOFO (Good firmware updates and 18 month warranty)
  3. Garmin (Brand name with good support)
There is a reason why these companies are ranked #1, #2, and #3 respectively among all other manufacturers on this website.
You should not have to pay an inflated price to get good support. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that paying the highest price for any product automatically means that you get the best support, or that you get the best product. That is an illusion.

If it is the "best support" that you want, then go with the very company rated highest (#1) on this list which is Street Guardian.
There is a reason why the other companies are not mentioned...because they're not in the top 3 of course!

You should not have to pay an inflated price to get good support. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that paying the highest price for any product automatically means that you get the best support, or that you get the best product. That is an illusion.
Personally, I much prefer a product that sorts all the problems itself, so that you don't have to bother with extra support from any of the sources you listed. If it can't sort the problems itself then it should give you sufficient diagnostic information that you can easily sort it yourself, or if not then to know that it needs returning under warranty.

If I start my car without inserting a memory card, I expect my dashcam to speak up and tell me that it can't record, and why not. If I start my car without the rear camera plugged in then I expect my dashcam to tell me that it is only recording 1 channel. If the memory card has a write error of some sort then I expect my dashcam to inform me that it has stopped recording and why, not just stop recording for mysterious reasons and without warning. If the camera does nothing then I want to check the power LED, the dashcam needs a power LED for diagnostics, and needs to indicate when it is in parking mode rather than drive mode. Viofo cameras do all these, and more, so most people do not need phone support.

Back